Texas Summer 2017

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Texas Summer 2017

#1661 Postby South Texas Storms » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:19 pm

Unfortunately the models calling for the flood disaster in Houston and surrounding areas are going to verify. I fear a lot of homes that have never flooded will during this event. No signs of the torrential rainfall stopping here for at least the next several hours.
1 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1662 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:45 pm

JDawg512 wrote:About to pass 7 inches here at my house just blocks away from South Austin Hospital. Wind continues to gust very strong. Just in the last 30 min I've seen 3 power flashes, the last one less than 10 min ago and heard the pop from that one. So far so good power has stayed on but we are connected to the same power grid as the hospital. All the houses across the street can lose power while this side stays on.

JDawg512 wrote:About to pass 7 inches here at my house just blocks away from South Austin Hospital. Wind continues to gust very strong. Just in the last 30 min I've seen 3 power flashes, the last one less than 10 min ago and heard the pop from that one. So far so good power has stayed on but we are connected to the same power grid as the hospital. All the houses across the street can lose power while this side stays on.

I emptied my rain gauge before bed at 4 inches. It holds 5.

Our ceiling in our kitchen sprung a leak tonight. It is periodically dripping. Put bucket underneath for now. I left messages with plumber and construction guys I know. I may be contacting insurance. :roll:
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1663 Postby Brent » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:56 pm

Man that front after Labor Day looks amazing... could be some lows in the 50s and highs in the 70s... :eek:

Hope it holds up, summer could truly be over

Very unsettled pattern til then
1 likes   
#neversummer

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#1664 Postby JDawg512 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:06 am

8 inches. I need to get out there soon to do some close up observations of the 2 back gauges. I have 3 set up in different areas of the yard. The closest one I can see from the lanai.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1665 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:42 am

Hello fellas. Just crawled back home from Sweeny on the san bernard. Well, things werent too bad down there for Friday night. Ive since returned to houston and just came home from a friends after the fight. I had to drive backwards down the highway to stay out of high water on hwy 90A in sugar land which ive never seen before. The entrance to my subdivision has high water which has never happened. The lake were on is out of its banks, happened once for a couple hours. This is insane. And no i see the fresh band coming into us. This is terrible.

My house is ok, dry inside, its not me but others that dont usually flood im concerned about. Such a horrible situation.

My station went out friday... not happy about that at all, but i have had about 15" since friday afternoon. Please keep praying for us.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1666 Postby South Texas Storms » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:58 am

I love rain more than anyone, but how much rain has already fallen here in Houston, plus how much more is forecast is just rediculous. I can't believe how historic this rainfall event will be.

I really wish I could send some of it westward to areas that still need it, like areas west of San Antonio that missed out on this storm.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1667 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:24 am

Reports coming out of Houston is that there's some people having to go into their attics to escape the high water. Unreal. :double:
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1668 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 am

"@HerzigWeather -- #BREAKING: @NWSHouston now calls this "Epic catastrophic flooding" around the Houston and Galveston areas.

I have never seen this language."
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1669 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:50 am

At 4:58 a.m. on 8/27/17...

"@HerzogWeather -- PLEASE STAY HOME!

@NWSHouston now reports over 1000 high water rescues and confirms 5 fatalities."
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1670 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:55 am

At 5:53 a.m. on 8/27/17...

"@HerzogWeather -- #BREAKING: New message from emergency manager is DO NOT GET INTO YOUR ATTIC - GET ON THE ROOF! If calling 911, stay on line until answered."
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1671 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:56 am

My heart is just sinking as these reports come in... :cry:

"@HerzogWeather -- The flooding we are experiencing is unfathomable. #PrayForSoutheastTexas."
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1672 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:01 am

At 5:56 a.m. on 8/27/17...

"@HerzogWeather -- #BREAKING: @hcfcd reports water is getting into the second story of homes and apartments around Hobby Airport, Hunting and Dickinson bayous."
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1673 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:14 am

"@NWSHouston -- WANT TO STRESS Persons should NOT go into their attics, but instead onto the roof, & if calling 911 stay on the line until it is answered!!"
0 likes   

TexasBreeze
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1674 Postby TexasBreeze » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:20 am

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX
601 AM CDT Sun Aug 27 2017

...FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR LIFE-THREATENING CATASTROPHIC FLOODING...

.DISCUSSION...
Epic and catastrophic flooding has occurred in and around the
Houston and Galveston areas and surrounding communities overnight,
and very heavy rains continue falling across these areas early
this morning. Rainfall totals between Saturday evening and early
this morning have totaled 15 to 30 inches. Tropical Storm Harvey
is approximately 50 miles east southeast of San Antonio and has
remained nearly stationary all night long. Showers and thunderstorms
along Harvey`s feeder bands have spread 4 to 6 inch per hour producing
rainfall rates resulting in this historic event. Activity continues
spreading across already devastated areas with hourly rainfall
rates averaging around 4 to 5 inches in the Matagorda-Brazoria
County storms and around 6 to 7 inches in the Galveston-Harris
County area storms. We might get a break from the rain some time
later today, but additional storm development is likely overnight.
It is possible that these new storms could become concentrated a
little further westward than this morning`s activity. However,
with Harvey expected to remain in the same general area between
its current location and the coast over the next several days,
additional life-threatening rainfall totals of 15 to 25 inches
with isolated higher amounts are possible across the Flash Flood
Watch area over the next several days, and results could be
devastating if any of these rains fall where catastrophic flooding
has already occurred. 42
&&

.HYDROLOGY...
There have been record crests across numerous bayous across southern
Harris County overnight. Due to the heavy rain, we are expecting
record crests during the week ahead. 43
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1675 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:38 am

How bad is it in Houston this morning? Ryan Maue tweeted a short while ago that this is worse than the worst case scenario for Houston.
0 likes   

TexasBreeze
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1676 Postby TexasBreeze » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:50 am

Saw a map on abc13 that showed almost every watershed in Harris County have flood gauges to top of bank. Incredible...
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1677 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:56 am

"@TxStormChasers -- KHOU studio in Houston flooding. They're evacuating to their second floor. #houwx #houstonflooding #txwx"
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1678 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:05 am

"@wxjerdman -- Peak totals not close yet, but some parts of #Houston have picked up as much rain in past 24-hours as 5-day totals from #Allison. #Harvey"
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1679 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:19 am

"@ndhapple -- Meanwhile 19-20 inches fell over the last 12 hours at two rain gauges near Hobby Airport — in Mount Vernon and Southpark."
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1680 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:22 am

At 7:17 a.m. on 8/27/17...

"@NWSHouston -- "CATASTROPHIC FLOODING IN THE HOUSTON METROPOLITAN AREA IS EXPECTED TO WORSEN AND COULD BECOME HISTORIC" ow.ly/7JEF30eHOrd #houwx"
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”