Tornado Expert Ranks Top Tornado Cities

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.
Message
Author
User avatar
StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 5436
Age: 35
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:45 am
Location: Kissimmee, Florida

Tornado Expert Ranks Top Tornado Cities

#1 Postby StormingB81 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:21 pm

Tornado Expert Ranks Top Tornado Cities

Thought this would be an interesting read for some.
0 likes   

User avatar
StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 5436
Age: 35
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:45 am
Location: Kissimmee, Florida

#2 Postby StormingB81 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:22 pm

0 likes   

User avatar
jasons
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive
Posts: 7113
Age: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: The Woodlands, TX

Re: Tornado Expert Ranks Top Tornado Cities

#3 Postby jasons » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:29 pm

Wow, that is quite interesting indeed.

Something to remember is that most of the tornadoes in Florida & the Gulf Coast are EF0 or EF1 as opposed to the more violent ones on the plains and other locations.
0 likes   

Florida1118
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1711
Age: 19
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:57 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida

Re: Tornado Expert Ranks Top Tornado Cities

#4 Postby Florida1118 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:37 am

jasons wrote:Wow, that is quite interesting indeed.

Something to remember is that most of the tornadoes in Florida & the Gulf Coast are EF0 or EF1 as opposed to the more violent ones on the plains and other locations.

Ya, EF2 is also somewhat common. I'm guessing that's why tornado sirens aren't here in Florida because we don't get very violent tornadoes, although when we do it tends to be a disaster. From 1950-1995, Florida Tornado Statistics-
Number-2104
Deaths-85
Injuries2631
Cost-$504,000,000
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 2111
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:46 am

#5 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:09 am

Sorry, but I don't consider TWC to be a factual source since NBC took over. Even Lyons himself has been commercialized. He would do well to leave there and go to a credible employer.
0 likes   

Florida1118
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1711
Age: 19
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:57 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida

Re: Tornado Expert Ranks Top Tornado Cities

#6 Postby Florida1118 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:34 pm

WeatherGuesser wrote:Sorry, but I don't consider TWC to be a factual source since NBC took over. Even Lyons himself has been commercialized. He would do well to leave there and go to a credible employer.
Lyons hasnt been on TWC for a while. Sorry but I find the man (Dr.Forbes) who helped create the Fujita scale a credible source for making a list of tornado cities.
0 likes   

User avatar
wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met
Posts: 16337
Age: 59
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:06 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Tornado Expert Ranks Top Tornado Cities

#7 Postby wxman57 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:50 am

Florida1118 wrote:
WeatherGuesser wrote:Sorry, but I don't consider TWC to be a factual source since NBC took over. Even Lyons himself has been commercialized. He would do well to leave there and go to a credible employer.
Lyons hasnt been on TWC for a while. Sorry but I find the man (Dr.Forbes) who helped create the Fujita scale a credible source for making a list of tornado cities.


Yes, Steve Lyons left TWC to be Meteorologist in Charge at the NWS office in San Angelo, TX over a year ago.

I don't think WeatherGuesser is doubting the statistics, just stating the fact that Gulf Coast tornadoes are typically quite weak and short-lived. Waterspouts count in the statistics, too.
0 likes   


Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brent, TexasBreeze and 15 guests