Texas Summer 2018

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Summer 2018

#1421 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:29 pm

austin06 wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:I feel like most drought prone areas should have some sort of permanent water restriction plan set up, unless of course you use well water.

Yeah, water wells are exempt from restrictions. In 2011, there was a lot of water well drilling going on in people's yards in the Austin area, just to get water to water their yards without restrictions. The water well drillers were booked solid for months I heard. Of course, the wells need to produce water in any case. :ggreen:

There is a church down the street from us that has two water wells they use only for irrigation. One well they had way before the 2011 drought. The other they drilled in Spring 2014. In fact there is a sign at the church parking lot that says something like "Grounds and landscaping irrigation is provided by well water".

Sometimes I see the sprinklers on in the middle of the afternoon, but most times they go along with the city rules, even though they use wells. Only makes practical sense. Less evaporation. Why not make the most use of your well water too?

If I paid that kind of money for drilling a water well, I'd want the well to produce as long as it can, and only use the water in the late night/early morning as needed. :wink:

At some point there should be restrictions for wells - there is going to have to be. Many of us in Dripping are on wells and this year I've been hearing about more and more going dry. Yes, it's the drought but also the out of control growth. I am hearing that people are dropping their pumps lower. That's the least expensive option if you go dry. We did get an LCRA line we can tap into, but the cost of that is about $12K just for the access to the line and then a big monthly bill.

If you are in these conditions, on 1.5 acres, have rain barrels for gardening, and leave your property native, there is nothing more frustrating than seeing your next door neighbor water patches of his St. Augustine grass every day for hours. Yes, he is on a well, and it is plain stupid. Many out here want to ban St. Augustine grass and traditional lawns - it grows great where I grew up in Fl with all the rain, but can't and shouldn't survive out here. The native "landscaping" is so much better for keeping groundwater in and capturing more to flow back to the aquifers. There's a lot of water shaming going on out here that I haven't seen in the past. Having a well go dry is not fun at all.

I agree 100%. St.Augustine makes absolutely NO SENSE here. Water-sucking non-native grass. Seen lots of people in our neighborhood go to the native turf and use native plants.

I manage to keep whatever St. Augustine I inherited from previous owner alive on once a week watering. It is mostly mixed with native weed grasses and bermuda, which has grown in to replace the st. Augustine that didn't come back. I have kind of a "hybrid" turf now of mixed grasses.
2 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1422 Postby Cpv17 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:50 pm

I believe we need to keep an eye on the tropics the first 10 days of September and the Gulf has water temps of 30-32 Celsius so that’s some rocket fuel right there.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1423 Postby Brent » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:15 am

Cpv17 wrote:I believe we need to keep an eye on the tropics the first 10 days of September and the Gulf has water temps of 30-32 Celsius so that’s some rocket fuel right there.

yeah I definitely wouldn't rule out something forming. Its been almost too quiet in the Atlantic this month even with el nino coming.

I agree our better shot is with EPAC recurves but those are still a few weeks away and literally our only chance at anything in the next 2 weeks is something from the Gulf, maybe it'll just be a rainmaker, I just want something zzzz
1 likes   
#neversummer

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1424 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:21 am

I never understand why some of you cheer on the coming Summer. Summer is the spawn of Satan and it is absolute hell this time of year.

Bring me some cold fronts and precip and college football!

#NeverSummer #GoToHellSummer
8 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1425 Postby Haris » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:15 am

ThunderSleetDreams wrote:I never understand why some of you cheer on the coming Summer. Summer is the spawn of Satan and it is absolute hell this time of year.

Bring me some cold fronts and precip and college football!

#NeverSummer #GoToHellSummer

Yeah , Austin is on its way for 60 triple digit days easily . we are already at 47 and a lot more in the forecast .

It is torture . I've gotten soo many migraines. Think of the all the homeless or workers outside ! This heat is dangerous!
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

aperson
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1426 Postby aperson » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:54 pm

Summer is the perfect conditioning detox in Austin. After a summer of biking in 100+F heat everything else feels absolutely phenomenal.
0 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1427 Postby Haris » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:24 pm

yeah imo its gonna get wet here in abouut 2 weeks. im seeing a sign of increased gulf moisture . esp for S and SE tx .
3 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1428 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:29 pm

Haris wrote:yeah imo its gonna get wet here in abouut 2 weeks. im seeing a sign of increased gulf moisture . esp for S and SE tx .

The last discussion by Ewx mentioned the sea breeze showers getting more enhanced, inching closer to I 35 and metro areas, especially by next weekend, and a possible pattern shift beyond next weekend.

Bring it already! This Summer SUCKS.
2 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1429 Postby Brent » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:40 pm

first snow in Wyoming tomorrow

Winter is coming :froze:
4 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1430 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:48 am

Waco is having a brutal year/summer as is much of central TX. Also 50 days of 100F or more and only a little over 9" of rain for the entire year there. Even beats 2011.

DFW has been much luckier and closer to a "normal" summer which is still hot but nothing what the neighbors to the south are dealing with.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

BrokenGlassRepublicn
Category 1
Category 1

#1431 Postby BrokenGlassRepublicn » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:08 am

At least we’ve reached the time of year where the days are becoming noticeably shorter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
1 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1432 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:06 am

Looks like maybe one more week of avg. summer like in DFW and then things start trending our way? Rain chances should start to show back up over the next 7 - 10 days and temps moderate towards the lower 90s?
2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1433 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:58 am

The trend is our friend(?).

FXUS64 KEWX 270806
AFDEWX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Austin/San Antonio TX
306 AM CDT Mon Aug 27 2018

.SHORT TERM (Today through Tuesday)...
Another warm night is ongoing across South-Central Texas with
nocturnal stratus developing near the Balcones Escarpment. This area
of clouds will continue to expand northward through day break.
Temperatures are in the upper 70s to lower 80s and we should drop
about another 3-4 degrees before sunrise. Much of the same is
expected for the forecast today with afternoon temperatures warming
into the upper 90s to 102 degrees. There should be enough moisture
with precipitable water values near 1.9" in the extreme southeastern
counties to produce a few showers or perhaps a thunderstorm this
afternoon. Will continue with a 20 PoP for areas east of a Giddings
to Cuero line. Another warm night is expected tonight with no rain
expected. Lows will be in the lower 70s for the Hill Country and in
the middle to upper 70s elsewhere. For tomorrow, much of the same can
be expected with a slight chance of an afternoon shower or storm in
the same general area as today. Highs tomorrow should be a degree or
two lower than today as upper heights fall and some cooling is
progged in the lower levels of the atmosphere.

&&

.LONG TERM (Tuesday Night through Sunday)...
With the decreasing heights lasting into Wednesday, moisture values
are expected to continue to increase. PW values will be near or above
2 inches for the eastern counties and we should see the possibility
of rain creep farther west to the I35/37 corridor. Any rain that does
fall should remain light without significant upper forcing. Moisture
values will be a bit less for the remainder of the forecast period
and will continue with the slight chance of rain for the Coastal
Plains. High temperatures in the extended will continue to be mainly
in the middle 90s to near 100 degrees with lows in the lower to upper
70s. On Day 7/8 medium range guidance is showing the ridge setting
up near the Ohio Valley and this should open the Gulf of Mexico up
for better moisture to arrive to the area.
Will keep 20 PoPs in the
eastern counties for now on Sunday, but these may need to be expanded
if this trend continues.
1 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1434 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:12 pm

1st legit cool front of the Fall? :cold:

0 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#1435 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:07 pm

I noticed this in the East Pacific hurricane thread. Will be interesting to see if we see some sort of development in the gulf in the next two weeks.

We don't need anything crazy but we do need the rain.
3 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#1436 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:19 pm

austin06 wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:I feel like most drought prone areas should have some sort of permanent water restriction plan set up, unless of course you use well water.

Yeah, water wells are exempt from restrictions. In 2011, there was a lot of water well drilling going on in people's yards in the Austin area, just to get water to water their yards without restrictions. The water well drillers were booked solid for months I heard. Of course, the wells need to produce water in any case. :ggreen:

There is a church down the street from us that has two water wells they use only for irrigation. One well they had way before the 2011 drought. The other they drilled in Spring 2014. In fact there is a sign at the church parking lot that says something like "Grounds and landscaping irrigation is provided by well water".

Sometimes I see the sprinklers on in the middle of the afternoon, but most times they go along with the city rules, even though they use wells. Only makes practical sense. Less evaporation. Why not make the most use of your well water too?

If I paid that kind of money for drilling a water well, I'd want the well to produce as long as it can, and only use the water in the late night/early morning as needed. :wink:

At some point there should be restrictions for wells - there is going to have to be. Many of us in Dripping are on wells and this year I've been hearing about more and more going dry. Yes, it's the drought but also the out of control growth. I am hearing that people are dropping their pumps lower. That's the least expensive option if you go dry. We did get an LCRA line we can tap into, but the cost of that is about $12K just for the access to the line and then a big monthly bill.

If you are in these conditions, on 1.5 acres, have rain barrels for gardening, and leave your property native, there is nothing more frustrating than seeing your next door neighbor water patches of his St. Augustine grass every day for hours. Yes, he is on a well, and it is plain stupid. Many out here want to ban St. Augustine grass and traditional lawns - it grows great where I grew up in Fl with all the rain, but can't and shouldn't survive out here. The native "landscaping" is so much better for keeping groundwater in and capturing more to flow back to the aquifers. There's a lot of water shaming going on out here that I haven't seen in the past. Having a well go dry is not fun at all.

I agree 100% on using native grass, plants and trees. More and more people should really look into transitioning to native species.

One thing that I've noticed that I do not like however is with a lot of new construction in existing neighborhoods, they are throwing down rock and very few plants, mostly desert species instead of native grass or landscaping. Drought or not, this is not El Paso, Phoenix or Las Vegas. It's called Urban Desertification and it should be discouraged as much as planting St. Augustine and water guzzling non natives. Grass grows up in these rock yards regardless so then they go and spray with poison to kill the grass off. A terrible and damaging environmental practice.
1 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1437 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:24 pm

JDawg512 wrote:I noticed this in the East Pacific hurricane thread. Will be interesting to see if we see some sort of development in the gulf in the next two weeks.

The system looks weak but the overall setup is intriguing with a sagging cold front across West Texas, weak tropical system moving in and ridge over the SE. That could be the makings for a big rain event.
2 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1438 Postby Cpv17 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:33 pm

bubba hotep wrote:
JDawg512 wrote:I noticed this in the East Pacific hurricane thread. Will be interesting to see if we see some sort of development in the gulf in the next two weeks.

The system looks weak but the overall setup is intriguing with a sagging cold front across West Texas, weak tropical system moving in and ridge over the SE. That could be the makings for a big rain event.

Well you know how it is here in most of Texas, it’s either a drought or a flood lol
1 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1439 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:53 pm

Latching onto something.

I noticed during a walk just now that the sun feels less intense, it's clearer in the sky, the clouds are more billowy, and it seems more Fall-like, even though it's near 100 degrees. It's subtle, but it's there.

I have a knack sometimes for noticing a difference in the weather if I step outside, whether it's less or more humid, or a couple degrees warmer or cooler. I notice more of it with moisture. I go outside and notice it seems really dry. I check humidity, it's 21%.

Or if it smells like rain and feels sticky in the morning, and the clouds are different, I check forecast, and there's a 50% chance of thunderstorms.

Wife gives me a hard time about it, like it's weird.lol It is a little odd, but I notice stuff like that, without trying.lol

2 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1440 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:10 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:Latching onto something.

I noticed during a walk just now that the sun feels less intense, it's clearer in the sky, the clouds are more billowy, and it seems more Fall-like, even though it's near 100 degrees. It's subtle, but it's there.

I have a knack sometimes for noticing a difference in the weather if I step outside, whether it's less or more humid, or a couple degrees warmer or cooler. I notice more of it with moisture. I go outside and notice it seems really dry. I check humidity, it's 21%.

Or if it smells like rain and feels sticky in the morning, and the clouds are different, I check forecast, and there's a 50% chance of thunderstorms.

Wife gives me a hard time about it, like it's weird.lol It is a little odd, but I notice stuff like that, without trying.lol

I mentioned the same thing to my wife yesterday. Even though it was 100, the atmosphere? seems different. The sun is definitely less intense and everything just has a different look and feel to it.
2 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”