Texas Summer 2017

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Summer 2017

#321 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:27 pm

srainhoutx wrote:
Portastorm wrote:
South Texas Storms wrote:Wish you guys in north Texas could share more rain with us in south and central Texas.

The complex fizzled out as it neared SA and Austin :cry:

Yep. I'm already pissed off by this non event. :-(

Hang in there, Amigo. Looks like a weak surface trough attempts to organize sometime Monday near Brownsville. There are at least 2 upper level vorts that look to cross Texas through Tuesday before we begin to shift the daytime isolated summertime pop up seabreeze storms to the Coastal tier of Counties on Wednesday and beyond.

It looked threatening here around 8am. Got really dark and windy as front moved in. It started raining some. Not enough to measure anything. Then got stable the rest of the day, dry as a bone. :grr: Thankful I had already set the sprinklers to run this morning. I did that based on my own NON Event history. :(
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#322 Postby gboudx » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:11 am

Brent wrote:It feels amazing out and there's even a cool breeze!!!

Our downstairs A/C went out late Friday night. If there was ever a day to have to wait for service it was Saturday. Never got uncomfortable even having to wait until the afternoon when the rain ended. We got about 2.5" Friday night into Saturday.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#323 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:24 pm

As Ntxw mentioned yesterday...

@NWSFortWorth -- DFW's 3.84" currently breaks the record for the date (prev 1.76" 1917) AND sets highest daily total ever in June (3.31" 6/15/1935). #dfwwx

@NWSFortWorth -- To put DFW's rainfall today in perspective, the 3.84" supercedes the normal June average rainfall total of 3.79". #dfwwx
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#324 Postby JDawg512 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:37 pm

It's not looking good for widespread decent rain. Some of us will get lucky, many of us will not see much of anything. The window of opportunity is closing by late week and it's back to the grind.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#325 Postby Portastorm » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:55 pm

JDawg512 wrote:It's not looking good for widespread decent rain. Some of us will get lucky, many of us will not see much of anything. The window of opportunity is closing by late week and it's back to the grind.

Yep. This was another day where the models and NWS over-forecasted POPs. Roughly 20-30% of Travis County saw some showers today but the bulk of us did not. Williamson County appeared to have a good soaking though. But they got the rain, and we got the shaft. Again. :wink:

I'm afraid this may be a brutal summer for us.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#326 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:12 pm

:uarrow: Perhaps.

But look at it this way. Even if that were to be the case, after this upcoming week, we're already 1/3 of the way through meteorological summer! :D
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#327 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:52 pm

Portastorm wrote:
JDawg512 wrote:It's not looking good for widespread decent rain. Some of us will get lucky, many of us will not see much of anything. The window of opportunity is closing by late week and it's back to the grind.

Yep. This was another day where the models and NWS over-forecasted POPs. Roughly 20-30% of Travis County saw some showers today but the bulk of us did not. Williamson County appeared to have a good soaking though. But they got the rain, and we got the shaft. Again. :wink:

We got about a quarter inch this afternoon. EWX said there was an ENE flow, keeping pops at bay. I'm disappointed.
:x
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#328 Postby South Texas Storms » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:25 pm

Portastorm wrote:

Yeah we have 2 more decent chances for rain tomorrow and Tuesday. If we don't get any by Wednesday, we're in trouble. Looks like we go back into the completely dry pattern by late week. Come on rain!
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#329 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:00 pm

Still hopeful Dora will sling some moisture up this way. She should be a hurricane by tomorrow, no re-curve but again maybe sneaky mid or upper moisture?

1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#330 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Ntxw wrote:Still hopeful Dora will sling some moisture up this way. She should be a hurricane by tomorrow, no re-curve but again maybe sneaky mid or upper moisture?

That's a beautiful satellite picture! So clear! I hope it sling shots some moisture this way!
1 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#331 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:41 pm

Holding out some hope.

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Austin/San Antonio TX
1008 PM CDT Sun Jun 25 2017

.UPDATE...
Showers and thunderstorms have generally dissipated across the area
aside from some light stratiform rain over portions of Lee and
Fayette Counties that should dissipate over the next hour. Hi-res
models are generally in good agreement that additional convection
will not develop until possibly very late in the overnight hours
just before sunrise as some streamer showers and possibly a rogue
thunderstorm develops. Thus, we have removed rain chances over the
Rio Grande Plains for most of tonight and decreased to 20-30 POPs
elsewhere, only mentioning very isolated thunderstorms in the Coastal
Plains prior to 4 am. We have included 40 POPS for scattered shower
activity across most of the CWA from 4-10 am just in case remnant
outflow boundaries with nearly moist adiabatic lapse rates allow for
some early development, but only very isolated thunderstorms are
expected due to stability near the melting level.

Scattered showers and thunderstorms are expected across most of the
region by late tomorrow morning into the afternoon hours, with the
best chances for storm initiation in the Coastal Plains along outflow
boundaries and a possible sea breeze. Convection should also develop
over the Edwards Plateau and western Hill Country counties along an
outflow boundary expected to be near or northwest of our northwest-
most counties associated with a complex of storms expected to move
southeast tonight from the Texas panhandle. Depending on how far
southeast this activity makes it tonight, rain chances may need to be
increased later tomorrow afternoon and evening over much of the CWA
as additional shortwave forcing may help expand the coverage of
showers and thunderstorms along this particular outflow boundary.

1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#332 Postby Brent » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:35 am

I hope Dora sends something because I just about dozed off looking at the GFS meteogram lol

Euro does have a little rain on Saturday.
Last edited by Brent on Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
#neversummer

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#333 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:28 am

Finally some rain just before 1:30 a.m. nothing major but it's a nice steady rain. I have my bedroom window open listening to it. Love the sound of rain falling.
2 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#334 Postby Portastorm » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:22 am

JDawg512 wrote:Finally some rain just before 1:30 a.m. nothing major but it's a nice steady rain. I have my bedroom window open listening to it. Love the sound of rain falling.

What a pleasant surprise! Those overnight showers dropped like a 1/2" on the PWC. Those kinda came out of nowhere.
1 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#335 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:06 am

Portastorm wrote:
JDawg512 wrote:Finally some rain just before 1:30 a.m. nothing major but it's a nice steady rain. I have my bedroom window open listening to it. Love the sound of rain falling.

What a pleasant surprise! Those overnight showers dropped like a 1/2" on the PWC. Those kinda came out of nowhere.

Lucky! Hopefully much of south central Texas can get more widespread activity later today. Some models are showing that the MCV from the dying MCS across west Texas will move into our area this afternoon possibly helping additional showers and storms to develop.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#336 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:23 am

South Texas Storms wrote:
Portastorm wrote:

Lucky! Hopefully much of south central Texas can get more widespread activity later today. Some models are showing that the MCV from the dying MCS across west Texas will move into our area this afternoon possibly helping additional showers and storms to develop.

We weren't as lucky in the Cedar Park area. It sprinkled a little early this morning, but cool about you all in Travis County! That's more than the 0.24 I got yesterday. Here is hoping for more beneficial showers before the faucet shuts off! Any hope of moisture from Dora? Doesn't seem promising from the NHC forecast.

WTPZ44 KNHC 260844
TCDEP4

Hurricane Dora Discussion Number 6
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL EP042017
400 AM CDT Mon Jun 26 2017

Dora has continued to intensify overnight with a well-defined eye on
microwave data and occasional hints of an eye on conventional
satellite imagery. The cloud pattern has also become more symmetric
than 6 hours ago, with outflow expanding in all quadrants. Satellite
estimates supported an intensity of 65 kt at 0600 UTC, but with the
improving satellite presentation since that time, the initial wind
speed is set to 70 kt. Dora has about 12-24 hours to further
strengthen before a combination of cooling SSTs and a more
dry and stable environment likely causes the hurricane to start to
decay. Interestingly, the models are in poor agreement on the
weakening rate of Dora, with the regional hurricane models showing
the cyclone losing strength much faster than the statistical aids.
Since the shear is expected to remain low, which would normally
inhibit dry air intrusions, the NHC forecast is a little higher than
the model consensus, closer to the SHIPS/LGEM solutions and the
previous NHC forecast. Given the spread in the guidance, this is a
low confidence forecast.

Dora is moving west-northwestward or 295/11 kt. A strong mid-level
ridge to the north of Dora is expected to steer the tropical
cyclone west-northwestward over the next couple of days. Dora
should turn westward in about 3 days as it loses deep convection and
becomes a more shallow low. Models have shifted a bit southward
since the previous advisory, and the official NHC track forecast
follows suit.
The global models also show Dora weakening into a
trough by day 5, and this is reflected in the dissipation forecast
for that time.

Although Dora is forecast to remain offshore, the outer bands of the
tropical cyclone could bring locally heavy rainfall to portions of
coastal southwestern Mexico through this evening.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#337 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:18 am

Spotty showers have popped across DFW. Get under one and its a pretty good burst of rain and feels cool.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#338 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:23 am

In other news, Ensembles and OP are beginning to support a broad heat ridge in the middle of the nation July 4th week (next week) with the Sonoran and Bermuda ridge teaming up. I would start settling on a longer duration heat wave than we have seen so far this year. Typical dog days of summer likely to start July
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#339 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:02 pm

Ntxw wrote:In other news, Ensembles and OP are beginning to support a broad heat ridge in the middle of the nation July 4th week (next week) with the Sonoran and Bermuda ridge teaming up. I would start settling on a longer duration heat wave than we have seen so far this year. Typical dog days of summer likely to start July

:uarrow: :(
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#340 Postby Brent » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:03 pm

Ntxw wrote:In other news, Ensembles and OP are beginning to support a broad heat ridge in the middle of the nation July 4th week (next week) with the Sonoran and Bermuda ridge teaming up. I would start settling on a longer duration heat wave than we have seen so far this year. Typical dog days of summer likely to start July

Need a dislike button

But it was only a matter of time. :(
0 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”