Texas Summer 2017

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Summer 2017

#1781 Postby Ntxw » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:48 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
BrokenGlassRepublicn wrote:
gboudx wrote:
Yep, it's a snowball going downhill effect. It was reported there would be supply issues and potential for shortages, and people lost their minds. At least we get a preview of what it may look like around here for the zombie apocalypse.

You have to factor in that Labor Day is a heavy car travel weekend...people (like me) heading to college football games and other weekend trips that don't want to have to break plans because of gasoline. That being said, I went out for lunch and it is madness at any intersection with a gas station, and about half the ones I drove by are out.

Same thing even up here. I think all 460 residents of where I live decided to all get gas at the same time. We have two pumps. I decided to go into Wichita Falls to get gas and its just as bad. My 12 miles a gallon truck will probably be parked for a while until things calm down.

The Texas Railroad commissioner, head of oil regulations etc, noted that the issue currently is not that there is no fuel. Rather just delayed problems with logistics of delivering the fuel (makes sense since gas tankers would have trouble making it up to deliver) but it's not our only source. The gas stations going out and lines is a people problem. A gas station just can't handle everyone in droves all filling up in the same day.

Kind of reminds me of winter. A snowflake falls and half the freeway halts to a stop.

For travelers in a day or two it will die down. There are deliveries from Oklahoma that was planned as backup so no need to rush out today to get gas.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1782 Postby Brent » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:48 pm

Okay this gas shortage has gotten out of hand there's a line in the middle of the highway backed up to buy gas like really people
0 likes   
#neversummer

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1783 Postby gboudx » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:06 pm

People have lost their minds. You'd swear we're about to go Mad Max and there will be no more fuel.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1784 Postby Ntxw » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:14 pm

It's a good example of how social media is both good and bad. Bad in this case where officials are blaming it on people spreading a piece of news like wildfire. Some sense that gas disruptions could occur and then people rush. Then once the stations run out they post and spread the images of those stations out of gas out of context and its a domino effect.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1785 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:56 pm

:uarrow:
I had no idea about it until someone at work mentioned it. A coworker had to go to four different places to buy gas. Every gas station that I drove by had lines, or signs that said no gas. I was like, seriously??

My brother in San Antonio needed gas because he drives a lot. He went to 8 gas stations, then finally found one. It took him 45 minutes to wait in line.

I got gas before Harvey hit. I'm down to a half tank. My wife also has a half tank, but we're taking a trip to Waco Sunday.

You know the oil companies are loving this mass hysteria, with the inflated prices! Raking in the dough.lol
:woo:
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1786 Postby Ntxw » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:21 am

This thread is now Closed for discussion as we have transitioned to the Fall thread for September-October-November. All general discussion posts will be moved. Thank you all as we close out meteorological summer :D

Texas Fall Thread
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”