Texas Summer 2017

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Summer 2017

#1721 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:32 pm

What a heartbreaking disaster this is for so many people.

It will take weeks, months, and maybe even years for some to fully recover.

My heart just sinks at the news headlines that keep coming in.

Harvey, go away. :cry:
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1722 Postby Cpv17 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:56 pm

We're now up to 23" of rain in Wharton.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1723 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:35 pm

Did the math this morning, with today having over 5" im at around 35 or 36" now.
Source:
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... 40#history
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1724 Postby Brent » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:22 pm

In more positive news, summer may be over after this

Hardly any 90s and maybe even some fairly widespread 60s next week
1 likes   
#neversummer

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1725 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:05 pm

I'm up to nearly 30 inches and it's still pouring. Unbelievable.

I couldn't get into work yesterday due to the major highways being flooded.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1726 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:52 pm

Another 2 days for Houston and there is light at the end of the tunnel. By the weekend hopefully clearing enough for water to recede. Staggering totals.

Elsewhere, DFW is on pace to see the first below normal month since May 2016
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1727 Postby Brent » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:13 pm

Ntxw wrote:Elsewhere, DFW is on pace to see the first below normal month since May 2016

please let us be turning a corner...

September is looking to start off below normal too
0 likes   
#neversummer

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#1728 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:25 pm

Hoping everyone in the Houston area is okay.

The total rainfall for this event here at my house, counting the last 3 days is 11.05in, this is rain gauge total only not taking into account any blowing rain. Radar storm total estimates show this area had close to 12 inches. I think my total is pretty accurate give or take maybe a couple of hundreds that might have not fallen in.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#1729 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:27 pm

Shoshana wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:I had an inch from Thursday. Emptied that to prep for Harvey. Emptied gauge last night at 4 inches. I have an additional 2.5 inches now.

7.5 inches for me. Been more of a consistent windy system over last 36 hours with constant, but manageable rain. Lots of downed twigs and branches.

We also sprung a leak in the kitchen ceiling last night! Just drips. No leaks today since last night. Think the constant wind and gusts over 36 hours may have loosened roofing.

But we contacted our home insurance. An adjuster is coming in a day or two. Someone supposed to come with a tarp to cover roof in the morning. Another guy we know in Georgetown also has a leak in his house. They also had a couple buckets catching water from doorways at church this morning. So we aren't the only ones with a leak apparently. Ms. Weatherdude1108s aunt and uncle cypress said there is two inches of water in their house. They moved up to the second floor. Power on. Crazy stuff going on in SE Texas, something we won't likely experience in a while!

I don't know how much rain we've had but it has to have been at least 10". We sprang a couple leaks too, one I think was the wind driving the rain under the flashing or something cause we never got a drip in the house just a small damp spot on the ceiling. The other one was also wind driven where we need to reseal a window. All on the north side of the house. Normally we don't get rain blown from that direction.

Interesting that you mentioned blowing rain getting in, I had to put towels down on the floor by the door leading out to the lanai. Water was blowing through the door crack. It's the first time this has happened.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1730 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:32 pm

When you look back in history, 3 of the greatest rainfall records have occurred in the Houston area. 1979 Claudette which set records in Alvin with over 40", 2001 Allison nearing 40", and Harvey 2017 nearing 40" or more. To say Houston is prone to biblical rains is an understatement
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1731 Postby Brent » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:07 pm

Harvey not all bad just saw this

0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1732 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:14 pm

While I did post light at the end of the tunnel, the next 48 hours is going to be a true test for Texans. As bad as the rain has been down in Houston, I fear it will get worse come tomorrow and the next day. Models do not move what is left of Harvey just off the coast of Galveston and will crawl north slowly. The unrelenting river of rain is going to dump another foot or two on the Houston metro area making a horrible situation even worse. I hope the folks trapped can be rescued before the waters rise even more.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1733 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:36 pm

What does the sun look like? It's been dark and rainy for at least the past 5 days now.

And it's still pouring here right now. I'll probably end up with well over 30 inches by the time it finally stops raining.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1734 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:06 am

Looking at the inundation map from where they expect the brazos flood to go, im very very very close to it. Continue with you prayers please. Thank you very much.

It shows home two houses down flooding at 58 ft, but says i will be ok at that level so continue praying please
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1735 Postby Ntxw » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:34 am

Stay safe TPB we are praying for you and everyone in east and southeast/LA. If you feel it is too close for comfort, consider evacuating to a safer location if that is a possibility for peace of mind. It is better to get out if you can before it gets into your home. But that is up to your judgement

Harvey will sit and spin slowly so don't let the weakening at times of radar fool you, there are many more waves of torrential rain to come, just unbelievable
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1736 Postby Brent » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:10 am

seeing signs something may form in the NW Gulf behind Harvey on the models... would just make matters worse, at the very least more rain
0 likes   
#neversummer

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1737 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:24 am

63 this morning. Felt amazing.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1738 Postby Portastorm » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:38 am

It appears Harvey has broken the back of summer for south central Texas. No sign of 100s in model guidance looking ahead.

I'm sure we'd all be willing to take a few more weeks of it though if it meant no destruction of some wonderful middle TX coastal towns and the apocalyptic flooding of Houston.
2 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1739 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:44 am

What was predicted last Thursday through September 1st

What came to fruition through August 28th

I always like to see how well the models performed. Hard to predict a monster like this. Someone in the office called this the "Tasmanian Devil hurricane."
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1740 Postby Ntxw » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:36 am

Reminder we will be moving to the Fall thread this Friday on the 1st. Hopefully that will signal change in the chapter we would all like to put behind us

We have a small family like group here in the TX threads. It would be great if you are in SE TX to make a quick post that you are ok to give the rest of us some relief in the coming days, if possible.
3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”