Texas Fall 2017

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Fall 2017

#361 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:43 pm

gboudx wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
Brent wrote:
It's getting to the point where we don't even have other seasons :lol:

Oct is already 8.4F above normal. Lows have been the real killer. Barring some major volcanic eruption 2017 could be another top 5 warmest year, August was just a blip. The number of above normal months since 2010 is unreal

Unfortunately, warmer than normal is becoming the norm. IIRC, Fall didn't really start until about mid-November last year. Soon, the trees will start the process of dropping leaves. It's weird seeing the leaves turn colors and it's still warm. Colorful leaves evoke expectations of cool weather, not warm/hot.

Yeah, my crape myrtle tree leaves have started dropping leaves and turning colors. They were fully blooming a few weeks ago. They thrive in hot weather with regular rains, but I guess they are responding to longer nights and slightly "cooler" (less hot) temps, and have very few flowers now, dropping periodic red/orange leaves. Gives me hope for cooler weather. My sister n law just moved to Michigan from Katy. She said some of the trees are showing fall full blown foliage. I'm jealous! ;)
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#362 Postby TheProfessor » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:41 pm

We're getting rain from a tropical system for the third time this fall. We got a little bit more of a Trace from Harvey, about a half an inch of rain from Irma, and now we will likely finish somewhere between 1-2 inches of rain from Nate. It's been dry here otherwise, ended up breaking a streak of 20 days without rain on Thursday. If it weren't for the tropical systems this fall it would have been extremely dry(which actually isn't too unusual for Ohio as it is the driest part of the year until Late October.)
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#363 Postby Ntxw » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Ensembles show a nearly stationary raised (ridge) heights in our vicinty through third week of Oct.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#364 Postby Brent » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:43 pm

Maybe by Halloween it will cool off for more than a day
0 likes   
#neversummer

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#365 Postby bubba hotep » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:52 pm

Looks like we are going for the 4th straight hot October... I haven't even bothered to look at any analogs or teleconnections, since the last few years it has been, "what ever you think might happen, just pick the warmest option and that will be right"

Maybe we can pull a storm out tomorrow evening. NAM 3k is at least somewhat encouraging for those east of I35 in DFW.
0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#366 Postby Ntxw » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:49 am

Hot day, then dramatically cooler tonight.

In other news the weekly ENSO reading is a dead even 0C. Not enough for La Nina and has been warmer than prior weeks. ERRSTv5 is not as friendly to the Nina compared to ERSSTv4. We likely could end up neutral which opens up more analogs.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#367 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:15 am

Woo hoo... Marg extended southward to the northern burbs.

0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#368 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:24 am

TXTech WRF agress with SPC but the 3k NAM is bit more generous

0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#369 Postby gboudx » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:15 pm

I see the model says, "19 H". I assume that's 19 hour, but is that the equivalent of 7pm, or is it something else? Trying to get a read on when that is being forecasted.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#370 Postby Ntxw » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:20 pm

gboudx wrote:I see the model says, "19 H". I assume that's 19 hour, but is that the equivalent of 7pm, or is it something else? Trying to get a read on when that is being forecasted.

01 utc is 7pm our time

Correction 8pm (I am thinking winter mode after time change :lol: )
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#371 Postby gboudx » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Ok thanks. My youngest son has soccer practice at 6:30 so I'll be watching the radar, and trends.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#372 Postby Ntxw » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:48 pm

It may come through dry also but usually there is at least some in the eastern counties.

Tomorrow is going to feel wonderful. Give that AC a break.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#373 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:29 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
gboudx wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
Oct is already 8.4F above normal. Lows have been the real killer. Barring some major volcanic eruption 2017 could be another top 5 warmest year, August was just a blip. The number of above normal months since 2010 is unreal

Unfortunately, warmer than normal is becoming the norm. IIRC, Fall didn't really start until about mid-November last year. Soon, the trees will start the process of dropping leaves. It's weird seeing the leaves turn colors and it's still warm. Colorful leaves evoke expectations of cool weather, not warm/hot.

Yeah, my crape myrtle tree leaves have started dropping leaves and turning colors. They were fully blooming a few weeks ago. They thrive in hot weather with regular rains, but I guess they are responding to longer nights and slightly "cooler" (less hot) temps, and have very few flowers now, dropping periodic red/orange leaves. Gives me hope for cooler weather. My sister n law just moved to Michigan from Katy. She said some of the trees are showing fall full blown foliage. I'm jealous! ;)

Your Crape Myrtle is losing leaves right now because it has a fungus along with mine and many across the region. This particular type of fungus is prevalent after especially heavy rain events and is the result of Harvey. No worries as the fungus should be gone by this coming up Spring but what I would suggest you do is rake up the dropped leaves and get rid of them. That helps lessen its spread to trees that are not being affected by it.
1 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#374 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:14 pm

JDawg512 wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:
gboudx wrote:

Your Crape Myrtle is losing leaves right now because it has a fungus along with mine and many across the region. This particular type of fungus is prevalent after especially heavy rain events and is the result of Harvey. No worries as the fungus should be gone by this coming up Spring but what I would suggest you do is rake up the dropped leaves and get rid of them. That helps lessen its spread to trees that are not being affected by it.

Ok. Thanks for the tip!
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#375 Postby dhweather » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:17 pm

Need a freeze to kill ragweed. Some rain would be nice. :D
1 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#376 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:30 pm

dhweather wrote:Need a freeze to kill ragweed. Some rain would be nice. :D

I think the Harvey rains made the Ragweed explode down here. My nose and sinuses have been stuffed.
2 likes   

Tejas89
Category 1
Category 1

#377 Postby Tejas89 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:02 pm

Record hi at DFW today (96). woo-hoo.
1 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#378 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:19 pm

Cold front is moving into the western portions of DFW but, don't worry, the heat will be back next weekend :(
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#379 Postby Brent » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:03 pm

bubba hotep wrote:Cold front is moving into the western portions of DFW but, don't worry, the heat will be back next weekend :(

It never ends apparently. Thats all it ever is around here
1 likes   
#neversummer

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#380 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:18 pm

SPC coming strong with the 5% MCD but radar is looking rather bleak at the moment...

0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”