Texas Spring 2017

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Spring 2017

#61 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:22 pm

Holy moly is it humid. Sure hope it leads to some decent rainfall tonight or tomorrow.
0 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#62 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:24 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
JDawg512 wrote:1.60" fell in at my place which actually surprised me because I didn't think it was going to be that much. I have 2 gauges in different areas of the yard simply for my verification. Quite pleased....

I got just about exactly 1.00" over 24 hours or so. Nice soaking rain. It still managed to puddle in a couple spots out in the usual low areas of backyard for some reason, despite the dry spells we have had. Must still be pretty wet underneath the soil surface in my area. Fell at a perfect rate to infiltrate.

Deep down the soil is still fairly moist. The great thing about the rain was that it was light to moderate falling for a solid 15-16 hours with some on and off rain into early Sunday morning so runoff was minimal. Those types of rains are much more beneficial than heavy rain in a short amount of time. I'd take a full day of steady rain anytime over a quick heavy downpour.
2 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#63 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Just an observation but it's pretty sobering when we are seeing tornado watches all the way to Minneapolis/St. Paul during the first week of March. The storm system responsible is so far north that we may not see much other than a few showers. East and southeast Texas has a better shot at thunderstorms.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#64 Postby TheProfessor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:51 pm

I'm kind of annoyed right now. If the GFS Parallel is right Columbus will see 18 inches of snow on Sunday. Unfortunately I'll be in Texas and I will miss it. I am very excited to go back home, I'll probably be going down to Corpus to visit family and I will likely be stopping by SxSW, but man it would hurt to miss a big storm, even if it's just 10 inches of snow. :x
1 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#65 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:40 pm

TheProfessor wrote:I'm kind of annoyed right now. If the GFS Parallel is right Columbus will see 18 inches of snow on Sunday. Unfortunately I'll be in Texas and I will miss it. I am very excited to go back home, I'll probably be going down to Corpus to visit family and I will likely be stopping by SxSW, but man it would hurt to miss a big storm, even if it's just 10 inches of snow. :x

You planning on going to any specific shows for SXSW or just gonna check it out for the experience? There's several events I'm gonna be attending.

If all the dynamics were in place, one would think that this area would be in line for severe weather. It's really windy and very sticky. Feels like how it gets before strong to severe storms. Lots of moisture being sucked up in the central/north central plains.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#66 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:47 pm

HRRR is showing the line building down into south central Texas so maybe we could see a quick storm pass through. Here's to hoping :cheesy:
1 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#67 Postby TheProfessor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:52 pm

JDawg512 wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:I'm kind of annoyed right now. If the GFS Parallel is right Columbus will see 18 inches of snow on Sunday. Unfortunately I'll be in Texas and I will miss it. I am very excited to go back home, I'll probably be going down to Corpus to visit family and I will likely be stopping by SxSW, but man it would hurt to miss a big storm, even if it's just 10 inches of snow. :x

You planning on going to any specific shows for SXSW or just gonna check it out for the experience? There's several events I'm gonna be attending.

If all the dynamics were in place, one would think that this area would be in line for severe weather. It's really windy and very sticky. Feels like how it gets before strong to severe storms. Lots of moisture being sucked up in the central/north central plains.

I won't be going to any of the big shows. Just some small free ones around Austin. I might be checking out the gaming convention though.
1 likes   

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#68 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:40 pm

Some really cold air resides in Canada aimed for the east coast. They might get some very good spring snow, or even a KU event if it bombs and lines up right. Near record March cold in the Canadian Arctic...for us in Texas at least through 300 hours looks near to above normal mild.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#69 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:50 pm

Here is a composite of monthly anomalies in order that I've put together since January of 2015 at DFW airport. Blue being a below normal month, red being above normal all in fahrenheit.

+0.3
+0.8
+1.8
+1.7
+4.7
+3.7
+2.1
+6.5

+1.1
+5.3
+3.6
+2.6

+2.6
+2.1
+0.2
+3.4
+6.6
+6.9
+2.6

+5.3
+10.7
+3.0
so far in March

The big one of them all in terms of extreme was last month. A double digit anomaly warm or cold is no easy feat.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#70 Postby Brent » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:55 pm

:uarrow:

Bring back winter 2014-2015 lol. Amazing how warm it's been since.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#71 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:02 pm

Brent wrote::uarrow:

All things considered the stretch from Nov to May of 2014-2015 was a pretty good stretch, quite good actually. Nuri blast with November snow, Feb and March snow making it snowiest winter since 2009-2010, 40+ freezes, and then one of the wettest springs ever to match the wettest year ever. Then it all went downhill since.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#72 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:13 pm

TheProfessor wrote:
JDawg512 wrote:

I won't be going to any of the big shows. Just some small free ones around Austin. I might be checking out the gaming convention though.

That's cool, the game expo is a lot of fun.

I'm checking the HRRR each hour to see how it's been changing. Doesn't look as good for a solid line like it showed eatlier. I guess we'll be lucky if we get any rain out of it.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#73 Postby Brent » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Brent wrote::uarrow:

All things considered the stretch from Nov to May of 2014-2015 was a pretty good stretch, quite good actually. Nuri blast with November snow, Feb and March snow making it snowiest winter since 2009-2010, 40+ freezes, and then one of the wettest springs ever to match the wettest year ever. Then it all went downhill since.

Yes... my first stretch in Texas was pretty good and then well...

It has to flip back at some point.
0 likes   
#neversummer

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#74 Postby TheProfessor » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:41 am

The models have been trending south with this storm for the past couple of days, it hasn't stopped yet. The Canadian is exactly what I want see(And what I'd be fearing if I were going to be in Ohio.) The storm digs far enough south for Thunderstorms in Texas.
0 likes   

txprog
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#75 Postby txprog » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:36 am

Ntxw wrote:Here is a composite of monthly anomalies in order that I've put together since January of 2015 at DFW airport. Blue being a below normal month, red being above normal all in fahrenheit.

+0.3
+0.8
+1.8
+1.7
+4.7
+3.7
+2.1
+6.5

+1.1
+5.3
+3.6
+2.6

+2.6
+2.1
+0.2
+3.4
+6.6
+6.9
+2.6

+5.3
+10.7
+3.0
so far in March

The big one of them all in terms of extreme was last month. A double digit anomaly warm or cold is no easy feat.

January 2006 - +10.9 at DFW

We will likely best the earliest last freeze record by 4 weeks. This is extraordinary. I'm trying to come up with an equivalent, but haven't yet. Any ideas?
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#76 Postby Brent » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:22 am

txprog wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Here is a composite of monthly anomalies in order that I've put together since January of 2015 at DFW airport. Blue being a below normal month, red being above normal all in fahrenheit.

We will likely best the earliest last freeze record by 4 weeks. This is extraordinary. I'm trying to come up with an equivalent, but haven't yet. Any ideas?

2006... 100 in mid-April... :x

Is anyone else dreading DST? I hate the late sunsets. It just takes that much longer to cool off. :roll:
0 likes   
#neversummer

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#77 Postby TheProfessor » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:42 am

Another busy severe weather day yesterday, Spring's really gotten off to a fast start. Could be another big day on Saturday depending on what the storm does.
0 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#78 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:45 am

After our freeze in the 20s last week and heavy frost, the grass is starting to really come back and out of dormancy. However, the mesquite trees still aren't showing any signs of even trying to start putting on leaves and so far, no bluebonnets around here yet. Makes me wonder if we don't have one last surprise in store up here along the river before its all said and done. Like they say, you cant call it until the mesquites starting putting on leaves.
Last edited by Yukon Cornelius on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#79 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:50 am

Brent wrote:
txprog wrote:

2006... 100 in mid-April... :x

Is anyone else dreading DST? I hate the late sunsets. It just takes that much longer to cool off. :roll:

Same here. I wish they would finally do away with it. Numerous bills are thrown out every year to finally end it.
0 likes   
#neversummer

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#80 Postby JDawg512 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:03 am

I tend to like daylight savings because I'm able to get more yard work done in the late evenings. Something that I can't do during this time of the year and would be harder to get as much done after work if there's less light. Granted, it sucks having deal with shifting your routine due to losing an hour. I'd rather have DST go back to the way it was years ago when it wasn't until the first week of April that it began and Fall Back was before Halloween, at least then it was almost half a year.

Well sure enough, what showers that did form along the front developed just east of Austin. Other than on and off slight rain chances, there's nothing significant going into next week besides temps heading back above normal just in time for SXSW :crying: . I'd prefer 60s and low 70s when walking around DT. Don't care if it rains but if it doesn't then would rather have low humidity.
1 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”