10 degrees.......in August

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Scott Patterson
Category 2
Category 2

10 degrees.......in August

#1 Postby Scott Patterson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:19 pm

I'm a little late (haven't been active lately), but here's something interesting.

Has anyone here ever recorded 10F degrees in August? Last August I actually did while camping high in the Beartooth Mountains of Montana.

My diary quotes the following:

The last night was the most incredibly cold summer night I had ever spent. The temperature dropped to an almost unbelievable 10F (-12C) and all of our water bottles froze solid. Since our elevation was lower than previous nights, I presume that the cold air sinks off the mountains and pools into this meadow. In fact, this night at least tied the coldest temperature at a camp I have ever recorded anytime between April 17 and October 25. I stayed warm throughout the night, but Kessler got cold and we put his parka on in the middle of the night. A porcupine and skunk (?) kept me up much of the night.

Below is the photograph I took of the frozen waterbottle:

If you want to see photos of what the terrain looks like, there are some below:

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/547714/Beautiful-Beartooths-Photo-Trip-Report-.html

Even though it was up in the mountains, I still found it amazing that the temperature dropped to 10F on an August 28! :cold: It seems the area we were camping in that night forms a cold air sink, sink none of the other nights were close to that cold. It was interesting, if a bit chilly, at least it was chilly for August.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”