Texas Summer 2018

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Haris
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Summer 2018

#721 Postby Haris » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:26 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:It got up to 97 at my house today. They predicted a high of 99.

The Saharan Dust/haze might have been a blessing in disguise, lowering temps a couple degrees.

Or, could be the moderating effect of green vegetation from the multi-inch rain 1 to 2 weeks ago, which will dry up fast in these kinds of temps with no rain. :roll:

Or could be both. Yeah, haven't heard much from the warm-mongerers! :sun:

IMO , correct me if I am wrong experts but haze should not do too much of an impact on temps.

I think the recent rains might be keeping it a tad cooler
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#722 Postby Brent » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:51 pm

Ntxw wrote:Where are all the warm mongers (minus the heatmiser) posts?! They love to boast how much they enjoy warmth in winter but you don't see them sunbathing in this heat :lol:...

Probably more like leaving to the beaches somewhere else :lol:.

Faux-warm mongers, rather they like pleasant temperatures (when it's cold) rather. :layout:

yeah the lack of posts here in the summer is sure interesting... I mean its hot way more than its cold here... :wink:
0 likes   
#neversummer

FunNestlé
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#723 Postby FunNestlé » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:06 am

Ntxw wrote:Where are all the warm mongers (minus the heatmiser) posts?! They love to boast how much they enjoy warmth in winter but you don't see them sunbathing in this heat :lol:...

Faux-warm mongers, rather they like pleasant temperatures (when it's cold) rather. :layout:

weatherdude1108 wrote:It got up to 97 at my house today. They predicted a high of 99.

The Saharan Dust/haze might have been a blessing in disguise, lowering temps a couple degrees.

Or, could be the moderating effect of green vegetation from the multi-inch rain 1 to 2 weeks ago, which will dry up fast in these kinds of temps with no rain. :roll:

And as I've mentioned in previous pages...the geography that allows for the cold winter temps in Texas that you cold lovers oh so desire is also responsible for these periodic dry spells that you all are groaning about. The subtropical high of Mexico ensures that you'll have to sacrifice one desire for another. So if you want reliably cool, wet summers, you'll need the ridge to take a farther north position, to allow easterly flow on the underside like we saw in mid June, and early July...but that would also mean greater dominance of this ridge outside of summer, ending the days of heavy spring rains, and cold, snowy winters.

I personally wouldn't mind that: spring rains come with too much tornado risk, and I absolutely detest freezing cold and snow. But I respect any differences in preferences you all have.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#724 Postby Brent » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:13 am

FunNestlé wrote:

And as I've mentioned in previous pages...the geography that allows for the cold winter temps in Texas that you cold lovers oh so desire is also responsible for these periodic dry spells that you all are groaning about. The subtropical high of Mexico ensures that you'll have to sacrifice one desire for another. So if you want reliably cool, wet summers, you'll need the ridge to take a farther north position, to allow easterly flow on the underside like we saw in mid June, and early July...but that would also mean greater dominance of this ridge outside of summer, ending the days of heavy spring rains, and cold, snowy winters.

I personally wouldn't mind that: spring rains come with too much tornado risk, and I absolutely detest freezing cold and snow. But I respect any differences in preferences you all have.

I must have missed these in Dallas where we're lucky to get a dusting every year that melts within an hour...
0 likes   
#neversummer

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#725 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:48 am

Well, I was hoping to reverse the trend. Seems to not be working. Hmmm.

After 105, all feels the same. Electric grid gonna take a hit. But, when this death ridge streak ends and the cooler weather and rains come back, it will be that much better.;)

1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

FunNestlé
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#726 Postby FunNestlé » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:56 am

This dry streak is extending down even through Mexico. Checked the forecasts for Tampico, Veracruz, Villahermosa, Cancun, etc: it's literally nothing but sunshine forecasted. Parts of the Yucatan have a row of 100F temps coming up.

But as before, nothing is set in stone. Perhaps a disturbance of sorts can slip through. Southern/Southeastern Texas doesn't even end up under the heights much. And I've seen areas of the country get forecasted with rain even when smack dab under the strongest heights.
2 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#727 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:04 am

4 words can sum up this summer for up here...brown, dead and hot.
0 likes   
#neversummer

FunNestlé
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#728 Postby FunNestlé » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:05 am

Brent wrote:I must have missed these in Dallas where we're lucky to get a dusting every year that melts within an hour...

Just be glad that Dallas even has chances for freezing winter temps at its latitude, topless of experiencing snow flurries. But even that would have to be sacrificed in order to allow solid cool wet summers in Dallas.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#729 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:08 am

FunNestlé wrote:
Brent wrote:I must have missed these in Dallas where we're lucky to get a dusting every year that melts within an hour...

Just be glad that Dallas even has chances for freezing winter temps at its latitude, topless of experiencing snow flurries. But even that would have to be sacrificed in order to allow solid cool wet summers in Dallas.

Where is your location FunNestle? Didn't see on the user profile. Just curious. You may be leaving it out for a reason. I did at first, then people asked me where I was so they could get an idea of the weather where I was.

Some of us are from the central Texas area; some from the north Texas area; some from the east Texas area, etc.

I think I've seen some users on the Texas thread post from Puerto Rico and like, Florida. :lol:

Anyway, you have a lot of interesting, thoughtful posts that started showing up within the last week I noticed. I feel like I am in atmospheric science class again. :D
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#730 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:01 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
FunNestlé wrote:

Where is your location FunNestle? Didn't see on the user profile. Just curious. You may be leaving it out for a reason. I did at first, then people asked me where I was so they could get an idea of the weather where I was.

Some of us are from the central Texas area; some from the north Texas area; some from the east Texas area, etc.

I think I've seen some users on the Texas thread post from Puerto Rico and like, Florida. :lol:

Anyway, you have a lot of interesting, thoughtful posts that started showing up within the last week I noticed. I feel like I am in atmospheric science class again. :D

FunNestle definitely knows his stuff. A lot of what he talks about I also studied in collage, glad to see new forumers.
2 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#731 Postby CaptinCrunch » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:24 pm

:sun: 100° Day Summary for Dallas/Fort Worth :sun:

Most in a calendar year: 71 (2011)
Most consecutive: 42 (Jun 23 - Aug 3, 1980)
Most in a month: 31 (Jul 1980)

Top 3 Hottest Summers *(100+)

2011 *(71)
1980 *(69)
1998 *(56)

Top 4 Hottest Temps

113 June 26th, 27th 1980
112 Aug 18th 1909
111 Sept 4th 2000
110 Aug 2nd 2011, July 12th 1998

The hottest temperature ever in Texas was 120 degrees, recorded in Seymour in August 1936 and Monahans in June 1994.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#732 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:36 pm

DFW and Houston may see something in the next two weeks. Meanwhile, the all-too-familiar force field/donut hole dome death envelopes Central and south Texas, evaporating anything and everything in its field of influence. Shocker.
:roll:

When do the models starting showing signs of hope?

Wait, I know better than to ask that.

Temps do seem a little "cooler" towards the end of the run (90s vs 100s, higher 100s farther north in OK).

My boss said it should start to cool off in the next 4.5 months. :lol:

0 likes   

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

#733 Postby TheAustinMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:13 pm

Not a "cloud" in the sky here in Austin, but with the Saharan dust the sky is looking like a pane of frosted glass this afternoon. Here's a comparison of GOES-16 geocolor satellite imagery from July 1 (on the left) to today (on the right) from the same time, really showing how much of an impact particulates are having on skies across the state. Air quality conditions.

950 kB. Source: RAMMB/CIRA SLIDER.
0 likes   
ImageImageImage
- Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#734 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Better

2 likes   

FunNestlé
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#735 Postby FunNestlé » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:58 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:DFW and Houston may see something in the next two weeks. Meanwhile, the all-too-familiar force field/donut hole dome death envelopes Central and south Texas, evaporating anything and everything in its field of influence. Shocker.
:roll:

Just what I was about to get into. Check out the runs on the GFS, you literally see the ridge expand itself into Texas around this coming Thurs-Sat to bring the hot temps, all in response to an unusually deep upper trough (the base is nearly at Northern Florida). Then, getting later into the month, and into early August, the subsequent upper troughs fail in diving farther south before the eject northeast, allowing the ridge to finally ride up north, opening the door for Gulf rains in Texas.
2 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#736 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Indeed the heat here is starting to be noticed in outlets elsewhere. Hazy and desert-like. Forecast looks most impressive heatwave since 2012 in terms of strength and duration.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

FunNestlé
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#737 Postby FunNestlé » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Just hope that the coming upper trough in the Great Lakes fails in digging far south. That way, when it ejects, it can take this ridge out of Texas.

Otherwise, prepare for the heat. :sun:
2 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#738 Postby TheProfessor » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:42 pm

It's going to be petty miserable this week. But maybe something could throw a wrench in the forecasts early next week. Fingers crossed.
1 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#739 Postby Haris » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:20 pm

i dont like complaining at all and I'm grateful for everything , dont worry LOL , but each day feels like 1 year. WHEN WILL RAIN COME!?!? I want to at least "track" something. Nothing is showing up in the models~ :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr:
1 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#740 Postby Haris » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:28 pm

Ya know, the EPS weeklie control shows NO RAIN THRU EARLY SEPTEMBER!!!!!!!!

AHHHHH! LOL. K . return to regular programming
1 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”