Texas Summer-2015

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#541 Postby dhweather » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:13 am

weatherdude1108 wrote:This really is depressing. What gives??

Bob Rose:

http://www.lcra.org/water/river-and-wea ... ather.aspx

The beatings will continue until morale improves. :lol:

Crazy year so far, we went from beneficial amounts of rainfall to profound drought pretty quickly. Hard to believe that we did not enter the top 10 records from most consecutive days without precipitation in 2011, yet recorded 40 consecutive 100 degree days.

July-August-September of this year is rivaling 2011, just not in the number of days of triple digit temps. More humid this year versus 2011, but once you add in the heat index and lack of rain, there's not much difference between the two.

I cannot imagine how horrible things would be right now had we not received all the rain we did in March-April-May , most lakes would likely be at all time lows.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#542 Postby Ntxw » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:34 am

:uarrow: You are kidding right? 2011 was the hottest summer on record, this year does not even crack the top 10 or 15. This year isn't even as hot as 2012 or 2010. It is not even close or on the same planet, you are talking 2-5F average difference for a 90 day period.

August 2011 was over 90F for an average, we can get some 115F days and it still would not catch it
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#543 Postby weatherdude1108 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:38 pm

:uarrow:
Yeah, dhweather is right. We need to improve morale around here.

Molds and mosquito populations are way down!! :D
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#544 Postby weatherdude1108 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:47 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:

Bob Rose:

We just need to be patient for a few more weeks until the subtropical jet associated with El Nino starts up. I'm thinking by late September or October we should start seeing regular rainfall events across the state.

Thanks South Texas Storms. I was wondering when the subtropical jet usually starts. I know I'm being impatient. Just tired/bummed out of watering plants and watching the water literally drain into the abyss of the soil cracks.

I saw a story yesterday about flash droughts popping up across east Texas, but west Texas is still drought free. We're not in either east or west Texas, but I can testify that flash drought seems to encompass this part of (Central/South) Texas also.

http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/201 ... cQlQ.email

I keep the watering down to once a week per city rules (with allowed supplemental hand-watering as needed). Doesn't make much of a difference in 100-degree heat, but it's a little something while we wait for the beneficial rains.
:wink:
0 likes   

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#545 Postby dhweather » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:04 pm

Ntxw wrote::uarrow: You are kidding right? 2011 was the hottest summer on record, this year does not even crack the top 10 or 15. This year isn't even as hot as 2012 or 2010. It is not even close or on the same planet, you are talking 2-5F average difference for a 90 day period.

August 2011 was over 90F for an average, we can get some 115F days and it still would not catch it

Carefully read what I said ... add in the heat index and the lack of rain ...

In the last 31 days, I've recorded heat indexes at home:

100+ 29 times
110+ 13 times

2015 - top 3 all time driest stretch, 2011 did not crack the top 10

In actual temperature, 2011 reigns supreme, I'm not challenging that at all. What I am saying, comfort wise, drought wise, it has been pretty miserable in July & August. In 2011 I had 2" wide cracks in my yard, I have them today.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#546 Postby dhweather » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:10 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote::uarrow:
Yeah, dhweather is right. We need to improve morale around here.

Molds and mosquito populations are way down!! :D

Amen to that, the mosquitoes were brutal in May & June, and have significantly dropped off in numbers since.
0 likes   

WeatherNewbie
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#547 Postby WeatherNewbie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:24 pm

this is not even remotely close to 2011...
0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#548 Postby Tireman4 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:30 pm

WeatherNewbie wrote:this is not even remotely close to 2011...

I agree. Not even close. I have grass. During 2011, I did not...
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#549 Postby Ntxw » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:57 pm

2011 drought wise was a million times worse than this summer across the state. The drought maps then clearly show it. 2011 was hot and dry starting into the winter through summer. Believe it or not the humidity (high dews) this year is considered cold air advection in the summer from the gulf, without it we would've been hotter. It feels worse to us yes but it is what kept it from running away.

It has been dry for a long stretch no doubt, top 5 for summertime. But summer is your typical dry season, a wet fall can eliminate it very easily if it comes to fruition. As we saw lakes react strongest in the two wet seasons; spring and fall. Rains then are most important.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#550 Postby Ntxw » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:29 pm

Speaking of warm, Euro brings in pac nw trof which means its going to stay warm through next week...fall cant come fast enough
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#551 Postby TheProfessor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:31 pm

Today was a toasty 76 degrees with sun! 8-) , much better than the 63 degrees we had the past 3 days :cold:
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#552 Postby dhweather » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:31 pm

No kidding ntxw - one primary difference in the two years is mostly SW winds in 2011, SE winds in 2015. One passes over the deserts of Mexico, the other over the Gulf.
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#553 Postby Tireman4 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:41 pm

TheProfessor wrote:Today was a toasty 76 degrees with sun! 8-) , much better than the 63 degrees we had the past 3 days :cold:

Notice how he throws these nuggets in.......oh you are a hoot sir....
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#554 Postby Tireman4 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:44 pm

I am going with climo. It has to end soon. Ntwx knows this..the grizzled veteran he is...I am thinking September 25...
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#555 Postby weatherdude1108 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:07 pm

Interesting how the QPF changes from one model run to the next. Silly donut hole again over 2/3 of the state. But we shouldn't put so much faith in the models. Shame on us! :cheesy:

0Z GFS
6Z GFS
Image\
12Z GFS
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#556 Postby Ntxw » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:10 pm

By winter heat miser might get a recruit in TheProfessor tireman...voodoo..gotta watch him.

We do need lots of rain then next 6-10 months. Big El Nino's, especially super nino's, flip to La Nina's the next year. Its the ocean's way of keeping balance. If that does happen we will need to conserve water and plan well ahead now.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#557 Postby South Texas Storms » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:57 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
South Texas Storms wrote:

Bob Rose:

We just need to be patient for a few more weeks until the subtropical jet associated with El Nino starts up. I'm thinking by late September or October we should start seeing regular rainfall events across the state.

Thanks South Texas Storms. I was wondering when the subtropical jet usually starts. I know I'm being impatient. Just tired/bummed out of watering plants and watching the water literally drain into the abyss of the soil cracks.

I saw a story yesterday about flash droughts popping up across east Texas, but west Texas is still drought free. We're not in either east or west Texas, but I can testify that flash drought seems to encompass this part of (Central/South) Texas also.

http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/201 ... cQlQ.email

I keep the watering down to once a week per city rules (with allowed supplemental hand-watering as needed). Doesn't make much of a difference in 100-degree heat, but it's a little something while we wait for the beneficial rains.
:wink:

Oh I agree weatherdude. The rain can't come soon enough. But there is still pretty high confidence that we will see above average rainfall starting this fall and continuing through next spring.
0 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#558 Postby TheProfessor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:22 pm

Ntxw wrote:By winter heat miser might get a recruit in TheProfessor tireman...voodoo..gotta watch him.

We do need lots of rain then next 6-10 months. Big El Nino's, especially super nino's, flip to La Nina's the next year. Its the ocean's way of keeping balance. If that does happen we will need to conserve water and plan well ahead now.

No you don't have to worry about heat miser recruiting me in the winter time, I just don't want highs in the 60s in August and apparently people up here don't like it either. Come Winter time I'm all for -15 degrees and 24 inches of snow.
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#559 Postby Tireman4 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:05 pm

TheProfessor wrote:
Ntxw wrote:By winter heat miser might get a recruit in TheProfessor tireman...voodoo..gotta watch him.

No you don't have to worry about heat miser recruiting me in the winter time, I just don't want highs in the 60s in August and apparently people up here don't like it either. Come Winter time I'm all for -15 degrees and 24 inches of snow.

You say that now Young Jedi...lol....Wxman 57 has his ways...ask Porta..
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Summer-2015

#560 Postby Ntxw » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:38 pm

For fun I pulled up some records for Columbus, Ohio

Coldest temperature ever recorded: -22 January 19, 1994
Hottest temperature ever recorded: 106 July 14, 1936

Top 10 snowiest seasons

1. 67.8" 1909-1910
2. 62.4" 1880-1881
3. 54.1" 1977-1978/1995-1996
4. 50.6" 2002-2003
5. 48.5" 2009-2010
6. 46.6" 1966-1967
7. 45.8" 2013-2014
9. 45.3" 2007-2008
10. 44.2" 1969-1970

Largest single storm snowfall record: 20.4" March 8, 2008
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”