Texas wildfires-Updated

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#141 Postby Shoshana » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:35 pm

Texas Storm Chasers
President Obama has signed a Federal Declaration of Disaster for Texas, allowing for more resources. #txfire #centraltxfires

Dewhurst kept writing and requesting.

Here's a vid of the fire in Cass County (NE TX)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG0rOBgyjPI&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

Re: Texas wildfires

#142 Postby somethingfunny » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:49 am

WOW at that video Shoshana. That one's been sending smoke signals over here to DFW.

It's about time on that federal major disaster declaration. Without getting into politics, I did some research for some perspective on the declaration:

All information is from here:
http://www.fema.gov/news/disasters.fema

We had one declaration signed on July 1st:
http://www.fema.gov/news/event.fema?id=14975

It only applied to the fires we had back in April, and only covered a limited number of counties:
http://www.fema.gov/pdf/news/pda/1999.pdf

Now we have this. It appears to only cover Bastrop County.
http://www.fema.gov/news/event.fema?id=15672

Those are both "Major Disaster Declarations". What we HAVE had are lots of "Fire Management Assistance Declarations":

Number Date State Incident
2967 09/08 Texas Big Oak Fire
2966 09/08 Washington Monastery Fire Complex
2965 09/06 Texas Bear Creek Fire
2964 09/06 Texas Riley Road Fire
2963 09/06 Texas Moonglow Fire
2962 09/06 Texas Tamina Fire
2961 09/05 California Canyon Fire
2960 09/05 Texas Steiner Ranch Fire
2959 09/05 Texas Pedernales Bend Fire
2958 09/04 Texas Bastrop County Fire Complex
2957 09/04 Texas Hodde Fire

...And many more prior to that.

Now looking at some of the other major disaster declarations, they all seem to take about a week to get to the president's desk:

Major Disaster Declarations
Number Date State Incident Description Designated Counties
4029 09/09 Texas Wildfires Link to 4029 Declared Counties page
4028 09/03 Massachusetts Tropical Storm Irene Link to 4028 Declared Counties page
4027 09/03 Rhode Island Tropical Storm Irene Link to 4027 Declared Counties page
4026 09/03 New Hampshire Tropical Storm Irene Link to 4026 Declared Counties page
4025 09/03 Pennsylvania Hurricane Irene Link to 4025 Declared Counties page
4024 09/03 Virginia Hurricane Irene Link to 4024 Declared Counties page
4023 09/02 Connecticut Tropical Storm Irene Link to 4023 Declared Counties page
4022 09/01 Vermont Tropical Storm Irene Link to 4022 Declared Counties page
4021 08/31 New Jersey Hurricane Irene Link to 4021 Declared Counties page
4020 08/31 New York Hurricane Irene Link to 4020 Declared Counties page
4019 08/31 North Carolina Hurricane Irene Link to 4019 Declared Counties page
4018 08/30 Iowa Severe Storms and Flooding Link to 4018 Declared Counties page
4017 08/27 Puerto Rico Hurricane Irene Link to 4017 Declared Counties page

Irene hit Puerto Rico on August 22, North Carolina August 27, and New Jersey August 28. Well maybe it doesn't take a week in places that aren't Texas, but it certainly takes a few days. Tropical Storm Lee's massive floods haven't hit Obama's desk yet.

The July 1st disaster declaration was amended several times to add other counties (notably, Palo Pinto wasn't included until August 18th despite having the massive Possum Kingdom fire back in April), so hopefully other counties like Cass, Montgomery, Waller, Travis, Williamson, Bexar, Harris, Smith, Harrison, Palo Pinto again....the list goes on and on....will be added soon.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#143 Postby Stephanie » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:14 am

The poor wildlife! :cry:

It was interesting to see on that video areas where the fire had gone through and it seemed like it spared some of the trees. I'll be that they were praying that the wind didn't make those flames licking at the highway cross over. Scary stuff!
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#144 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:07 pm

Short update on the Riley Rd. fire(Magnolia, TX.) Total acreage burned is over 21,000 Acres. No new acreage burned in the last 24 hours. Still a lot of hot spots and burning areas to be put out. Some evacuees are being allowed to return home in Waller County this evening. For detailed info go to http://www.facebook.com/WallerCountyFireInfo. http://www.facebook.com/Montgomerycountyfireinfo

091111 10:30AM FIRE UPDATE
The Texas Forest Service now shows the Riley Road Fire to be the #3 priority fire in Texas and the Nation. The total acreage burned for the Tri-County area is shown at 21,619. According the TFS report, no additional acreage was lost in the past 24 hours. The overall containment for the Riley Road fire is currently listed at 40 percent.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

#145 Postby Houstonia » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:11 pm

I'm glad to hear there's been no new acreage burned, but it's windy here in southwest Houston which DOES worry me for them. I drove up to Waller County fairgrounds yesterday with bags of dog/cat food, women's "necessities" water, and paper products. I was directed away from the fairgrounds as they were full up with donations. I was sent to Pine Island Baptist Church which was prepared for evacuees, but so far empty.

vbhoutex wrote:Short update on the Riley Rd. fire(Magnolia, TX.) Total acreage burned is over 21,000 Acres. No new acreage burned in the last 24 hours. Still a lot of hot spots and burning areas to be put out. Some evacuees are being allowed to return home in Waller County this evening. For detailed info go to http://www.facebook.com/WallerCountyFireInfo. http://www.facebook.com/Montgomerycountyfireinfo

091111 10:30AM FIRE UPDATE
The Texas Forest Service now shows the Riley Road Fire to be the #3 priority fire in Texas and the Nation. The total acreage burned for the Tri-County area is shown at 21,619. According the TFS report, no additional acreage was lost in the past 24 hours. The overall containment for the Riley Road fire is currently listed at 40 percent.
0 likes   

Turtle
Category 1
Category 1

#146 Postby Turtle » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:06 am

Wow, a new wildfire popped up 5 miles from here. (200 acres only) Luckily the wind is blowing the smoke East, so no smoke here.
0 likes   

txwxpirate
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#147 Postby txwxpirate » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:45 am

The tri-county fire is 65% contained.
If anyone needs sheltering:

The following shelters have been opened.

* Waller County Fair Grounds, 22000 Fairground Road in Hempstead
* Grimes County Fair Grounds, FM 3455 near Highway 90, Navasota
* Knights of Columbus, 22892 Mack Washington Lane in Hempstead
* St. John's Lutheran Church, 1613 Key Street in Waller
* Wildwood Methodist Church, 8911 F.M. 1488
* First Baptist Church, 801 East Goliad, in Crockett

Montgomery County officials said donations for fire victims should be coordinated through the United Way at 281-292-4155, ext. 265.

kprc.com
0 likes   
Show Me That Horizon
Nassau Bay, Tx

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#148 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:31 am

Fire Weather Update (Monday AM)‏

7:13 AM
Jeffrey (Flood Control) Lindner

Significant gains were made over the weekend with the ongoing fires across the region.

Weather conditions will be similar today and Tuesday with gusty afternoon winds and low afternoon RH. Winds will be generally light and from the southwest this morning at less than 10mph and then become gusty from the south and southeast after the seabreeze passage late this afternoon/early evening at 10-20mph. Afternoon RH will fall to less than 25% for most locations prior to the seabreeze and then increase to 50-60% after the seabreeze passes and moist Gulf air spreads inland. Given dry fuels, fire conditions will remain elevated. Fire have been tending to start into the 300-600pm time frame each afternoon and this is when conditions will be most critical and winds shifting/chaotic near the inland advancing seabreeze.

Note: With upper level ridging building back over the area, high temperatures will be reaching into the upper 90’s/low 100’s for the next 2-3 days with record highs likely falling. Should see cooler conditions toward the end of the week and for the first time since Lee passed to our east a 20% chance of rain by Friday as moisture levels deepen.

Riley Fire:

18,468 acres has burned and is 65% contained this morning. A total of 60 homes have been destroyed and 23 damaged. These numbers have been revised as ground crews have completed an assessment over the weekend. 698 personnel are actively working this fire with the main focus being on holding the current fire lines, fireproofing structures inside the containment area, and extinguishing hot spots. A totals of 8 air tankers, 7 helicopters and the DC-10 air tankers continue to work this fire. A unified command was established for this fire being lead by a California Incident Management Team. Evacuations remain in place for areas of Waller, Grimes, and Montgomery counties.

Bastrop Fire:

34,068 acres have burned and the fire is now 50% contained. 1437 homes have been lost on this fire (roughly 7%) of the total homes in Bastrop County and 17 residents are unaccounted for. A total of 1351 personnel are working this fire including 176 fire engines, 14 dozer crews, and multiple aircraft. Crews have been able to hold fire lines for several days and continue to work hot spots. Starting today and continuing through Thursday residents will be allowed back into subdivisions impacted by this fire in the following order:

Monday, September 12--Circle D, Pine Valley, KC Estates, and Pine Hill Estates

Tuesday, September 13--ColoVista-Southern Portion, Wilderness Ridge, Harmon Road, Cottletown Road, Bastrop State Park, Beuscher State Park, Park Road 1C South.

Thursday, September 15--Pine Forest, Tahitian Village East, ColoVista North, Mcallister.

FEMA has declared Bastrop County a federal disaster area on September 9th, opening to door for federal funds to help individuals.

Harris County (BUSH IAH Fire):

A large wildfire developed around 445pm Sunday afternoon on the northwest side of BUSH IAH near FM 1960 and Birnham Rd, at least 100 acres have been burned. The fire is 95% contained this morning. The fire was started from sparks from an 18-wheeler’s brakes. One apartment complex was evacuated.

Other Fires from TFS:

BEAR CREEK (#536), Cass County.

49,997 acres, 80 percent contained. The fire is burning very actively in heavy timber and is threatening numerous houses. Scoopers, heavy airtankers, and Texas Intrastate Fire Mutual Aid System engines are assisting. Twenty-four homes have been destroyed just southeast of Linden. A Type 1 Incident Management Team is assisting with management of the fire.

DIANA (#545), Upshur County.

809 acres, 75 percent contained. The fire is burning in grass and timber. Twenty homes are threatened. There was a catch out yesterday.

BONBIEW RANCH, Van Zandt County.

350 acres, 80 percent contained. Twenty homes were saved southeast of Canton. No new information was received.

BOOT WALKER (#553), Marion County.

1,047 acres, 80 percent contained. A wind shift to the south could threaten 30 homes. Access to the fire is limited.

ARBOR, Houston County.

3,000 acres, 90 percent contained. The fire is burning in timber. Up to 15 homes are reported lost.

OLD MAGNOLIA, Gregg County.

3,341 acres, 80 percent contained. Several structures and a gas plant are threatened. The fire is burning in pine plantation
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

txwxpirate
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#149 Postby txwxpirate » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:45 am

I saw the smoke from the IAH fire coming back from LA yesterday.
I knew we were coming into Texas when I saw all the smoke
on the border of LA/TX.

Here is some good news (from FB)

Magnolia TX Fire and Evacuation Information
Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management 10:00 Update: It appears that eight (8) homes were lost in Montgomery County and over twelve (12) exterior buildings. What was lost compared to what was saved and what could have been destroyed speaks of the enormous effort by the team that worked so hard to bring this fire into submission.
0 likes   
Show Me That Horizon
Nassau Bay, Tx

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#150 Postby Shoshana » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:30 pm

from kwtx.com

BELL COUNTY (September 13, 2011)—A rapidly spreading wildfire was threatening homes Tuesday afternoon in the area of FM 2484 and Union Grove Park on the south side of Stillhouse Hollow Lake just northwest of Salado.

Some homes were being evacuated because of the fire and FM 2484 was closed to traffic in the area.

Firefighters from a dozen area departments and the Texas Forest Service were fighting the flames and at least three bulldozers were en route to the scene.

A News 10 reporter said trees are exploding in flames and flames are shooting as high as 60-feet in the air.

“We’ve got a lot of fire and a lot of wind,” one firefighter said.

The fire is burning in tall grass, thick brush and thickets of trees.

It had spread over about 100 acres by mid-afternoon and the smoke is visible for miles.

A red flag warning is in effect for most of Central Texas until 8 p.m. Tuesday because of the hot, dry conditions and the rising wind.

Forecasters said gusty winds, humidity as low as 10 percent and temperatures or around 105 degrees would combine to create a critical wildfire threat.

There was also a report Tuesday afternoon of a wildfire burning just north of Hillsboro along Interstate 35 near Old Brandon Road.

One lane of the highway was closed in the area of the fire because of blowing smoke, the Texas Department of Transportation said.

wfaa.com

MONTAGUE COUNTY - Several fire departments are battling a brush fire burning in western Montague County, along U.S. 287 north of Bowie.
Highway 287 is now closed and firefighters have asked to stop all train traffic so they can get to the blaze.

Authorities said 10 families have been evacuated from the path of the fire, but evacuations may continue as shifting winds have begun to push the flames towards Bowie. School buses are standing by for evacuations, if they are needed.

Two barns are threatened by the fire.

News 8 photojournalist Gary Ultee in HD Chopper 8 said this is the fastest-moving fire he's seen this summer.

More on this story as it develops

There's video at wfaa.com
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#151 Postby somethingfunny » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:00 pm

I ran into this on my way home today (the Interstate 30/635 interchange in Mesquite)

My cell phone doesn't have the best camera so that's as fast as I could take shots without stopping on the bridge and gawking/choking on smoke. There was a pickup on fire on the shoulder of 635 (behind the thick smoke) .... those flames burned up the whole area between the highway and the on-ramp, but was extinguished before it could jump the onramp.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#152 Postby Shoshana » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:57 pm

from khou.com

KATY, Texas – Multiple fire departments were called to the scene of a grass fire in George Bush Park Tuesday afternoon.
The fire was burning on the park grounds, just north of the 16500 block of Westheimer Parkway.
It was not immediately clear how big the fire was or what might have sparked it.
HFD, the Cy-Fair Fire Department and the West I-10 Volunteer Fire Department were among the crews responding to the scene.
Khou.com will update this story as additional details become available
0 likes   

ndale
Category 1
Category 1

#153 Postby ndale » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Channel 13 in Houston has live video of the Katy fire and reports are it has grown exponentially in the last hour.

Edit at 5:21: Now reports of 2 alarm apartment blaze on Cinnamon Creek & Fredericksburg Rd prompting evacuations in San Antonio.
0 likes   
Any opinions stated are those of an amateur, please take with several grains of salt and for official forecast refer to the National Weather Service.

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

#154 Postby Houstonia » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:03 pm

As per Jeff Lindner:

Major wildfire is burning out of control in George Bush Park just west of HWY 6 in Barker Reservoir. Numerous fire departments are responding including HFD, Cy-Fair, I-10 west VFD and HPD with air support. Additional air support to drop water has been requested. At this time the fire is burning NE and remains contained to within the park limits with no significant structures threatened. Fire is showing extreme behavior and crowning in small trees/brush in the south winds of 10-15mph. A large smoke plume is being generated and the fire is now large enough to be visible on the HGX radar.

Evacuations have been ordered along the west side of Hwy 6 from Westhiemer to Noble as a precaution.

I've only found one place that has said this about evacuations and that was KHOU.com - none of the other TV stations are reporting evacuations. Can anyone else confirm?
0 likes   

setxsunshine
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#155 Postby setxsunshine » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:42 pm

thank all of you for posting updates and keeping us informed.
0 likes   

Dave
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#156 Postby Dave » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:29 pm

This is an ongoing situation report from this past weekend.

Code: Select all

TEXAS FOREST SERVICE INCIDENT MANAGEMENT SITUATION REPORT
Tuesday, September 13, 2011
National Preparedness Level: 4
Southern Area Preparedness Level: 4
TFS Preparedness Level: 5

CURRENT SITUATION

Yesterday Texas Forest Service responded to 10 new fires for 179 acres. In the past seven days Texas Forest Service has responded to 127 fires for 9,205 acres.

Assessment crews continue to survey the damage of numerous fires that occurred across Central and East Texas during the past week. It is currently estimated that 1,939 homes have been destroyed since Labor Day weekend.

Engines from the Texas Intrastate Fire Mutual Aid System (TIFMAS) have been instrumental in protecting homes on many of the large, catastrophic fires around the state. In the past week, 135 engines and 559 firefighters have responded from fire departments across the state.

Aviation resources were also critical in fighting the recent outbreak of fires. Since Labor Day weekend, aircraft have flown more than 1,800 hours and dropped more than 5.5 million gallons of water and retardant. Six heavy airtankers, three water scoopers, 15 single-engine airtankers, four C-130 MAFFS airtankers, 13 helicopters, and 17 air attack aircraft and lead planes are being utilized. Eleven Texas Army National Guard Blackhawk and Chinook helicopters from San Antonio, Austin, and Grand Prairie have been crucial in the fight as well.

New large fires from yesterday (more than 100 acres in timber, 300 acres in lighter fuels; or where homes were lost): None.

Uncontained fires from previous days (more than 100 acres in timber, 300 acres in lighter fuels):

BASTROP COUNTY COMPLEX, Bastrop County. 34,068 acres, 60 percent contained. The 719-acre Union Chapel Fire is now included in this complex and is being managed by the Southern Area Type I Incident Management Team. Crews and equipment continue to protect homes within the perimeter. There is no fire burning outside the main containment lines. An assessment team has confirmed 1,554 homes have been destroyed on the large Bastrop fire and the Union Chapel Fire. Two civilians were found dead Tuesday as search crews went through the charred subdivisions. A FEMA Management Assistance Grant was received.

BEAR CREEK (#536), Cass County. 40,548 acres, 80 percent contained. Sixty-six homes have been destroyed just southeast of Linden. A Type 1 Incident Management Team is assisting with management of the fire. A FEMA Management Assistance Grant was received.

RILEY ROAD, Grimes/Montgomery/Waller counties. 18,946 acres, 75 percent contained. The California Type I Incident Management Team will transition the fire to a Type 3 organization later today, but will continue to provide oversight for that fire and new fires in Southeast Texas. A FEMA Management Assistance Grant was received.

DOTSON, Cherokee County. 1,900 acres, contained. The fire is burning three miles west of Alto in timber.

#262, Harrison County. 800 acres, 85 percent contained. This fire is under investigation to determine if it is a new start or a carryover from the #262 fire in July. Heavy airtankers, four MAFFS C-130’s, and the DC-10 dropped retardant on this fire yesterday.

MARSHALL, Harrison County. 800 acres, 90 percent contained. The fire is burning actively in timber. Heavy airtankers, C-130’s, scoopers, and helicopters assisted. Evacuations occurred but no homes were lost.

#548 (was #543), Rusk County. 380 acres, contained. The fire is burning in grass and timber.
DIANA (#545), Upshur County. 809 acres, 75 percent contained. The fire is burning in grass and timber. Twenty homes are threatened. There was a catch out yesterday.

BOOT WALKER (#553), Marion County. 1,047 acres, 80 percent contained. A wind shift to the south could threaten 30 homes. Access to the fire is limited.

OLD MAGNOLIA/MOORE, Gregg County. 4,909 acres, 80 percent contained. Several structures and a gas plant are threatened. The fire is burning in pine plantation.

101 RANCH, Palo Pinto County. 6,555 acres, 85 percent contained. Crews and aircraft continue to monitor the fire. Thirty-nine homes and nine RV’s have been reported destroyed. Crews continue to mop up and aircraft are monitoring. A FEMA Management Assistance Grant (FMAG) was received.
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#157 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:53 am

Latest from Jeff on the wildfires:

Wildfire Update (Wednesday AM)‏

Several new fires developed yesterday across the region.

Elevated fire conditions will be in place again today.

Since Labor Day weekend, 1939 homes have been lost in several catastrophic fires across east and central Texas. In the past 7 days TFS has responded to 149 fires burning 17,334 acres. Texas Intrastate Mutual Aid System has supplies 135 fire engines and 559 fire fighters to battle the massive fires. Aircraft have flown over 1800 hours dropping more than 5.5 million gallons of water and retardant. A total of 6 heavy air tankers, 3 water scoopers, 15 single engine air tankers, 4 C-130 air tankers, 13 helicopters, 17 air attack aircraft, 11 National Guard Blackhawk and Chinook helicopters, and 1 DC-10 super heavy air tanker have been utilized to fight the fires.

Fire Weather:

Elevated fire weather conditions will be in place again today across the region. Winds are already blowing from the SW this morning in the 5-8mph range and will increase into the 10-15mph range by early afternoon. Seabreeze front will progress inland reaching US 59 by 500-600pm bringing gusty S/SE winds behind the boundary of 15-20mph for a few hours. Afternoon RH will fall into the 10-20% range by mid afternoon. Ground fuels are very dry or dead supporting explosive fire growth and rapid spread. As noted yesterday, once fires start they are difficult to bring under control.

Record high temperatures are also expected again today in the low 100’s.

Should begin to see greater afternoon RH on Thursday into the weekend as Gulf moisture begins to increase. Incoming frontal boundary from the north and seabreeze from the Gulf may produce enough lifting with enough moisture in place for a few thunderstorms Thursday mainly NE of a line from Liberty to Huntsville. Any storms will be isolated and rainfall spotty, but lightening will be a big concern for potential additional fire starts.

Rain chances creep up slightly to 20% over the weekend mainly supported by the seabreeze. Could see 30% chances by early to mid next week, but following the GFS model is not overly aggressive with rain chances and looks less organized with convection than on past runs. Have seen better looking rain potential go unrealized the past several months, and given the historic drought in place will trend toward the drier side of the rain chances for now.

Fire Updates:

Harris County (George Bush Park):

1500 acres burned rapidly yesterday afternoon/evening west of SH 6 and S of I-10. The fire burned through park area and did not threaten any homes. Portions of SH 6 and Barker Cypress Rd were closed yesterday evening, but have been reopened. HFD is reporting the fire is 99% contained this morning, but at least 30 fire fighters remain on this fire monitoring the fire lines cut overnight by PCT 3 and TFS. Yesterday afternoon at least 150 fire fighters and several other personnel from PCT 3 and TFS were working this fire.

Bastrop Fire:

The most destructive fire in Texas history has burned 34,068 acres and 1554 homes. 2 persons were killed and 2 persons remain missing. The fire is 70% contained and since September 7th, no homes have been lost. 95% of Bastrop State Park burned (all except 100 acres). Estimated insured losses are around 150 million dollars for this fire. Numerous crews continue to work this fire to maintain fire lines and put down hot spots. Bastrop County has been declared a federal disaster area and FEMA has established a disaster assistance center in Bastrop.

Note: of the 24 fire fighters on the Heart of Pines VFD, 20 lost their homes on this fire.

Tri-County Fire:

18,960 acres have burned with 76 homes lost and 23 homes damaged. This fire is 95% contained however flare ups continue nearly daily on the flanks around Magnolia. Most of the evacuation orders have been lifted across Grimes, Montgomery, and Waller counties. 136 personnel continue to maintain the 45 miles fire perimeter. 4 aircraft continue to work this fire on hot spots. 100% containment is expected on Thursday 9-15.

Trinity County:

Wildfire was started yesterday afternoon (11 miles east of Trinity TX) after an 18-wheeler accident. 1200 acres burned in heavy pine forest and threatened 6 homes. Numerous fire departments and TFS crews responded and as of this morning he fire is 95% contained.

Walker County:

The wildfire that has burned several thousand acres west of I-45 or 15 miles west of Huntsville in Walker County flared up Tuesday afternoon burning an additional 480 acres in heavy pine and brush near FM 1693 and Hopewell Rd. 7 homes were threatened. The fire is now 75% contained, but flare ups on this fire have been common. TFS and Huntsville FD are working his fire along with support from Walker County SO.

Northeast Texas Fire Complex: (Bear Creek fire, Magnolia Complex, Dotson Fire ):

Fie has burned 47,681 acres and destroyed 66 homes. Numerous ground and air crews continue to battle these fires over 3 counties including the arrival of a 20-person hot spot crew from the western US today. Fires are 60-80% contained.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

horselattitudesfarm
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#159 Postby horselattitudesfarm » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:35 pm

somethingfunny wrote:I ran into this on my way home today (the Interstate 30/635 interchange in Mesquite)

My cell phone doesn't have the best camera so that's as fast as I could take shots without stopping on the bridge and gawking/choking on smoke. There was a pickup on fire on the shoulder of 635 (behind the thick smoke) .... those flames burned up the whole area between the highway and the on-ramp, but was extinguished before it could jump the onramp.

I think your inspection sticker is out of date :wink:
0 likes   

Garnet1995
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#160 Postby Garnet1995 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:04 pm

This is the fire yesterday in Katy. About 3:30 yesterday the power went out then came back on and flickered. This is what I saw when I walked out of the front of the school yesterday to load the car riders. [img][/img]
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”