Texas Fall 2017

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Fall 2017

#121 Postby Ntxw » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:03 am

Brent wrote:Anyone think EPAC Norma could bring us some rain middle end of next week? It looks like it's going to recurve

That's what some guidance are showing, particularly the GFS with a heavy rain event connected to Norma after landfall near the baja or NW Mex.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#122 Postby Brent » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Euro doesn't show much during the work week but has a good front next weekend with widespread rainfall
1 likes   
#neversummer

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#123 Postby aggiecutter » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Portastorm wrote:Great info aggiecutter.

We've been bandying about the whole Niña thing in the Texas Winter thread also. We've had several nice winter weather events in Austin during Niña winters. The last time it snowed here was during a Niña winter (2011).

I just went back and looked more closely at the graph that I posted earlier. Nearly all the years where there was a strong to moderately strong La Nina, the Texarkana area was the recipient of some sort of major winter weather event. 1973- major ice storm in January. 1989- Frigid cold in December. 2000- 2 major winter storms and a catastrophic ice-storm. 2011- on two occasions in January, Texarkana received 6" of snow, and a 4" snowfall the first week of February. As Ryan Maue posted yesterday, there is a correlation between strong to moderately strong La Ninas and severe winter weather.

I would take that even further and say there is also a correlation between extreme weather events and La Ninas. In 2011, there was the Dixie Alley Tornado outbreak in April, the devastating Joplin tornado in May, and the record breaking heat-drought in the southern plains that summer.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#124 Postby Ntxw » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:21 pm

aggiecutter wrote:

We've been bandying about the whole Niña thing in the Texas Winter thread also. We've had several nice winter weather events in Austin during Niña winters. The last time it snowed here was during a Niña winter (2011).

I just went back and looked more closely at the graph that I posted earlier. Nearly all the years where there was a strong to moderately strong La Nina, the Texarkana area was the recipient of some sort of major winter weather event. 1973- major ice storm in January. 1989- Frigid cold in December. 2000- 2 major winter storms and a catastrophic ice-storm. 2011- on two occasions in January, Texarkana received 6" of snow, and a 4" snowfall the first week of February. As Ryan Maue posted yesterday, there is a correlation between strong to moderately strong La Ninas and severe winter weather.

I would take that even further and say there is also a correlation between extreme weather events and La Ninas. In 2011, there was the Dixie Alley Tornado outbreak in April, the devastating Joplin tornado in May, and the record breaking heat-drought in the southern plains that summer.

1972-1973 was a super El Nino. 1989-1990 was neutral. We do tend to get some powerful spells of cold if the dam does open in moderate to strong Ninas but overall the winters as a whole are above average. Hence we had a strong blast of cold early January (despite the warmest winter on record) just this past Nina.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#125 Postby Ntxw » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:25 pm

I'd like a cold October and November to be honest. I'm tired of these warm falls :lol:. For once can't we just have winter from October to March!
7 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#126 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:04 am

Really cooled down alot this week in the pacific. Warm pool north of hawaii were to strengthen and move northward, that would improve our chances of strong cold shots.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:00 am

Did some research last night since it seems quite likely we get a -1.0 - -1.5 ONI this winter. I looked at some of the analogs provided from the graphic on the previous page annnnnnd doesnt look good lol. As we expect, warm, dry, with some big cold shots. So there is hope.

Later i will look more into these years. Feel free to add more years if you want:

70-71
84-85
07-08
10-11

Any more?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#128 Postby JDawg512 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Do we have a good indication of how strong it will be? Normally I'm pretty good about following Pacific cycles but have been pretty busy lately plus I tend to drop off during Niña phases. Also is the decadal still positive? If it is that can dampen niña's strength and shorten it.

Forecast for this week continues to be summer-like with low end chances for showers but more likely not.

I'm more interested in how the weather will be during the last weekend of September.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#129 Postby Ntxw » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:14 pm

JDawg512 wrote:Do we have a good indication of how strong it will be? Normally I'm pretty good about following Pacific cycles but have been pretty busy lately plus I tend to drop off during Niña phases. Also is the decadal still positive? If it is that can dampen niña's strength and shorten it.

Forecast for this week continues to be summer-like with low end chances for showers but more likely not.

I'm more interested in how the weather will be during the last weekend of September.

JISAO PDO hasn't updated but NCDC has and it has gone negative. Correlation suggests JISAO will be negative as well so it will be the first break in the +PDO.

Of note, hurricane hits on the Atlantic side in the past has often been a precursor of oncoming drought period/years. I don't know if this period will follow that trend but I'd say odds are increasing during the next year or two.

Subsurface does not quite suggest a strong Nina, weak is most likely with moderate a low probability. Neutral has a distance chance as well. If we do end up a NIna then we will have had 2 back to back, hydrology interests should probably be on the lookout for falling water tables in the coming seasons.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#130 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:45 pm

By some luck, I pick up 1/4" of rain this evening out a nice stray storm.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#131 Postby Brent » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:49 am

GFS has a good front around day 9

Keep your fingers crossed

Looks like summer-like prevails til then... the rain chances this week have pretty much vanished.
1 likes   
#neversummer

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#132 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:04 am

Ntxw wrote:
JDawg512 wrote:Do we have a good indication of how strong it will be? Normally I'm pretty good about following Pacific cycles but have been pretty busy lately plus I tend to drop off during Niña phases. Also is the decadal still positive? If it is that can dampen niña's strength and shorten it.

JISAO PDO hasn't updated but NCDC has and it has gone negative. Correlation suggests JISAO will be negative as well so it will be the first break in the +PDO.

Of note, hurricane hits on the Atlantic side in the past has often been a precursor of oncoming drought period/years. I don't know if this period will follow that trend but I'd say odds are increasing during the next year or two.

Subsurface does not quite suggest a strong Nina, weak is most likely with moderate a low probability. Neutral has a distance chance as well. If we do end up a NIna then we will have had 2 back to back, hydrology interests should probably be on the lookout for falling water tables in the coming seasons.

You know I was just thinking about tropical systems hitting with drought occurring after earlier today. I think it was Hermine that was followed by the horrible drought in 2011 of course coupled with a strong La Niña.

I would assume that this negative period in the PDO is temporary considering that we haven't been in the positive phase for very long plus the oceans world wide continue to warm. What it means for ocean currents/wind patterns moving into mid century remains to be seen but for the time being, I expect this winter won't be my favorite. Heck this Autumn is not going to be a good one IMO.

Needless to say this Rain Miser is going to be very grumpy so heads up everyone.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#133 Postby Ntxw » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:18 am

Things do look bleak the next 7 days. After a cool start and cool August, Sept has reverted back to the high and dry feel. Still slighty below normal but will be erased next few days. After that the month will be coming to an end probably above normal as a whole.

Through 18 days of the month DFW has picked up a meager 0.07" of rain.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#134 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:21 am

Seeing signs of some increasing rain chances in the 8-14 day time period based on the latest operational models and ensembles. Looks like a slow-moving trough across the Rockies southward into Mexico. If we can get it to move far enough east to tap into the Gulf moisture, we could see some beneficial rainfall from this system.
3 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#135 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:21 am

Brent wrote:GFS has a good front around day 9

Keep your fingers crossed

Looks like summer-like prevails til then... the rain chances this week have pretty much vanished.

Day 9, October 1st?
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#136 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:29 am

Ntx, you're so right. I also was thinking that, not only did the MJO help kick these storms off, but the cooler pacific means less shear in the atlantic region.

This winter could be brutal.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#137 Postby Ntxw » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:13 am

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Ntx, you're so right. I also was thinking that, not only did the MJO help kick these storms off, but the cooler pacific means less shear in the atlantic region.

This winter could be brutal.

Yeah SST's are not the most preferred but as you mentioned as long as 1+2 remains cooler than 3.4 and 4 we could make it work. Another good thing is far too early and things could and will likely change before December.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#138 Postby Brent » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:21 pm

Not texas but our weather sucks so

Yet another Cat 5 in the atlantic maria has a pinhole eye :double:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#139 Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:18 pm

Ntxw wrote:
aggiecutter wrote:

1972-1973 was a super El Nino. 1989-1990 was neutral. We do tend to get some powerful spells of cold if the dam does open in moderate to strong Ninas but overall the winters as a whole are above average. Hence we had a strong blast of cold early January (despite the warmest winter on record) just this past Nina.

La Nina winters have produced cold blasts. February 1895, February 1899, December 1924, January/February 1951, December 1983, February 1989, February 1996, and February 2011 occurred in La Nina. There were big ice storms in 1924, 1951, and 1989. There big snowstorm in 1895. 1899 produced epic freeze.

La Nina is not the only factor. There is also North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO), Arctic Oscillation (AO), Pacific-North America (PNA), East Pacific Oscillation (EPO), and West Pacific Oscillation (WPO). I also look at Pacific Decadal Oscillation and Gulf of Alaska.
Last edited by Ptarmigan on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#140 Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:23 pm

Brent wrote:wasn't Christmas 1989 also a la nina? The last time Dallas got below zero?

It may not be that cold overall but there may be a lot more extremes on both ends

If we just get one solid winter storm it'd be an improvement over the last 2 winters.

I think the key is to keep them weak, the strong el nino doomed us, a weak la nina would be a lot better than something strong

according to this the infamous winter of 83-84 was also weak la nina :eek: the longest time Dallas has ever been below freezing

http://ggweather.com/enso/oni.htm

1989 was Neutral. The previous winter of 1988-1989 was La Nina.

The rest of the winter from January to February 1990 was mild.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”