Texas Summer 2018

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Summer 2018

#681 Postby Brent » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:06 pm

moving into downtown Dallas right at rush hour :lol:
0 likes   
#neversummer

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#682 Postby CaptinCrunch » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:08 pm

60% of Dallas County is getting dumped on currently :cry: Hope it rained at the house, I'm already looking at having to replace grass this Fall on the front lawn due to the drought.
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#683 Postby gboudx » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:41 pm

Nice, persistent rain ongoing. I wish Mother Nature had given me a heads-up on this yesterday. Wouldn’t have ran my sprinklers last night. 1.35” so far.
2 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#684 Postby Brent » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:29 pm

gboudx wrote:Nice, persistent rain ongoing. I wish Mother Nature had given me a heads-up on this yesterday. Wouldn’t have ran my sprinklers last night. 1.35” so far.

surprised its still raining, so nice..

last 4 days Nevada 9 inches DFW 0.11" :eek:
0 likes   
#neversummer

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#685 Postby weatherdude1108 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:30 am

I think I'll go hibernate now.

0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#686 Postby Ntxw » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:36 am

:uarrow: The next 4 weeks, climo, is the hottest stretch of Summer. The summit of summer.

Either it is hot or it is really hot. That is all there is to this season.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#687 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:36 am

Same ol, same ol for the past few days. Heavy rain all around the area and not a drop at the house. Ive never seen such nice looking storms die into nothing as fast as all of these have the past week.
0 likes   
#neversummer

FunNestlé
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#688 Postby FunNestlé » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:39 am

weatherdude1108 wrote:I think I'll go hibernate now.

Eh, seasonal forecasts are a crapshoot, especially for summer in low-latitude areas like Texas that don't experience much synoptic scale events. The CFS called for a hotter, drier June and July back in May, and look how that turned out.

Plus, Texas is WAY overdue for a solid cool, rainy summer.
0 likes   

FunNestlé
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#689 Postby FunNestlé » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:41 am

Ntxw wrote:The next 4 weeks, climo, is the hottest stretch of Summer. The summit of summer.

Eh, seasonal forecasts are a crapshoot, especially for summer in low-latitude areas like Texas that don't experience much synoptic scale events. The CFS called for a hotter, drier June and July back in May, and look how that turned out.

0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#690 Postby Ntxw » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:50 am

FunNestlé wrote:

Ntxw wrote:The next 4 weeks, climo, is the hottest stretch of Summer. The summit of summer.

DFW airport for both June and so far in July has been hotter and drier than normal.

These locally garden variety summer shower are pleasant and can cool things off in the evenings. But it is not widespread enough to be a deterrent to drought in which most of North Texas is under.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#691 Postby weatherdude1108 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:28 am

Ntxw wrote:
FunNestlé wrote:

DFW airport for both June and so far in July has been hotter and drier than normal.

These locally garden variety summer shower are pleasant and can cool things off in the evenings. But it is not widespread enough to be a deterrent to drought in which most of North Texas is under.

Yeah, I can't remember, is it the last week of July, 1st two weeks of August, or last two weeks of July, first week of August that are the climo hottest? Summer Solstice is June 21st (highest sun angle), but there is a lag time of a couple months for the temperatures to respond on land, longer in the oceans.

Would be nice to keep that rainy stretch going from early July in Central and southern Texas. Wishful thinking. ;)

Which area of the state do you live in FunNestlé?
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#692 Postby aggiecutter » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:49 am

JB says: summer cancel:

2 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#693 Postby Haris » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:42 pm

I dont know what JB is saying and that looks like a very minor cool down for us... Remember are averages this time of year are in the UPPER 90s...

Also , regardless , all computer modeling data shows the death ridge parked over Central TX thru the next couple weeks!

Fire hose of moisture across the SE! Over 6" per GFS in ATL!

SOOO JEALOUS!!!! EPS weeklies give Austin ONE INCH thru AUG 28TH!
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

FunNestlé
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#694 Postby FunNestlé » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Yep, as you can see, whenever a "proper" summer pattern takes form, where the jet stream is solidly locked away far north where it belongs, Texas and the SW gets ample summer monsoon rains. But when the jetstream starts digging down deep enough in the Midwest/Northeast, taking the mid-latitude pattern into summer, Texas starts to dry out, the SE gets rain from non-tropical disturbances, and the SW monsoon is locked away in Mexico and the mountains. Hence why "southerly/southwesterly" flow matters more than it should, as well as all the talk of the Atlantic "not helping Texas." Chalk it up to North American geography when it comes to these deep diving troughs: same reason why winter gets colder east of the Rockies than it is supposed to.

I'm speaking more for Southern Texas when I describe the summer trends, however. Places like Brownsville and Corpus are MUCH more arid than they are supposed to be, given their position right on the coast. But shift the continent farther south in latitude, or change the geography, and Texas would probably be better for summer rainfall than the entire SE outside of Florida.
0 likes   

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#695 Postby aggiecutter » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:06 pm

Haris wrote:Image

I dont know what JB is saying and that looks like a very minor cool down for us... Remember are averages this time of year are in the UPPER 90s...

Also , regardless , all computer modeling data shows the death ridge parked over Central TX thru the next couple weeks!

I see no such death ridge over central Texas on the 12z GFS. The next 10 days are basically transient between troughs and ridges. A major trough becomes established in the eastern half of the country by the end of the month:

12Z GFS 500mb anomalies:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 71312&fh=6
0 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#696 Postby Haris » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:42 pm

aggiecutter wrote:
I see no such death ridge over central Texas on the 12z GFS. The next 10 days are basically transient between troughs and ridges. A major trough becomes established in the eastern half of the country by the end of the month:

12Z GFS 500mb anomalies:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 71312&fh=6[/quote]

i meant sarcastically. And while not technically , the weather over TX will be as if we had a huge ridge over us... All the rain is around us.
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#697 Postby South Texas Storms » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:50 pm

The Euro is UGLY for all of TX next week. Widespread high temperatures near or above 100F for much of the state. North TX approaches 110F by late next week. Brutal.
0 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#698 Postby Haris » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:21 pm

forget rain. a way THICKER plume of dust compared to last time is coming to TX!
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#699 Postby weatherdude1108 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:39 pm

aggiecutter wrote:

12Z GFS 500mb anomalies:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 71312&fh=6

That could promote a NW flow over Texas, giving us opportunity for MCSs that form.
2 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#700 Postby weatherdude1108 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:40 pm

forget rain. a way THICKER plume of dust compared to last time is coming to TX!

Yay! Just what I wanted, a post-apocalyptic look to the 100-degree weather. :D
1 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”