Texas Fall 2017

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Fall 2017

#81 Postby Ntxw » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:56 am

Models are still indicating some heat may return with well into the 90s. It is believable since the hurricanes to our east is signaling trough that way which translate to potential ridge here. Rainfall looks minimum
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#82 Postby CaptinCrunch » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:40 pm

We need rain here in NTX, it's been 2 weeks today since the last scattered showers acured. Forecast for next 10 days is dry and temps in lower 80s to mid 90s :cry:
0 likes   

hriverajr
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#83 Postby hriverajr » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Looks like 100's here in Del Rio by the end of the week.. interestingly with the prefrontal trough recently I experienced a microburst first hand.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#84 Postby Cpv17 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:10 pm

We had 25" from Harvey here and most of that is already gone. Crazy to say this, but we could actually use an inch of rain here.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#85 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:56 pm

We had 7.5 inches of rain a couple weeks ago. Been bone dry since then. Have cracks in the soil where it was muddy and saturated. I turned my sprinklers on this morning. So ironic!
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#86 Postby Ntxw » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:25 am

Between now and Wednesday will still feel quite nice with cool mornings and pleasant afternoons. Late week though summer makes a brief return.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#87 Postby Tireman4 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:08 pm

Ntxw wrote:Between now and Wednesday will still feel quite nice with cool mornings and pleasant afternoons. Late week though summer makes a brief return.

Are you seeing another front long range Ntxw?
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#88 Postby Brent » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:21 pm

I've been pretty much obsessed with Irma(Atlantic hurricanes when they actually happen are like my addiction) so haven't been paying much attention to our forecast but hopefully the return of summer is short-lived. :grr:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#89 Postby Ntxw » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:57 pm

Tireman4 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Between now and Wednesday will still feel quite nice with cool mornings and pleasant afternoons. Late week though summer makes a brief return.

Are you seeing another front long range Ntxw?

Unfortunately at this time I do not see anything through the next 2 weeks. Just mostly above normal past midweek. Maybe the last week of Sept but no good signal yet.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#90 Postby Brent » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:21 am

man where did fall go? Nonstop heat on the GFS/Euro...

100 isn't impossible, CBS 11 had 99 next weekend :roll:
0 likes   
#neversummer

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#91 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:57 am

The weather pattern over the next 7 days looks brutal. Hot and dry. Hopeful for a pattern change by the end of the month.
0 likes   

DonWrk
Category 1
Category 1

#92 Postby DonWrk » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:17 am

Crazy to be saying we need some rain, but we do "need some rain!" Ground has been bone dry and only getting worse.

GFS has been showing a good system coming down for the past few runs now around the 20th. I'm ready.
0 likes   

BrokenGlassRepublicn
Category 1
Category 1

#93 Postby BrokenGlassRepublicn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:16 am

South Texas Storms wrote:The weather pattern over the next 7 days looks brutal. Hot and dry. Hopeful for a pattern change by the end of the month.

I'll gladly trade a below normal August for an above normal September. In NoTx the last 30 days of weather has been downright glorious. A few hot days, but then again, it's nice to have the occasional excuse to go to the pool.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#94 Postby Ntxw » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:24 am

DFW has not had a below normal September since 2009. Past couple of years have been near record warm for this month.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#95 Postby Ntxw » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Latest models today are suggesting past the ridging period (seems fairly transient in nature) perhaps a trof will move out from the west/northwest thus late month cold front? Long way out though. Still warm in the mid range.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#96 Postby ravyrn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:29 pm

Chiming in from Jacksonville, TX. Guys, I may have found our very own version of Punxsutawney Phil!!! My mom has a birdhouse on her front porch over her bedroom window. It's worth noting that this is southward facing and is located just outside of Maydelle.

Well, last Fall, a flying squirrel took up residence in the center birdhouse above her bedroom window and nested there during this past Fall, Winter, and Spring. Throughout the night during this time, she'd always hear him coming and going, and sometimes making "hard landings" on the wall. However, he disappeared during the warm Summer months and was no longer seen or heard.

I was worried he had gotten eaten or passed away. However, just around noon today, my mom sent me a text message with this photo. It seems the birdhouse must've gotten too warm for him during the Summer, but our little flying squirrel has returned to his Winter abode!

They have Punxsutawney Phil in Pennsylvania. What shall we name this lil guy who resides in Maydelle, TX?

I'm going to try to make him our East Texan version of Punxsutawney Phil! Punxsutawney Phil lets the Northeast know if winter is over or will continue for six weeks. This squirrel can be a similar mascot for us in East Texas, in regards to the arrival and departure of Summer --- since he departed his home once Summer arrived and returned once the days became cooler.
1 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#97 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:45 am

We have had acorns falling for at least a week now. Seems early(?). Acorns usually start dropping around here in October. Maybe the trees can sense the cooler weather and change of seasons coming(?).
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#98 Postby gboudx » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:18 am

ravyrn wrote:They have Punxsutawney Phil in Pennsylvania. What shall we name this lil guy who resides in Maydelle, TX?

Since we don't know if it's a boy or girl, we need an androgynous name. How about Maydelle Morgan? Or Maydelle Manning?
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#99 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:39 pm

I'm not liking the weather pattern for the next week. Hot and dry. Bring on the cooler temps and rain!
1 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#100 Postby JDawg512 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:41 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:We have had acorns falling for at least a week now. Seems early(?). Acorns usually start dropping around here in October. Maybe the trees can sense the cooler weather and change of seasons coming(?).

I'm attributing it to the rainfall over the last couple of years. Oaks tend to produce acorns bi-yearly so some years you may not see as many while others theres an abundance. Overall they will produce a ton during wetter periods and less during drier. For example the Live Oak in my front yard had a massive amount of acorns this past fall. It won't be producing as many this year but I'm still expecting a fairly decent amount. My Red Oak didn't produce a lot last year but I can already see it covered with acorns this year.

I have seen the squirrels around my yard out foraging and burying their stash already.
1 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”