Texas Spring 2017

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Spring 2017

#121 Postby bubba hotep » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:24 pm

Ntxw wrote:I don't know about snow, but perhaps a good system to round out the month?

http://i67.tinypic.com/296nfoi.png

I'm calling it now, that is a sign of things to come, April will be temp / precip avg... Below/Above!
0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#122 Postby bubba hotep » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:32 pm

JDawg512 wrote:Well nothing came of that... :roll:

Not sure we'll see much happen in Austin just going by conditions outside. Maybe someone will get lucky but it looks like the atmosphere is fairly stable over the city.

Hope everyone has a good day.

I'm still holding out hope for some decent rain here in N. Texas. The NAMs and the now the 18z GFS have really cut back on totals this weekend across DFW. I'm not holding out much hope at this point.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#123 Postby Ntxw » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:37 pm

bubba hotep wrote:
JDawg512 wrote:Well nothing came of that... :roll:

Not sure we'll see much happen in Austin just going by conditions outside. Maybe someone will get lucky but it looks like the atmosphere is fairly stable over the city.

Hope everyone has a good day.

I'm still holding out hope for some decent rain here in N. Texas. The NAMs and the now the 18z GFS have really cut back on totals this weekend across DFW. I'm not holding out much hope at this point.

They have cut back, partially due to a gulf low developing so away from the coast gets less. Without mid to upper flow from Pacific, rains tends to under-perform inland.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#124 Postby Ntxw » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:40 pm

Brent wrote:
Ntxw wrote:I don't know about snow, but perhaps a good system to round out the month?

March gonna be colder than February at this rate... :roflmao: 34 at DFW at the end of the run. Maybe it won't be hot when my parents visit at the end of the month. :lol:

February was so warm, even a very warm March is seems cooler :lol:. +7.1F at DFW right now, but will be cut back some this week. Still well above normal overall for the month.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#125 Postby bubba hotep » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Some impressive totals starting to pile up down there near I45
Last edited by bubba hotep on Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

ludosc
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#126 Postby ludosc » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:45 pm

bubba hotep wrote:Some impressive totals starting to pile up down there near I45

gf is a paramedic down there and is working tonight. She said it's been pouring non-stop for awhile now and they've run several accidents on 45.
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#127 Postby srainhoutx » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:04 am

The combination of a Coastal trough, a couple of embedded disturbances in the mid levels around 16K FT tracking ENE in a noisy sub tropical jet and a backdoor frontal boundary all combine to make for a wet Saturday into early Sunday with the possibility of a couple of stronger storms mainly along and S of HWY 105 toward the Coast and offshore waters. The Weather Prediction Center has outlined a Marginal Risk of Excessive Rainfall for today through tomorrow morning mainly along and S of I-10 from Matagorda Bay toward Metro Houston and Beaumont.
1 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#128 Postby JDawg512 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:19 pm

Got my rain machine working overnight to make way for a beautiful Saturday here in the capital city. Getting some decent amounts too without it being excessive.
1 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#129 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:33 pm

Been a constant light to occasionally moderate rain all day. Gotten an inch as of 10:30pm. Perfect for the compost and mulch! High of 68 at house.
:rain: :D
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#130 Postby Ntxw » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:46 pm

Blizzard watches from NYC to Boston. Suspect Philadelphia might get there too..DC should get some good snows too. Heck of a storm up that way.

Gorgeous calm weather here through midweek then some light chances for showers kicks in. Nothing major on the horizon through the end of next week for Texas. Good time to do yardwork and feed the lawn. Lots of trees are beginning to leaf with the bright green.

With that 2016-2017 should go down as warmest, earliest last freeze, and fewest freezes winter given none is forecasted for DFW. Also in terms of precip January had a very wet start to the year. The past 30-40 days have backed off a bit at the airport. Feb was near to slightly below normal rainfall and March so far is a little under 1" below normal through the first 10 days.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#131 Postby Portastorm » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:04 am

Well that was a nice, little, over-achieving system ... local NWS folks that we'd see about a half inch of rain this weekend and we ended up closer to an inch. The PWC recorded 0.89" over the weekend. Not bad, not bad at all.

Keep that Rain Machine working, JDawg! :wink:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#132 Postby bubba hotep » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:29 am

Things look pretty lame for the next week or so. The models do seem to agree on a significant system in the longer range but we know how that has been working out lol

0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#133 Postby Ntxw » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:26 pm

This storm in the northeast is going to be something to watch. Big thunderstorms pulled in from the Atlantic into the cold sector, PHI to Boston is going to get blasted. NYC will be in the thick of it, kind of reminds me of the heavy convective thundersnow in Connecticut Feb 2013 with 4-5" per hour. When all said and done only March 1888 might still be ontop for them in terms of March snowstorms. Freezing down to Northern Peninsular Florida.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#134 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:49 pm

Made it to 49. I mowed the dormant coastal field today, late morning when it was 41 and actually had to wear a A coat and gloves. Cooler weather definitely makes outside work enjoyable.
0 likes   
#neversummer

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#135 Postby bubba hotep » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:31 pm

Not too much but maybe 0.25-0.30" for some areas east of I35 tonight?

0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#136 Postby Brent » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:14 pm

I wasn't aware it was supposed to rain tonight... :lol:

and I'm going to NYC in June but man what I'd give to be up there for this blizzard. I know it wouldn't be good for all the touristy stuff :lol: ... but I do want to experience a storm like that once.
0 likes   
#neversummer

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#137 Postby bubba hotep » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:20 pm

Brent wrote:I wasn't aware it was supposed to rain tonight... :lol:

and I'm going to NYC in June but man what I'd give to be up there for this blizzard. I know it wouldn't be good for all the touristy stuff :lol: ... but I do want to experience a storm like that once.

I've been in CO for big snow storms and on the EC for big Nor'easters. I'm pretty sure nothing compares to a big Nor'easter.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#138 Postby Brent » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:26 pm

bubba hotep wrote:
Brent wrote:I wasn't aware it was supposed to rain tonight... :lol:

I've been in CO for big snow storms and on the EC for big Nor'easters. I'm pretty sure nothing compares to a big Nor'easter.

I was 4 years old and barely remember the Blizzard of 1993 in Alabama... that's the only thing on the same level I've experienced... I'll be 30 next year... :roll:
0 likes   
#neversummer

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#139 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:27 am

I was around for the New England blizzard of 78 when I was around 4 years old. Only things I remember are snow drifts against my house and my mom worried about my dad stranded at an airport. Either New York or Boston. Lived in Nashua New Hampshire at the time. I was too young to remember much else, but have heard stories about that one.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#140 Postby Brent » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:37 am

and the 0z Euro has NYC going to rain for a time with the heaviest amounts inland... :lol:

Apparently the UKMET and GFS ensembles also went west

Wouldn't surprise me actually... NYC is much more suspectible to mixing due to the water.

in Texas weather... it looks like enjoy the cold now because the GFS is pretty much a nonstop torch starting this weekend through 384 hours. Not a single frame was below normal. Near 90 degrees at 240 hours. :roll:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”