Texas Summer 2017

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
gto67
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Summer 2017

#1701 Postby gto67 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:08 pm

La Grange, Columbus, and Eagle Lake are having mandatory evacuations in areas around the Colorado river. Colorado in La Grange is projected to crest at 49.1 ft the highest the Colorado crested since 1935 at 50.84. I have had 17.97" in Weimar as of now and more to come. Everyone be safe.
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1702 Postby South Texas Storms » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:15 pm

Certainly a historic flood event here in Houston. Very thankful water hasn't gotten into my home so far. I've been more fortunate than most areas of town...only about 14 inches compared to 24 inches across other parts of the area.
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1703 Postby gboudx » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:24 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:Certainly a historic flood event here in Houston. Very thankful water hasn't gotten into my home so far. I've been more fortunate than most areas of town...only about 14 inches compared to 24 inches across other parts of the area.

It's something when you say you've ONLY received 14" of rain.
2 likes   

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1704 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:26 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:Certainly a historic flood event here in Houston. Very thankful water hasn't gotten into my home so far. I've been more fortunate than most areas of town...only about 14 inches compared to 24 inches across other parts of the area.

Stay safe over there, yeah? Keep checking in if you can.
1 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

Irene '11, Sandy '12, Irma '17 (SAR)

"Hard to think we were born to live this way..." -Wage War

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1705 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:44 pm

Looks like its a hybrid low now. Someone on twitter called this a few hours ago, and by where the precip is falling, it looks to be so. There is a boundary in the Eastern/NE quadrant of the storm. How would this effect re-intensification? Would it be slower if this is a hybrid now?

Im at 28", so far im okay. I am watching oyster creek like a hawk though
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1706 Postby Ntxw » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:46 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Looks like its a hybrid low now. Someone on twitter called this a few hours ago, and by where the precip is falling, it looks to be so. There is a boundary in the Eastern/NE quadrant of the storm. How would this effect re-intensification? Would it be slower if this is a hybrid now?

I would not be too concerned with re intensification too much. Regardless of what happens that way, the fetch being drawn in via the gulf is wide open so the effects of rainfall will likely continue as it has been whether the actually low center gets stronger or not
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1707 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:06 pm

Ntxw wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Looks like its a hybrid low now. Someone on twitter called this a few hours ago, and by where the precip is falling, it looks to be so. There is a boundary in the Eastern/NE quadrant of the storm. How would this effect re-intensification? Would it be slower if this is a hybrid now?

I would not be too concerned with re intensification too much. Regardless of what happens that way, the fetch being drawn in via the gulf is wide open so the effects of rainfall will likely continue as it has been whether the actually low center gets stronger or not

Thanks buddy. Really appreciate your knowledge.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1708 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:33 pm

gboudx wrote:

It's something when you say you've ONLY received 14" of rain.

I was thinking the same EXACT thing! All relative. :wink:
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1709 Postby Brent » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:09 pm

0z GFS brings Harvey on top of DFW Friday, has totals near a foot just east of the metroplex with 3-6" in Dallas/Collin County

while the 12z Euro was into Arkansas with very little rain...

Last edited by Brent on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.
0 likes   
#neversummer

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1710 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:13 pm

I had an inch from Thursday. Emptied that to prep for Harvey. Emptied gauge last night at 4 inches. I have an additional 2.5 inches now.

7.5 inches for me. Been more of a consistent windy system over last 36 hours with constant, but manageable rain. Lots of downed twigs and branches.

We also sprung a leak in the kitchen ceiling last night! Just drips. No leaks today since last night. Think the constant wind and gusts over 36 hours may have loosened roofing.

But we contacted our home insurance. An adjuster is coming in a day or two. Someone supposed to come with a tarp to cover roof in the morning. Another guy we know in Georgetown also has a leak in his house. They also had a couple buckets catching water from doorways at church this morning. So we aren't the only ones with a leak apparently. Ms. Weatherdude1108s aunt and uncle cypress said there is two inches of water in their house. They moved up to the second floor. Power on. Crazy stuff going on in SE Texas, something we won't likely experience in a while!
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1711 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:37 pm

This dry slot here could be big for Fort bend county at least. HRRR is projecting less than 2" for me tomorow. Keep praying fellas. I miss the sun. Seriously.
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1712 Postby Cpv17 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:30 am

Guys, I have a legit question for y'all. Someone with more knowledge might be able to answer this for me, but clearly the center of Harvey the past day or two has been void of convection. The heavy stuff has remained a good 100 miles or so north and east of the center. If that trend continues then why are they still forecasting so much rain for SE TX if the center is going to be hanging around that area the next few days? It seems as if to me the rain for the most part besides maybe a couple inches would be over with. It seems like the higher totals would push more into far east TX and into Louisiana. Thoughts on this??
0 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1713 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:48 am

Beaumont is getting hammered right now.
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#1714 Postby Shoshana » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:49 am

weatherdude1108 wrote:I had an inch from Thursday. Emptied that to prep for Harvey. Emptied gauge last night at 4 inches. I have an additional 2.5 inches now.

7.5 inches for me. Been more of a consistent windy system over last 36 hours with constant, but manageable rain. Lots of downed twigs and branches.

We also sprung a leak in the kitchen ceiling last night! Just drips. No leaks today since last night. Think the constant wind and gusts over 36 hours may have loosened roofing.

But we contacted our home insurance. An adjuster is coming in a day or two. Someone supposed to come with a tarp to cover roof in the morning. Another guy we know in Georgetown also has a leak in his house. They also had a couple buckets catching water from doorways at church this morning. So we aren't the only ones with a leak apparently. Ms. Weatherdude1108s aunt and uncle cypress said there is two inches of water in their house. They moved up to the second floor. Power on. Crazy stuff going on in SE Texas, something we won't likely experience in a while!

I don't know how much rain we've had but it has to have been at least 10". We sprang a couple leaks too, one I think was the wind driving the rain under the flashing or something cause we never got a drip in the house just a small damp spot on the ceiling. The other one was also wind driven where we need to reseal a window. All on the north side of the house. Normally we don't get rain blown from that direction.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1715 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:18 am

Well, already at 2.30" of rain today, this yellow colored band of moderate rain is stuck over me.

One thing to note, the temp began dropping to 73 degrees at around 6am. Kind of sharply, does this mean were dealing with a diff kind of system now? Temp hasnt been this low since the rains began. Winds out of the ENE.
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1716 Postby gboudx » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:38 am

I also posted this on the Harvey Discussion thread. If you're affected or know someone, please heed the warning:

If you are in any of the voluntary and mandatory evacuation areas in Fort Bend County….you need to leave immediately. There are pumping issues in Sienna Plantation and it is likely that some of the levees will be overtopped. Follow directions of local emergency officials
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1717 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:41 am

Oh my goodness. Not far from me. Lots of people in Sienna, fairly new 'city' now.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1718 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:03 pm

Gusts are increasing here now. Still light rain, just had one at 40 mph for sure
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1719 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:27 pm

My wife has an aunt and uncle in the Cypresswood/Jones Road area. They started getting an inch of water downstairs last night and moved upstairs. Today, there was a foot of water downstairs. They have never flooded down there to that degree!

They decided to leave. Her son has a friend with a boat that took them out of there. I've been to their a few times for Christmas. Sad. :(

Update: They went to a shelter in Tomball.
Last edited by weatherdude1108 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1720 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:28 pm

As far as good news, I've noticed the temperatures were 69 degrees last night and when I woke up this morning at my place. High of 79 to 80 today through this week and lows around 69 and 70. I guess there are benefits to being on the western side of a low pressure system in the northern hemisphere (if you have already had a lot of rain, unlike the September 2011 inferno).

Nice! :)

Austin Area Forecast
This AfternoonA 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a high near 79. North northeast wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

TonightA 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. North northeast wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

TuesdayA 30 percent chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 81. North northeast wind 10 to 15 mph.
Tuesday NightA 40 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 70. North northeast wind around 10 mph.

WednesdayA 50 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 80. North wind 10 to 15 mph.

Wednesday NightA 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. North wind around 10 mph.

ThursdayA 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 84. North northwest wind around 10 mph.

Thursday NightA 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 69. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south southwest after midnight.

FridayA 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 86. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming north in the afternoon.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”