Texas Summer 2017

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Summer 2017

#361 Postby gpsnowman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:34 pm

Big beautiful storm over my place in Irving atm. Thunder, lighting, and heavy rain. A gorgeous sight in late June. Or on any day for that matter.
2 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#362 Postby gpsnowman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:53 pm

I live close to DFW airport so any additional rainfall could push the June record I believe. Ntwx or another stat genius would have to verify the claim. Either way June has been a good month for rain and lower temps although the 100 degree day this past Friday was brutal. Damn, still two months to go.
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#363 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:02 pm

gpsnowman wrote:I live close to DFW airport so any additional rainfall could push the June record I believe. Ntwx or another stat genius would have to verify the claim. Either way June has been a good month for rain and lower temps although the 100 degree day this past Friday was brutal. Damn, still two months to go.

Enjoy it while it lasts! We'll probably see many more 100 degree days in July and August...
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#364 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:04 pm

gpsnowman wrote:I live close to DFW airport so any additional rainfall could push the June record I believe. Ntwx or another stat genius would have to verify the claim. Either way June has been a good month for rain and lower temps although the 100 degree day this past Friday was brutal. Damn, still two months to go.

Slow moving storm over Irving and south side of the airport. North side of the airport isnt much. We'll find out soon where the recording station is.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#365 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:12 pm

Ntxw wrote:

Slow moving storm over Irving and south side of the airport. North side of the airport isnt much. We'll find out soon where the recording station is.

0.50 inch last hour at DFW.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#366 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:10 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

0.50 inch last hour at DFW.

Thanks!

0.51" officially. Radar estimates 1-2" on the south end of the airport and parallel parts of Irving which is where I am at and I got 1.22". Radar estimate shows little to 0 on the north end of the airport so the station has to be somewhere in the middle closer to the terminals.

That means 8.44" at DFW so far for the month. Good enough for 5th wettest as it stands, only 1928, 1989, 2004, and 2007 wetter. It is also the wettest month since November of 2015 for the airport during the big Nino. June has really come to the rescue for what May never was.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#367 Postby Brent » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:13 pm

Looks like could be another good rain event to start July on Saturday morning at least in DFW GFS has 2 inches of rain
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#368 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:23 pm

Brent wrote:Looks like could be another good rain event to start July on Saturday morning at least in DFW GFS has 2 inches of rain

July only averages 2.16". That would be something
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#369 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:59 pm

That post of temps in 1980 is just ridiculous. My goodness. The rain you guys got in DFW will go a long way. Looking at soundings in the SE Tx area during this possible heat ridge, looks like we could be on the edge of it and receive rain from it still.

Something to note, since we were discussing the Arctic before, it almost looks like a PV in the arctic right now. Big strong low pressure. Should inhibit ice melt for a time being.

Looks like we will have more storms for us here in Houston tomorrow morning. These storms are dropping ALOT of rain with PWAT values in the 2.5" region.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#370 Postby Brent » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:46 am

Ntxw wrote:
Brent wrote:Looks like could be another good rain event to start July on Saturday morning at least in DFW GFS has 2 inches of rain

July only averages 2.16". That would be something

GFS again has a rain bullseye into DFW... the epicenter is up in S OK and along the Red River(a spot NW of Ardmore OK gets nearly a foot!!!) but the airport is still around 2 inches

The other models are not as bullish... Euro at 12z was a half inch to an inch, CMC is around an inch.
1 likes   
#neversummer

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#371 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:27 am

Sooooooo on my storm app, it seems there is a low pressure just off shore near CC in the gulf. The HRRR had an ominous spin to it when i looked at it last night, and today, it shows a low pressure. There is some shear to the north of the Low but it doesnt look any worse than Cindy as far as shear. Chances this needs to be watched?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#372 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:36 am

It still looks hotter next week than this week. Caveat is 500mb heights aren't as high as they were looking from long range. It looks to bridge above us in the high plains where hottest will be. Seems the weakness over Texas (wet grounds? Green?) Is not letting ridges get a grip. Also will provide better opportunities for afternoon thunderstorms for a lucky few.
2 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#373 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:48 am

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Sooooooo on my storm app, it seems there is a low pressure just off shore near CC in the gulf. The HRRR had an ominous spin to it when i looked at it last night, and today, it shows a low pressure. There is some shear to the north of the Low but it doesnt look any worse than Cindy as far as shear. Chances this needs to be watched?

Shear is too high now, the shear is actually enhancing convection. 30-40kts of shear is too much. In a few days shear will relax but the vorticity will be ashore. Subsidence across the western Atlantic after Cindy is probably not helping at the moment. Coastal TX should continue to see rains from this feature though.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#374 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 am

Ntxw wrote:It still looks hotter next week than this week. Caveat is 500mb heights aren't as high as they were looking from long range. It looks to bridge above us in the high plains where hottest will be. Seems the weakness over Texas (wet grounds? Green?) Is not letting ridges get a grip. Also will provide better opportunities for afternoon thunderstorms for a lucky few.

Maybe on the edge of it too. #RingofFire
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#375 Postby South Texas Storms » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:05 pm

The long range outlook sure is ugly for much of Texas over the next few weeks. Most of the models show the majority of the state seeing under 1 inch of rain over the next 2 weeks. Brutal.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#376 Postby Brent » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 pm

Dog days of summer.... :roll: hopefully it ends before September...
0 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#377 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Isn't July the driest month for Texas?
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#378 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Cpv17 wrote:Isn't July the driest month for Texas?

Looks like Austin is driest in July at 1.89 inches.

DFW Airport is driest in August at 1.85 inches.
Houston is driest in February with 3.19 inches.

Average July Precipitation
2.2 inches- DFW Airport
1.89 inches- Austin
3.78 inches - Houston

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/te ... tates/3213
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

BrokenGlassRepublicn
Category 1
Category 1

#379 Postby BrokenGlassRepublicn » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:17 pm

Brent wrote:Dog days of summer.... :roll: hopefully it ends before September...

Yep. I'll be in Colorado next week and then it is 6 weeks of hell. Usually in NoTx we get a little relief by the end of August.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#380 Postby Brent » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:42 pm

BrokenGlassRepublicn wrote:
Brent wrote:Dog days of summer.... :roll: hopefully it ends before September...

Yep. I'll be in Colorado next week and then it is 6 weeks of hell. Usually in NoTx we get a little relief by the end of August.

Last 2 years had some unseasonably cool in mid/late August so hopefully.... still remember people at work last year wearing heavy coats when it was 80 and raining... :lol:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”