Texas Summer 2018

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Texas Summer 2018

#1341 Postby starsfan65 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:14 pm

TheProfessor wrote:Wow invest in the Atlantic, maybe something to watch.

Yep there is a wave brewing in the Atlantic.
0 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1342 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:40 am

starsfan65 wrote:Do ya'll have any idea when the Farmer's Almanac comes out?

I think it comes out sometime in September. I looked back at last years winter thread and I posted their outlooks around the first half of Sept.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1343 Postby Brent » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:24 pm

12z Euro not much rain but does have mid 60s in Dallas next week!!! Fall watch! :lol: That would not be far off from record lows if it verified
Last edited by Brent on Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 likes   
#neversummer

cctxhurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#1344 Postby cctxhurricanewatcher » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Brent wrote:12z Euro not much rain but does have mid 60s in Dallas next week!!! Fall watch! :lol: That would not far off from record lows if it verified

It’s model outputs like that which should make the likes of Wxman57 think about spending the fall and winter near the Kilauea lava flow zone. Lol.
2 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1345 Postby gpsnowman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:11 pm

Brent wrote:12z Euro not much rain but does have mid 60s in Dallas next week!!! Fall watch! :lol: That would not far off from record lows if it verified

Well, if no rain then probably a very dry, comfortable mid 60's. I can live with that. Fall watch indeed.
2 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1346 Postby Brent » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:09 pm

gpsnowman wrote:

Well, if no rain then probably a very dry, comfortable mid 60's. I can live with that. Fall watch indeed.

yeah its looking like a dry and cooler mid-late week next week... its just a question of how cool. Possible fall preview for sure
0 likes   
#neversummer

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1347 Postby weatherdude1108 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:46 am

School started yesterday (too early IMO). Poor elementary kids will be sweltering at recess, unless they do recess first thing in the morning.SMH

0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1348 Postby Ntxw » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:17 am

DFW's average low temp today drops from 76 to 75. We have begun the climo journey to winter after spending the past 6-7 months rising from January :D. It only goes down from here!

Small victories.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1349 Postby weatherdude1108 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:06 am

Ntxw wrote:DFW's average low temp today drops from 76 to 75. We have begun the climo journey to winter after spending the past 6-7 months rising from January :D. It only goes down from here!

Small victories.

I can't tell with the high temperatures here just yet, but I can see the small victories in the low temperatures going from 76 to 78, then to 74 by the end of our 7-day forecast, and that is without rain-cooled influences. :wink:
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1350 Postby TheProfessor » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:46 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:School started yesterday (too early IMO). Poor elementary kids will be sweltering at recess, unless they do recess first thing in the morning.SMH

I remember there was a max and min temperature for recess when I was a kid, but I don't remember what it was.
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1351 Postby weatherdude1108 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:18 pm

TheProfessor wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:School started yesterday (too early IMO). Poor elementary kids will be sweltering at recess, unless they do recess first thing in the morning.SMH

I remember there was a max and min temperature for recess when I was a kid, but I don't remember what it was.

Yeah, I think I remember there was a cutoff when we went in, but I don't remember either.lol
I remember going in sometimes because of lightning/thunder from storms headed our way. They lined everybody up and we headed inside.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1352 Postby weatherdude1108 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:55 pm

I just left a paragraph in from Bob Rose, since the rest of it was just "play...repeat..."

The weather guy this morning said that on this day last year, Harvey formed out in the Atlantic, just to the west of an area of disturbed weather there currently, but this year, the disturbed area is not expected to develop as it encounters harsh conditions and shear. Looking forward to rain and cooler temps. I'm so OVER this Summer.

Forecast solutions call for the center of the high pressure ridge to shift from Texas northeast to the Tennessee and Ohio Valley regions the week of August 27th. Should this change take place as forecast, it would place Texas under a moist easterly flow off the Gulf of Mexico. This should help moderate the temperature down a few degrees while opening up the possibility for some isolated to scattered rain showers and thunderstorms.

The next 6-8 weeks are typically the most active part of the Atlantic hurricane season. Friday's analysis shows conditions across the tropical Atlantic overall remain unfavorable for tropical development.

National Hurricane Center forecasters are monitoring an area of clouds and disorganized showers and thunderstorms associated with a tropical wave located a few hundred miles east-southeast of the Windward Islands. Environmental conditions are becoming less conducive, and development of this system is not expected. The area of disturbed weather is moving westward at about 15 mph and is forecast to move through the Windward Islands on Saturday, possibly bringing locally heavy rainfall to portions of the Lesser Antilles during the next couple of days. NHC forecasters are giving this system a zero chance for tropical development over the next 5 days. This system poses no threat to the Gulf of Mexico at this time.

https://www.lcra.org/water/river-and-we ... ather.aspx
1 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1353 Postby South Texas Storms » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:45 am

The weather pattern over the next week looks pretty bad. Little to no rain and still pretty hot. El Nino needs to get going and fall needs to hurry up and get here!
2 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1354 Postby Cpv17 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:28 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:The weather pattern over the next week looks pretty bad. Little to no rain and still pretty hot. El Nino needs to get going and fall needs to hurry up and get here!

I agree. Yesterday srain posted on another board that he thinks rain chances will be good across SE TX beginning Sunday and lasting for a while. I really don’t see where he’s getting that from though. I don’t see any reason at the present time to be optimistic about rainfall.
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1355 Postby bubba hotep » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:05 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:The weather pattern over the next week looks pretty bad. Little to no rain and still pretty hot. El Nino needs to get going and fall needs to hurry up and get here!

Yep, it looks like the models jumped the gun on a significant pattern shift. Dry and warm is back in full force!
0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1356 Postby Brent » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:07 pm

bubba hotep wrote:

Yep, it looks like the models jumped the gun on a significant pattern shift. Dry and warm is back in full force!

Boo

Though part of me knew it was too early for fall

Maybe in a month
0 likes   
#neversummer

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#1357 Postby Cerlin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:38 pm

Pretty hefty storm in North Dallas/Carrollton area right now. Got some serious rain and lightning.
1 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1358 Postby Brent » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:46 pm

Um where did all this rain come from :double:
2 likes   
#neversummer

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1359 Postby gboudx » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:16 pm

Brent wrote:Um where did all this rain come from :double:

My son had a soccer game in north Plano at Russell Creek. It was hot, but I started noticing clouds just to the SE building and getting darker. Told another Dad that I had a bad feeling about it because lightning sends everyone off the fields and delays the game. With 6 mins to go in 1st half, lightning horns went off. Never did get to play again. This was around 5:45. So it came from Plano. :D
1 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1360 Postby Haris » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:53 pm

Feed *overall* pretty quiet for such a stormy evening in Dallas . Numerous flood advisory’s and severe warnings for the city of Dallas !
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”