Texas Fall 2018

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Haris
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Fall 2018

#41 Postby Haris » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:59 am

Brent wrote:
Haris wrote:The GFS is the best case scenario !!!! Beneficial awesome rains from front

and a major cold front at that around September 11/12th!!! Fall is coming :D Widespread lows in the 50s on September 14th

Everyone would be happy with the GFS

It looks like the Euro may be going that way, its definitely weaker coming in like the GFS

Austin goes from nearly 30 inches on the 12z Euro to around an inch at 0z :lol:

heaviest rain is E/NE of Houston

shows some more rain tho last couple frames
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:16 am

AHHHHHH! Happy Fall thread! :D

Due to increased moisture and a series of disturbances rain chances will increase over the next 5 days with scattered showers and storms possible each day. Wind gusts up to 40 mph are possible with the stronger showers and thunderstorms. Some pockets of heavier rain will be possible late in the week. Temperatures will gradually "cool" to near or slightly below normal.
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:38 am

I know the Euro is tight lipped on data, but can we see rainfall data from its projection? Thanks.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Cypresso
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#44 Postby Cypresso » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Looks like Invest 91 (the possible "Gordon") tracking is now showing a tad more to the north than the earlier runs. Still quite uncertain until it enters the Gulf. Still will be very alert in our location! Sitting at a 90% chance now for the five day forecast.
0 likes   
Houston, Texas. Allison '01, Rita '05, Dolly '08, Ike '08, Issac '12, Harvey '17

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby Haris » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Euro is awesome . 3-4” everywhere
4 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

austin06
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#46 Postby austin06 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:46 pm

I was feeling jealous because people in my town were posting pics of the 3" of rain they got last night while we got not a drop.

Then it started to downpour and has lasted the past 45 minutes. We have puddles! Most significant rain in months. :D
2 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby Haris » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:57 pm

Haris wrote:Euro is awesome . 3-4” everywhere

oh my the ePS are amazing too :D :D :D :D
1 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#48 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:58 pm

Comin’ a flood for the last hour or so here.
1 likes   
#neversummer

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:25 pm

austin06 wrote:I was feeling jealous because people in my town were posting pics of the 3" of rain they got last night while we got not a drop.

Then it started to downpour and has lasted the past 45 minutes. We have puddles! Most significant rain in months. :D

I did not get a drop last night, but saw lightning in distance. Still nothing here yet today either. Playing the waiting game. :roll:

We drove out to Wimberley yesterday. It is SO DRY in that area. So much brown grass and yellow shrubs between Austin and here. They need rain desperately. Looks like they missed out on the last two events in July and August by the way it looked.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#50 Postby Brent » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:11 pm

Most of us are in or near the 5 day cone for future Gordon :rain:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Brent wrote:Most of us are in or near the 5 day cone for future Gordon :rain:

I’m not expecting anything much from it here in SETX. We’ll be on the dry side of it
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:21 pm

Cpv17 wrote:

I’m not expecting anything much from it here in SETX. We’ll be on the dry side of it

If we are in the vicinity of the low, lower surface pressure, with day time heating we will have some big rain makers despite being on the dry side.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#53 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:27 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

If we are in the vicinity of the low, lower surface pressure, with day time heating we will have some big rain makers despite being on the dry side.

How? When the storm will be north and east of us? That’s the dry side. Explain yourself lol
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:49 pm

The only way I guess I could see us folks down here get any rain from the storm is if it’s not very well consolidated and it’s just one big sloppy mess and pressure remains low in our area and PWAT’s remain high..then yeah I could see us get some rain.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#55 Postby Portastorm » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:37 pm

Cpv17 wrote:The only way I guess I could see us folks down here get any rain from the storm is if it’s not very well consolidated and it’s just one big sloppy mess and pressure remains low in our area and PWAT’s remain high..then yeah I could see us get some rain.

Actually I could see a very plausible scenario where the training line of convection rolling into a low center in North Texas would line up over SE Texas and create rain chances. Just remember what radars look like when tropical systems are winding down, yet they have long bands of convection spiraling into the center.
3 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Cypresso
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#56 Postby Cypresso » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:09 pm

Portastorm wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:The only way I guess I could see us folks down here get any rain from the storm is if it’s not very well consolidated and it’s just one big sloppy mess and pressure remains low in our area and PWAT’s remain high..then yeah I could see us get some rain.

Actually I could see a very plausible scenario where the training line of convection rolling into a low center in North Texas would line up over SE Texas and create rain chances. Just remember what radars look like when tropical systems are winding down, yet they have long bands of convection spiraling into the center.

With my decades of experience with hurricanes and tropical storms, I would still say SE Texas needs to remain on alert until this system enters the Gulf. Tracking can change on a dime once a system becomes better organized. My opinion and with caution as I remember Ike and how he jumped around in tracking towards the end of his Gulf travels.
2 likes   
Houston, Texas. Allison '01, Rita '05, Dolly '08, Ike '08, Issac '12, Harvey '17

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#57 Postby South Texas Storms » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:35 pm

A wet weather pattern can be expected across much of Texas over the next week as a series of weak disturbances track across the state. Heavy rainfall and flash flooding will be the main threat. Areas of showers and thunderstorms will be likely each day, with rainfall totals forecast to average around 2-4 inches across much of the state through next weekend.
3 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#58 Postby Brent » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:54 pm

I remember with Bill the heaviest rain being on the west side at times too and yeah its not like the track is etched in stone anyway

Even without direct impact the pattern is still gonna be way more unsettled than it has been
Last edited by Brent on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 likes   
#neversummer

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#59 Postby starsfan65 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:57 pm

Brent wrote:I remember with Bill the heaviest rain being on the west side at times too and yeah its not like the track is etched in stone anyway
You are right the track is not set in stone yet.
1 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#60 Postby Haris » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:33 pm

Labor day looking very wet now
2 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”