Texas Summer 2017

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Summer 2017

#381 Postby Portastorm » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:03 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
Ntxw wrote:It still looks hotter next week than this week. Caveat is 500mb heights aren't as high as they were looking from long range. It looks to bridge above us in the high plains where hottest will be. Seems the weakness over Texas (wet grounds? Green?) Is not letting ridges get a grip. Also will provide better opportunities for afternoon thunderstorms for a lucky few.

Maybe on the edge of it too. #RingofFire

Ah the "Ring of Fire" ... one of my favorite weather terms. No fun being in the ring though.

Seems like the longer range parts of the Euro and GFS ensembles suggest at least the bottom of half of Texas will not be under the strong ridging progged to develop across the middle of the country. Perhaps we can remain open to influences from the Gulf and get some sporadic rainfall. But we are getting to the time climalogically where the spigot turns off, and the blast furnace turns on.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#382 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:03 pm

Time for a SIESTA.

:sun:
:layout:
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#383 Postby JDawg512 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:01 am

I'm glad it rained when it did, but the soil moisture and rejuvenated plant growth will not last for more than a week. Within 2 weeks most flora will slow or shut down and the top 6 inches of soil will be dry. By the 3rd week of July, if we don't see significant rain, deep soil moisture will be depleted.

There doesn't look like there is much hope long range for July and yes it is the driest month of the year for Austin as weatherdude1108 alluded to so I'm not expecting much to happen.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#384 Postby Brent » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:27 am

GFS now has zero rain at DFW this weekend after having 2 inches last night...

and only has a few hundredths the entire run. Also hits 100 next weekend.

Time for a hiatus from this thread it appears.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#385 Postby Portastorm » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:38 am

JDawg512 wrote:I'm glad it rained when it did, but the soil moisture and rejuvenated plant growth will not last for more than a week. Within 2 weeks most flora will slow or shut down and the top 6 inches of soil will be dry. By the 3rd week of July, if we don't see significant rain, deep soil moisture will be depleted.

There doesn't look like there is much hope long range for July and yes it is the driest month of the year for Austin as weatherdude1108 alluded to so I'm not expecting much to happen.

I was wondering about that. For example, I received close to 3" of rain in 24 hours earlier this week. Took the dogs on my usual walk through a wooded trail with a dry creek bed. That creek bed will fill with water usually when we receive those kind of amounts. But the next day it was dry ... no sitting or flowing water. I figured the top levels of the soil must be relatively dry.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#386 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:37 am

Brent wrote:GFS now has zero rain at DFW this weekend after having 2 inches last night...

3k NAM has been pretty aggressive with totals but has been jumpy with location. I was out of town and didn't pay too much attention to the last two events but it seems like they both over performed, maybe that will happen again.
0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#387 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:42 am

bubba hotep wrote:
Brent wrote:GFS now has zero rain at DFW this weekend after having 2 inches last night...

3k NAM has been pretty aggressive with totals but has been jumpy with location. I was out of town and didn't pay too much attention to the last two events but it seems like they both over performed, maybe that will happen again.

I would guess the next QPF event will overperform based on recent real-world events and July climatology, unless we get a tropical system in the mix. Then all bets are off.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#388 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:51 am

Portastorm wrote:
JDawg512 wrote:I'm glad it rained when it did, but the soil moisture and rejuvenated plant growth will not last for more than a week. Within 2 weeks most flora will slow or shut down and the top 6 inches of soil will be dry. By the 3rd week of July, if we don't see significant rain, deep soil moisture will be depleted.

I was wondering about that. For example, I received close to 3" of rain in 24 hours earlier this week. Took the dogs on my usual walk through a wooded trail with a dry creek bed. That creek bed will fill with water usually when we receive those kind of amounts. But the next day it was dry ... no sitting or flowing water. I figured the top levels of the soil must be relatively dry.

Well, I am sure that the 0.25" that my soil got this past week is going to evaporate within the next 24 hours.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#389 Postby Brent » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:55 pm

bubba hotep wrote:

That is true, pretty much everything in June overperformed. DFW is at 5th wettest right now apparently(any rain Saturday will probably be in July)

The model on the news I saw also had a line moving into DFW after midnight.
0 likes   
#neversummer

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#390 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:41 pm

Brent wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

That is true, pretty much everything in June overperformed. DFW is at 5th wettest right now apparently(any rain Saturday will probably be in July)

The model on the news I saw also had a line moving into DFW after midnight

That sounds kind of like the 12z Texas Tech run.
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#391 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:02 pm

HRRR is doing some funny stuff tomorrow, it lays down a pretty subtle boundary across DFW near the end of the run with a more robust outflow boundary approaching the Red River. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#392 Postby Brent » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:07 pm

GFS now on a very unsettled pattern around next weekend a lot of rain lol
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#393 Postby Ntxw » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:09 pm

Brent wrote:GFS now on a very unsettled pattern around next weekend a lot of rain lol

It develops a cutoff upper trough that meanders around Texas backpedaling with the ridge centered in the mountain west. Euro says no, broad ridge and warmer
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#394 Postby gpsnowman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:37 pm

About to take my annual jaunt to beautiful Caddo Lake in east Texas for the 4th. Always hot and humid with at most one day with rain it seems. According to my AccuWeather app, the sprawling metropolis of Uncertain Texas could have rain on Saturday with a dry 4th. Looks like the lake fireworks show will go on as planned. Happy 4th of July to all in case I do not post again.
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#395 Postby South Texas Storms » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:11 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Brent wrote:GFS now on a very unsettled pattern around next weekend a lot of rain lol

It develops a cutoff upper trough that meanders around Texas backpedaling with the ridge centered in the mountain west. Euro says no, broad ridge and warmer

GFS Parallel also shows no rain. I doubt we're going to see any significant rainfall across much of Texas over the next few weeks at least.

Latest Euro Weeklies agree.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#396 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:39 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

GFS Parallel also shows no rain. I doubt we're going to see any significant rainfall across much of Texas over the next few weeks at least.

Latest Euro Weeklies agree.

:uarrow:
Was hoping you would say significant rain is in the long range. But, we have to expect the inevitable this time of year in Texas.
:firedevil: :sleeping:
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#397 Postby South Texas Storms » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:47 pm

:uarrow:
Believe me...I really wish it was looking more promising in the long range.

Looking towards the end of the run, it shows the pattern becoming more active towards late July and August. I hope we don't have to wait that long.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#398 Postby NDG » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:57 pm

Some nice Saharan Dust will be visiting coastal TX and LA starting tomorrow into the weekend.

Last edited by NDG on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#399 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:06 pm

00z 3k NAM is pretty good for everyone north of 20 and west of 30. I'm not buying the 18z GFS either but I would expect models to continue to struggle in the medium and long range. There are some signs that the persistent la nina like atmospheric background state is about to finally break down and the models will probably struggle with that. The latest Euro Weekly control run is very wet looking.
0 likes   

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#400 Postby starsfan65 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:25 am

bubba hotep wrote:HRRR is doing some funny stuff tomorrow, it lays down a pretty subtle boundary across DFW near the end of the run with a more robust outflow boundary approaching the Red River. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.
When is this going to happen?
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”