Texas Fall-2015

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Fall-2015

#2441 Postby Portastorm » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:08 pm

:uarrow:

This is timely considering how cold it has been here in Austin since last week. We have not had a surface temperature above 50 since early Friday afternoon. When folks see the projections for El Nino patterns with the below normal temps/above normal precip in this area they often assume it means snow down here. Nope ... this is kinda classic El Nino weather for Austin. The Ninos I've experienced in my 31 1/2 years here are often like this. Cold, dreary, and damp.

Looking forward to seeing ol' Sol on Wednesday.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2442 Postby BigB0882 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:55 pm

Portastorm wrote::uarrow:

This is timely considering how cold it has been here in Austin since last week. We have not had a surface temperature above 50 since early Friday afternoon. When folks see the projections for El Nino patterns with the below normal temps/above normal precip in this area they often assume it means snow down here. Nope ... this is kinda classic El Nino weather for Austin. The Ninos I've experienced in my 31 1/2 years here are often like this. Cold, dreary, and damp.

Exactly. Often it is below normal simply because of all the cloud cover and precip. That keeps temps down. So "cold" and wet is all relative.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re:

#2443 Postby wxman57 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:45 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:Just a reminder, we'll all be migrating over to the Texas Winter 2015-16 thread with the start of meteorological winter on December 1st.

Hey, don't rush winter! I want my last 3 weeks of fall...
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2444 Postby CaptinCrunch » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:19 pm

TEMPERATURES THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS WILL REACH THE 50S EACH DAY
WITH OVERNIGHT LOWS MAINLY IN THE 30S AND LOWER 40S. NEAR
FREEZING TEMPERATURES CAN BE EXPECTED IN OUR NORTHWESTERN COUNTIES
TONIGHT AND TUESDAY NIGHT. A REINFORCING SHOT OF COOL AIR WILL
ARRIVE ON WEDNESDAY AS ANOTHER UPPER LEVEL TROUGH MOVES ACROSS THE
SOUTHERN PLAINS. DAYTIME TEMPERATURES WILL NOT CHANGE MUCH WITH
THIS FRONT BUT OVERNIGHT LOWS WILL BE COOLER WEDNESDAY NIGHT
UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF DRIER AIR...CLEAR SKIES AND LIGHT WINDS.
MUCH OF NORTH AND CENTRAL TEXAS IS EXPECTED TO BE NEAR FREEZING IN
THE LOWER 30S WEDNESDAY NIGHT/THURSDAY MORNING.

It was an awesome Thanksgiving Weekend, temps never getting above 40, rain, rain, ho, and more rain. I had the fireplace going non stop Friday thru sunday. Had no place to be, all shopping done online, no in-laws, and plenty of food to eat.....yes it was a wonderful weekend!!
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#2445 Postby Ntxw » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:51 pm

Portastorm wrote::uarrow:

Yeah, high's don't look like anything torchy around here, near to maybe a degree or two above average. The lows will be what keeps things milder, not many freezes but this is expected with such a strong STJ. Not a lot of radiational cooling.

Now if you were in Canada and adjacent northern US in the 40s and 50s where it could be near 0 and teens that's quite a departure.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#2446 Postby dhweather » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:18 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:Just a reminder, we'll all be migrating over to the Texas Winter 2015-16 thread with the start of meteorological winter on December 1st.

Whew, good, I have time to squeeze in one more

CAT 5 IN THE GULF !!!!! :D
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2447 Postby dhweather » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:25 pm

Amazing they have had 60" of rain at DFW, 35 miles ESE of there, we've had 48" , over a foot more.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Re:

#2448 Postby Ntxw » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:49 pm

dhweather wrote:

I think you should have this somewhere in your avatar or signature :cheesy: after all you did invent it!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#2449 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:02 pm

Ntxw wrote:
dhweather wrote:

I think you should have this somewhere in your avatar or signature :cheesy: after all you did invent it!

:uarrow:
:lol:
True that!
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2450 Postby gboudx » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:52 pm

So long Texas Fall thread. Too bad summer lasted until mid-late October.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#2451 Postby Brent » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:06 pm

gboudx wrote:So long Texas Fall thread. Too bad summer lasted until mid-late October.

Indeed. :lol:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#2452 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:23 pm

FYI, the recent rain has caused lake levels to surge again.

Lavon is 9.5 feet above normal, Ray Roberts is 5.2 feet high and Texoma is 3.46 feet high.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#2453 Postby Ntxw » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:11 am

As forwarded by Texas Snowman, all posts of weather in Texas has shifted to the Texas Winter thread. Unless you want to do reanalysis posts on Sept-Nov it can be posted here.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#2454 Postby 1900hurricane » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:00 pm

Maybe I'm just being unobservant, but I'm having a hard time finding the new winter thread.

*EDIT: it's in the winter forum. Derp.
Last edited by 1900hurricane on Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2455 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:01 pm

1900hurricane wrote:Maybe I'm just being unobservant, but I'm having a hard time finding the new winter thread.

It's in the Winter Weather Forum!
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#2456 Postby 1900hurricane » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:02 pm

Thanks!
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

EF-5bigj
Category 3
Category 3

#2457 Postby EF-5bigj » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:26 pm

Texas seems to be having a lot of strong fall tornadoes.
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#2458 Postby 1900hurricane » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:55 am

Texas has generally been between an eastern ridge and a western trough this fall and early winter, keeping an active storm track over the area. Not every system has been capable of producing tornadoes, but we've been having enough systems to where tornadoes have been somewhat common.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”