Bitterly cold air on GEM model for Southeast U.S. and South

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
asd123
Category 1
Category 1

Bitterly cold air on GEM model for Southeast U.S. and South

#1 Postby asd123 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:29 pm

NOTICE TO THE PEOPLE WHO ARE VERY BEGINNERS IN LEARNING ABOUT WEATHER: THIS MODEL LINK THAT I PROVIDED TODAY (ASSUMING IMAGE AND/OR LOOP IS SAME) IS NOT REALITY, IT IS SOME KIND OF BUG AND/OR ERROR.

:froze: :cold: :cheesy: :ggreen: :thermo:

Check out the GEM http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis ... _seus.html

WATCH ENTIRE LOOP to see the bitterly cold air for the Southeast U.S., South and Texas

P.S. I know it's an error on data processing, but nevertheless funny and entertaining.
Last edited by asd123 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Bitterly cold air on GEM model for Southeast U.S. and South

#2 Postby FireRat » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:17 am

Not so far-fetched :grrr:

Will take that gladly here in Florida! 8-)

Looks plausible for like November-December hehe
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:07 pm

Well, I wouldn't call it "bitterly cold" air as the OP stated, but we will likely see a significant cooldown within the next 7 days or so as the AO and NAO are in a very negative phase right now, along with a positive PNA.

Deep troughing should occur over the Eastern side of the CONUS by late this weekend into early next week. Checking models, it appears to me that the source region of the cool air mass coming down within the next week may be more of Pacific origin, as opposed from the true arctic regions we see generally especially from December- February. This may change, but I don't anticipate record cold at this time.

However, definitely, we should see a another cooldown, at least similar to the one we briefly had earlier this month, with mins in the 40s across North Florida by next week.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby WeatherGuesser » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:20 pm

I can handle the cooldowns, but I'd rather they didn't bring storms.
0 likes   

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

#5 Postby asd123 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:23 pm

Again 12z GEM http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis ... eus_26.png
:cold: :cold: :cold: :cold: :cold: :cold: :cold: :cold: :cold: :froze: :froze: :froze: :froze: :froze: :froze: :froze: :froze: :froze: :froze: :froze:

Image from Tropical Tidbits
Last edited by asd123 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 9 times in total.
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby Ralph's Weather » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:28 pm

Wow, what is up with that model?
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

#7 Postby asd123 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:30 pm

Ralph's Weather wrote:

Wow, what is up with that model?

Most likely data processing issues (my opinion) but if you want to know the exact answer, email Levi. I watch all the models from Tropical Tidbits every day and this does not happen that often.
0 likes   

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

#8 Postby asd123 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:24 pm

NOTICE TO THE PEOPLE WHO ARE VERY BEGINNERS IN LEARNING ABOUT WEATHER: THIS MODEL LINK THAT I PROVIDED TODAY (ASSUMING IMAGE AND/OR LOOP IS SAME) IS NOT REALITY, IT IS SOME KIND OF BUG AND/OR ERROR.

I am going to cover up my plants and my pipes :cold: :lol: :hehe:
0 likes   

EF-5bigj
Category 3
Category 3

#9 Postby EF-5bigj » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Amusing though :)
0 likes   

HURRICANELONNY
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby HURRICANELONNY » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:44 am

Looks like it's making national news:

http://news.yahoo.com/remnant-typhoon-n ... 35931.html
0 likes   
hurricanelonny

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

#11 Postby asd123 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:42 pm

This seems to be a genuine forecast and not a bug in the models, data, or Tropical Tidbits:

Image courtesy of Tropical Tidbits:

0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby gatorcane » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:49 pm

:uarrow: That would be something if that verified above especially when you look at how deep those frigid temps dive down the FL peninsula...here is the coldest I can see the 12Z GFS run shows around this similar timeframe. Seems more realistic but still quite a bit below normal for all of Florida! :cold:

0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”