Sustained tropical storm force winds occuring.

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ed Mahmoud

Sustained tropical storm force winds occuring.

#1 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:37 pm

OK, sure, it is in parts of Nebraska and Kansas. I've never even been to Nebraska. But we get all excited about a minimal tropical storm like Edouard, and we got really exciting weather to look at, including a blizzard warning, for parts of Kansas and Nebraska!

Code: Select all

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
MC COOK        LGT RAIN  40  34  79 NW45G53   30.14R WCI  26
AINSWORTH      LGT SNOW  36  36 100 N40G47    30.10F WCI  21

GOODLAND       CLOUDY    41  26  55 N41G56    30.21S

5 to 12 inches of snow tonight and near zero visibility in blowing snow with 40 mph winds.

I know tropical cyclones are exciting, and the big ones can be awe inspiring. I won't forget Allison, or Ike, or almost seeing my first "R" rated movie because we evacuated our home in coastal Massapequa to my dad's co-workers house a few miles inland during Hurricane Belle, and they had cable, and the lights went out right at the blue MPAA screen, and when we went home the next day, a weeping willow tree had punched a hole in the roof of the Smith's house.

By the same token, I won't forget the glorious 5 missed days of school in February 1978 during the blizzard. And not just any school. Catholic school, St. Martin of Tours in Amityville, with nuns. Sour tempered nuns. Actually, I had several very nice nuns as teachers. But not Sister Grace Edward. No, sir.

So, expand the horizons, you tropical people still posting about 91L. And it is even more rare, and thus as exciting, for snow to fall in some places hit by hurricanes. I think the rareness factor is about equal here in Houston, but if it were to snow in Tampa Bay this winter, that would rock.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:12 pm

Blizzards are quite common there, but October is really early for Kansas. Usually, a blizzard in October would be way up in the Dakotas.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”