Texas Spring 2017

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Spring 2017

#21 Postby Ralph's Weather » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:02 am

Sunday got down to 33 here and it is going to be around there this morning. Can we sneak in a freeze?
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:52 am

30 this morning with a decently heavy frost. Not bad for a spring morning!
1 likes   
#neversummer

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#23 Postby TheProfessor » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:39 am

Brent wrote:My parents and little brother will be in town March 29-April 1(first ever trip to Texas). You can guarantee there will be some sort of severe weather then. :lol:

I'm also expecting a Severe outbreak somewhere in the U.S on the 24th. OSU will be hosting our Severe weather Symposium and one of out guest speakers will be Dr. Greg Forbes and it would make perfect sense in my world if there was an outbreak when he nor any of us could track it lol.
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#24 Postby Texas Snowman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:58 am

Yukon Cornelius wrote:30 this morning with a decently heavy frost. Not bad for a spring morning!

33 here this morning
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby CaptinCrunch » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:12 pm

36 at the Casa this morning, frosty rooftops and windshields, YEA Winter is returning.... :roll:
0 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby JDawg512 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:36 pm

Next week is looking unsettled, athough low confidence. Hopefully we can get some decent rainfall.
1 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby bubba hotep » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:08 am

Hopefully, we can pull some wet weather in March because the Euro weeklies from today look a lot like March following strong west based QBO January:

And by the way, the corresponding precipitation anomaly map isn't very pretty either.
0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby Brent » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:12 am

GFS looks pretty boring through day 12 or so... other than a little rain the next few days pretty bland. The mid week storm mostly gets going southeast of DFW(maybe South Texas and the coast might do well). At least there's no sign of record heat

Has hints of a big rain event out towards 300 hours but we'll see how that goes.
0 likes   
#neversummer

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby srainhoutx » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:19 am

After a couple of days of cooler and drier weather, changes are brewing in the Weekend/Early Week timeframe. A warm front and a Coastal Low/trough is expected to develop long the Lower and Middle Texas Coast bringing a chance for heavy rainfall with the possiblility of Flash Flooding, High Winds mainly offshore and potentially some Coastal Flooding as a surface low organizes Saturday night near the Lower Texas Coast and moves generally ENE on Sunday.
1 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:40 am

Almost pulled off another freeze this morning. It made it down to 33 with a light frost up here. By looking at the long range forecast, yesterdays freeze appears to possibly be the last one we'll see until next fall/winter.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#31 Postby Ralph's Weather » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:13 am

Another frosty morning with a low of 34.
1 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#32 Postby Ntxw » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:43 am

Pattern in the tropics resemble la nina. I think closer to the coast your odds of rain are better, further away is more likely to underperform at least through 2 weeks. It's not that the systems are lacking, the tropical connection to the Pacific isn't there.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby bubba hotep » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:25 pm

Ntxw wrote:Pattern in the tropics resemble la nina. I think closer to the coast your odds of rain are better, further away is more likely to underperform at least through 2 weeks. It's not that the systems are lacking, the tropical connection to the Pacific isn't there.

It is starting to look like that may be a temporary push back by the atmosphere. More and more signs the that base state will start to shift towards +ENSO over the next couple of weeks in response to changing SSTs. My biggest fear is that the lag drags on longer than expected and it robs Texas of part of the wet spring window.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#34 Postby Ntxw » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:59 pm

I don't see yet any sig westerly wind bursts in the tropical Pacific for a more sustained Nino pattern, if there is one more likely to be CCKW or MJO progression. Earliest sign I see of WWBs for a true coupling to a stable Nino pattern is early April and will then take time to reflect.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby JDawg512 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:30 pm

I'm not as much worried about March as I am for May when it comes to spring rains. We don't need to have repeats of the last 2 years but having at least average to a bit above average for both May and June would be ideal. Time will tell how mid to late Spring plays out.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#36 Postby Ntxw » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:36 pm

JDawg512 wrote:I'm not as much worried about March as I am for May when it comes to spring rains. We don't need to have repeats of the last 2 years but having at least average to a bit above average for both May and June would be ideal. Time will tell how mid to late Spring plays out.

A couple of things to point out looking forward. We are coming out of a weak La Nina with a +PDO. 2014 and 2015 was coming out of an already weak El Nino into a Super El Nino so the wet pattern started winter of 2014 and intensified into 2015. I don't think we should be looking to this kind of scenario as it was a perfect series of events to bring multiple widespread rains seemingly every week. DFW had flood watches basically much of that spring. Last year was coming out of a Super El NIno thus the already wet winter pattern lingered into spring but then as the year went on, got less and less wet towards the fall as the event faded.

This year I don't expect a very wet Spring. I do think severe weather will be increase but it is hit or miss and more isolated vs the widespread rains we have been accustomed to the past couple of springs. We'll likely end up near normal or slightly below normal. Saving grace from an all out drought like in 2011 and 2012 is that the PDO is firmly within a positive regime. Should a Nino kick in, the earliest that the indicators can bring forth one given we are now in March is May perhaps early summer. Then effects likely won't play an important role until fall or winter.
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#37 Postby bubba hotep » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:33 pm

Let the westward trend begin! lol

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/837744157473005569

0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#38 Postby Ntxw » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:49 pm

bubba hotep wrote:Let the westward trend begin! lol

Last stand of the Nina?

0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#39 Postby Ntxw » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:24 pm

Anomalous early spring -EPO?

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/837779041113485314

On a side note, I am making this comment because it is relevant to our hobby here on this forum. The proposed budget cuts (17%) to NOAA especially hitting the satellite and research is going to hurt. Satellites have vastly improved guidance to real time initialization and is vital to forecasting. This is not a good thing...I do not want to politicize this topic, data is just so important to forecasting and readily available information. The GFS and suites is far enough behind (at least a decade) to the Euro bunch, it needs more power, better initialization, and better algorithms all requiring the help of such tools.
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#40 Postby Brent » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:11 am

The 0z GFS actually has a freeze at DFW at 360 hours(March 19th)....

now wouldn't that be something? :lol:

Warmest highs are in the low 80s next weekend and beyond that it's much cooler, no sign of any record heat or even temperatures experienced during the winter heat waves.

Not Texas... but the Euro has a huge blizzard from the DC suburbs up the coast next weekend with 30" around New York City. :roflmao:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”