Texas Summer 2018

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Summer 2018

#641 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:32 pm

Haris wrote:Light rain this morning in W AUstin ! Rain cooled 75F earlier...

Storms around Bryan/CS. May make a run for the ATX metro around 3PM :?:

We got just over a half inch this morning. My total since July 4th is 3.5 inches. Not bad for July! :)
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#642 Postby Haris » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Monday :D :D :D
2 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#643 Postby Clearcloudz » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:01 am

Isolated flooding possible today in Southeast Texas Today along with the heavy and lightning.

1 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#644 Postby Haris » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:59 am

Flash Flooding possible from Austin points S and E
2 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#645 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:24 pm

Having another daily tropical thundershower. :rain: I'm going to miss this when it ends later this week.
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#646 Postby lrak » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:51 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:Having another daily tropical thundershower. :rain: I'm going to miss this when it ends later this week.

me too prepare for the mosquitoes...ACK...WOT...does anybody know when NEXRAD will be replaced?
1 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#647 Postby lrak » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:34 pm

Also the area south of SW Louisiana over the Gulf has peaked my interest for maybe some central TX maybe S. TX and the shear tendency has fallen and the 850 vorticity has been steady and moving west. This has been a great change from past beginnings of summer. Love liquid gold instead of you know what I'm not saying it because it'll jinx us. :D Something is definitely different this season even the waves are bouncer or at least not as compressed I don't know how to explain it. Okay since no one is on this board I'll try to explain it. In the past you could not mash your board into the wave because of the weakness of the wave due to H Pressure or H pressure just dominating everything, now you can mash and gain speed no problem. So I think the ocean is not being subjected to relentless you know what. In those days I pushed my boy into waves to pass the summer until fall begins.
3 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#648 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:25 pm

We had a second heavy shower today. Another 1.5 inches today; 4.25 inches since the 4th! Beautiful! Backyard is a pond most areas now. Living in the rainforest.lol
1 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#649 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:28 am

Another wild tropical downpour, right after I got to work. Pouring at the office. People getting in late, soaking wet, talking about how heavy it was in South Austin (for those commuting from South Austin). 1.36 in ches of rain at Camp Mabry in one hour. :double:

Flood Advisory
National Weather Service Austin/San Antonio TX
807 AM CDT MON JUL 9 2018

TXC453-091500-
/O.NEW.KEWX.FA.Y.0043.180709T1307Z-180709T1500Z/
/00000.N.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
Travis TX-
807 AM CDT MON JUL 9 2018

The National Weather Service in Austin San Antonio has issued a

* Urban and Small Stream Flood Advisory for...
Travis County in south central Texas...

* Until 1000 AM CDT

* At 805 AM CDT, Doppler radar indicated heavy rain due to
thunderstorms across much of Travis County. 1.36 inches of rain
was reported at Austin Camp Mabry in one hour.
Urban and small
stream flooding is possible within the advisory area.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Austin, Cedar Park, Pflugerville, Elgin, Tanglewood Forest, Austin
Bergstrom Int Airport, Windemere, Anderson Mill, Leander, Lakeway,
Manor, Lago Vista, Bee Cave, West Lake Hills, Hudson Bend, The
Hills, Rollingwood, Mustang Ridge, Bear Creek and Barton Creek.
1 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#650 Postby Haris » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:33 am

With this mornings slow band of heavy rain, we are now over 4" at Central Austin for the month of July!!!!!! :D
0 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#651 Postby Haris » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:52 am

1 likes   

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#652 Postby Cerlin » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:07 pm

Frisco is getting some nice rain right now and it looks like storms are going to hit DFW for a little bit, which is super nice!
0 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#653 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:48 pm

I'm cherishing what's going on now, enjoying the moment. :rain: :rain: :lightning: :rain: :rain:

I figured the wet and relative cool couldn't last too much longer, and the July/August doldrums would come back. Been a great first week of July down here in my area! Oh how I wish the rest of summer we'd get an inch of rain (or so) every couple of days.

Bob Rose:

Monday, July 9, 2018 2:35 PM
A drier and warmer weather pattern is forecast to begin taking shape Tuesday as the very moist Gulf flow starts to decrease. Forecast solutions indicate the large ridge of high pressure which shifted north to the Plains states last week will begin expanding south into Texas on Tuesday. However, the ridge center, or the most stable area of the broad high pressure ridge, is forecast to remain northeast of Texas over the middle Mississippi Valley. Because of this, the atmosphere across Texas is not forecast to dry out entirely. Lingering tropical moisture is forecast to cause the development of a few scattered afternoon rain showers and isolated thunderstorms, mainly for areas along and east of Interstate 35. The probability for rain will be near 20 percent. Dry conditions are forecast across the Hill Country. With a partly cloudy sky, Tuesday's temperature is predicted to warm to the low and middle 90s.

Very similar weather conditions are predicted across the region Wednesday through Sunday as the center of the high pressure ridge camps out over the Tennessee Valley region. Our weather will be partly cloudy to mostly sunny with just a slight chance for a few afternoon rain showers. High temperatures will be in the middle 90s Tuesday through Friday, rising to the upper 90s this weekend.

Mostly sunny, dry and hot weather is forecast all of next week as the high pressure ridge weakens over the eastern US and becomes established over the western and southwestern US. With the ridge setting up to our west, the moist flow off the Gulf of Mexico will likely diminish along with that slight chance for rain. High temperatures the first half of next week are forecast to be in the upper 90s. Readings could move toward the century mark the second half of next week as a more typical mid-July pattern sets up across Central Texas.

https://www.lcra.org/water/river-and-we ... ather.aspx
0 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#654 Postby Haris » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:37 pm

6" now near N Lamar in Austin ! (July totals)
1 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#655 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:12 pm

Beautiful rain event in SA over the past week. Over 4 inches at my parents house. We're thankful!

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end, and that means the summer doldrums will be returning soon...
2 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#656 Postby Haris » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:54 pm

To put it in perspective , last July , only .23” of rain fell at Austin . 4+ this month . This month is typically VERY DRY around here ! This is rare stuff!

Enjoy the rain Central TX , cuz we are about to enter another dry spell ! Where is our local rain miser Jdawg at lately ? He’s been silent
2 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#657 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 pm

Haris wrote:To put it in perspective , last July , only .23” of rain fell at Austin . 4+ this month . This month is typically VERY DRY around here ! This is rare stuff!

Enjoy the rain Central TX , cuz we are about to enter another dry spell ! Where is our local rain miser Jdawg at lately ? He’s been silent
I was wondering the exact same thing(??). JDawg has been very silent considering all the news!
0 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#658 Postby Haris » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:45 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
Haris wrote:To put it in perspective , last July , only .23” of rain fell at Austin . 4+ this month . This month is typically VERY DRY around here ! This is rare stuff!

I was wondering the exact same thing(??). JDawg has been very silent considering all the news!

I hope he is doing fine ... He always posts when it rains . Must be very busy I guess. :)
2 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#659 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:55 am

South Texas Storms wrote:Beautiful rain event in SA over the past week. Over 4 inches at my parents house. We're thankful!

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end, and that means the summer doldrums will be returning soon...

Great news about your parents! My parents also reported a nice amount. Didn't get an amount yet, but according to the https://water.weather.gov/precip/ site, looks like their house was in the 3-4-inch range. :D

But I'm bummed about the doldrums returning again. :cry: We need to to trap this precious July water in the ground over the next couple months.

But, if I get down about the hot and dry, I have my videos I can refer to of the tropical rains I recorded, as it was happening in early July. :wink: :rain: :lightning: :rain: :rain:
2 likes   

FunNestlé
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#660 Postby FunNestlé » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:47 pm

Texas, given its position in the subtropics on an "eastern coast," should actually be having a strong summer wet seasons: in totals, or at least in relativity. The subtropical ridge migrates, and in subtropical climates, this should be far north enough such as to allow "monsoon" rains in the summer, along with a drier season during winter. So these recent rains are actually an indicator of what the "true summer pattern" should be like over the state given the "ideal continent principle", especially for Southern Texas.

But the peculiarities in North America's geography are such that expected weather patterns often don't stick, and variate quite frequently relative to other continents of Earth, whether day-to-day, week-to-week, or year-to-year. Specifically, the combination of a long N-S oriented mountain chain (Rockies) combined with the lack of geographic barrier between the Arctic and the Rockies (Great Plains) causes the formation of a mean ridge in the West, and a mean trough in the East. This is most pronounced in winter, which causes freezes and cold snaps down to the Gulf Coast far colder than what the latitude should be experiencing. But the effects carry over to summer as well: that mean trough in the Eastern US tends to have the effect of "delaying" the ridge migration, or shunting it farther southwest (as well as shunting the Bermuda High farther east). Consequently, Texas and the Southwest end up drier in the summer than they otherwise would be, as the easterly atmospheric flow off the Gulf is precluded: the SE US/Florida still gets summer rain, but from deeper mid-latitude troughs combined with sea-breeze, not from an actual tropical flow.

Basically, North America's peculiar geography enforces gradients in longitude that otherwise would go by latitude, causing Texas to end up drier in the summer than it should be. This article is a bit old, but it describes the processes behind summer dryness in areas of Texas, confirming the point:
https://www.twdb.texas.gov/publications ... 53/R53.pdf
Last edited by FunNestlé on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”