Informative website issues

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
asd123
Category 1
Category 1

Informative website issues

#1 Postby asd123 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:08 pm

Tropicaltidbits one of the most beloved websites on this forum has been suffering DDoS attacks. Earlier, some model runs weren't loading, everything was fine for a couple of hours, and now the website is not working.

Additionally Metostar weather, home of the GFS control table forecasts is running, but 16 day forecasts haven't loaded for more than 24 hours (since 18z 11/20). http://wxweb.meteostar.com/search/getwe ... ocid=25715

PS: I have noticed that at times this forum seems dead: only less than 10 registered members and about 50-60 guests. We can increase attendance: We have plenty of weather to talk about! :P
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Informative website issues

#2 Postby asd123 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:27 pm

asd123 wrote:Tropicaltidbits one of the most beloved websites on this forum has been suffering DDoS attacks. Earlier, some model runs weren't loading, everything was fine for a couple of hours, and now the website is not working.

Additionally Metostar weather, home of the GFS control table forecasts is running, but 16 day forecasts haven't loaded for more than 24 hours (since 18z 11/20). http://wxweb.meteostar.com/search/getwe ... ocid=25715

PS: I have noticed that at times this forum seems dead: only less than 10 registered members and about 50-60 guests. We can increase attendance: We have plenty of weather to talk about! :P

Anyone heard from any other websites as to when Tropical Tidbits will be up and running? Honestly, who would want to DDoS a weather website?
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#3 Postby RL3AO » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:18 am

The best way to keep up to date would probably just be to follow Levi himself on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits

Not the first major site to experience a DDoS attack. Allison House which provides weather data for software like Gibson Ridge has suffered multiple attacks, often during severe weather.
0 likes   

TexasBreeze
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#4 Postby TexasBreeze » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:09 pm

The 0z GFS loaded up last night on Meteostar, but was the only run to do so and it hasn't updated since.
The NHC satellites page images were having trouble a couple days ago, but they work now.
0 likes   

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

#5 Postby asd123 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:14 pm

Tropical Tidbits is up and running and Meteostar is loading properly.

Tropical Tidbits has a message in red at the top of their page: http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

I really hope an attack like this doesn't happen again. Tropical Tidbits is an extremely informative website.

Edit: After Tropical Tidbits being briefly up, it is down again. I heard Levi say it's up hopefully for good this time.
Sadly this is not the case. I wish Levi and Tropical Tidbits the best.

Edit: Back up again
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:11 pm

It's not loading for me on my iPhone. I'll have to try it when I get home on my computer, but he mentioned on Twitter that there still could be problems with it for at least some people. I just hope the problem gets resolved soon and Levi's site is back up and running normally for good. Without it kind of feels like being without Internet or a phone since it is such a useful and handy site for us weather geeks.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#7 Postby asd123 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:18 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:It's not loading for me on my iPhone. I'll have to try it when I get home on my computer, but he mentioned on Twitter that there still could be problems with it for at least some people. I just hope the problem gets resolved soon and Levi's site is back up and running normally for good. Without it kind of feels like being without Internet or a phone since it is such a useful and handy site for us weather geeks.

Access to the site has been on and off.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#8 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:19 pm

asd123 wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:It's not loading for me on my iPhone. I'll have to try it when I get home on my computer, but he mentioned on Twitter that there still could be problems with it for at least some people. I just hope the problem gets resolved soon and Levi's site is back up and running normally for good. Without it kind of feels like being without Internet or a phone since it is such a useful and handy site for us weather geeks.

Are the most recent model runs still going to be able to load?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

#9 Postby asd123 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:36 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
asd123 wrote:

Are the most recent model runs still going to be able to load?

It's been spotty. Last time I checked, ECMWF 12z hasn't loaded, yet ECMWF ensemble completely loaded. Other models can't remember specifically, but I think that they partially loaded and or several parameters are missing. On Twitter, Levi said he will be ditching his current server.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:20 pm

Just reading his recent tweet on Twitter, it sounds to me that ditching his current server is the only hope of stopping these DDoS attacks. Hoping it is a quick and easy recovery for Levi and his website.
0 likes   

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

#11 Postby asd123 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:56 pm

New info on Tropical Tidbits; love the analogy. https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits/sta ... 9527000064
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12 Postby cycloneye » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:56 am

From Levi Cowan's Facebook page.

I am investing in a new server. The bright side to this is that I can get a 2014 CPU and brand new hardware, which I will be able to do more with than the 2012 configuration I had before. The new server shall be named "Súlimo," the greatest of the Valar in Tolkien mythology. Súlimo means "Lord of the Winds" in elvish. It may take multiple days for the server to be built and for me to set it up. Once this is all over, the tropicaltidbits.com will be back better than ever.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#13 Postby tolakram » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:48 am

Hmmm, running it himself is just asking for attacks. Hopefully he's going through a reputable host who knows how to handle DOS attacks.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#14 Postby RL3AO » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:11 pm

Gotta remember he is a grad student. I'm sure he was trying to take the least expensive option.
0 likes   

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#15 Postby asd123 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:21 pm

RL3AO wrote:Gotta remember he is a grad student. I'm sure he was trying to take the least expensive option.

How can he afford to provide weather agencies' data that charge money to provide their data, such as the ECMWF which costs an arm and a leg. GFS is free after all.
We all appreciate what great amount of information he contributes to the weather community, and we hope Tropical Tidbits will be better than ever

New update very good news!: https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits/sta ... 3255388160
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#16 Postby RL3AO » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:58 pm

asd123 wrote:
RL3AO wrote:Gotta remember he is a grad student. I'm sure he was trying to take the least expensive option.

How can he afford to provide weather agencies' data that charge money to provide their data, such as the ECMWF which costs an arm and a leg. GFS is free after all.
We all appreciate what great amount of information he contributes to the weather community, and we hope Tropical Tidbits will be better than ever

New update very good news!: https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits/sta ... 3255388160

Most sites you see with ECMWF are using the free data. ECMWF has 850mb and 500mb maps available every 24 hours for free. Everything else costs.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#17 Postby cycloneye » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:08 am

Levi Cowan's site is back as he installed a new server.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#18 Postby MetroMike » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:12 pm

cycloneye wrote:Levi Cowan's site is back as he installed a new server.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

Seems like we need a new server again?
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”