Texas Fall 2018

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Fall 2018

#1881 Postby Ralph's Weather » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:37 am

Slipped down to 31 here this morning.

I do not see anything particularly interesting about this morning's models. GFS shifted a tad northnfor early next week. I still think it is driving that storm NE too early. I could also see the following storm take a much more SW path. It seems the models are wantimg to shift towards a +PNA pattern which I am not sure is correct in the long range. If the long range is more -EPO than +PNA driven then storms will be able to dig SW.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1882 Postby gboudx » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:14 am

Brent wrote:
I'm seeing the 09-10 analog all over the place... I'd love nothing more than a repeat lol. Snow on Christmas Eve and a footer in February? Sign me up :lol:

I'll take an 09-10 analog. My Saints won the Super Bowl that season and have that "look" about them again. Even better that it would be in the sphincterdome, AKA, the Falcons stadium. :slime:
2 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#1883 Postby JDawg512 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:23 am

Looks like the unsettled wet pattern has come to an end. Not a lot of good rain chances through the end of the month. Quick frontal passages with little time for moisture return. It's not like we need it considering the ground moisture is still in good shape. But if December follows in November's footsteps, we'll be getting pretty dry.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1884 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:30 am

JDawg512 wrote:Looks like the unsettled wet pattern has come to an end. Not a lot of good rain chances through the end of the month. Quick frontal passages with little time for moisture return. It's not like we need it considering the ground moisture is still in good shape. But if December follows in November's footsteps, we'll be getting pretty dry.

Yeah, unfortunately all good things must come to an end...

The next week to 10 days looks pretty dry across much of the state. There are signs that the pattern will become more active in December though. We'll just need to be a bit patient and enjoy the continued cooler than normal temperatures.
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1885 Postby gboudx » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:37 am

Update from jeff:

Fairly active weather pattern will result in nearly daily changes in the weather for the next several days. No significant weather events appear likely through the Thanksgiving holiday period.

Coastal trough and low has pushed east of the area allowing a much drier air mass to move across SE TX and resulting in clearing skies. Air mass is still fairly cool and even with the sun, only expecting high temperatures today in the lower 60’s. Next upper level disturbance will quickly approach from the SW on Wednesday and yet another coastal trough will form well offshore over the NW Gulf of Mexico. Models have been showing this feature further and further offshore which should keep the most active weather and any threat for strong or severe weather well off the coast. Expect clouds to rapidly increase on Wednesday with showers and an isolated thunderstorms by Wednesday evening over the area. Highest rain chances will be along the coast and offshore where best moisture and strongest lift will be found. System will be fast moving and will see rain ending early on Thursday morning. Post frontal air mass is not very cold, but how quickly the area warms on Thursday will likely depend on how quickly clouds break up. There are some indications that moisture may get trapped in a frontal inversion and linger much of the day which could keep daytime highs on the cooler side in the 50’s and lower 60’s versus near 70 if the sun breaks out earlier in the day.

Another quick moving system on Friday with a slight chance of showers (30-40%) and again on Sunday. Fast movement of the weather systems is not allowing much time for moisture return nor any significant amounts of cold air to move southward. Upper air pattern may buckle some into early next week with the post Sunday cold front having a better push of cold air to knock highs back down into the 50’s/60’s and lows into the 40’s after a brief warm up over the weekend.

Overall pattern is looking very El Nino like and extended seasonal outlooks continue to call for above normal rainfall and near or below normal temperatures for next winter season. This appears to be supported by the developing El Nino conditions in the central Pacific and also a warm pool of water in the Gulf of Alaska which would help to support the idea of frequent cold air intrusions east of the Rockies while moisture streams into TX from the SW out of the Pacific.
0 likes   

Patriot12
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1886 Postby Patriot12 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:17 pm

Who is ‘Jeff?’
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1887 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:21 pm

:uarrow: :lol:
I understand why he would ask that. You see "Jeff" and nothing but some paragraphs. I think he's a local weather dude in the Houston area(?). Not sure though.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1888 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:24 pm

Jeff Lindner is the Harris County Flood Control District Meteorologist. He's been forecasting the weather in the Houston area for many years, and generally does a good job.
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1889 Postby bubba hotep » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Last couple of runs of the GFS are pointing towards a wetter pattern across Texas beyond D10. Now to see if the Euro follows, there have been a couple of false starts already in model land.

Looking back at analogs, if you filter by west or central based +ENSO, low solar, etc. Then weight more recent events we get cold-wet look. Every event is different but recent changes in the background state, such as expansion of the Hadley Cells, has me discounting older analogs. As has been stated, '09-10 continues to be a strong analog. I also think '14-15 can be included given the SSTs in the N.Pacific.

So now we wait for the wetter pattern to emerge...
2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1890 Postby gboudx » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Yes for those new to the boards, "jeff" is Jeff Lindner that South Texas Storms mentioned. He used to be active on the forum with the name "jeff", yes lowercase "j". Most of the old timers know who I'm talking about, but I'll start putting his full name.
1 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1891 Postby bubba hotep » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:21 pm

I'm as encouraged about the 1st half of December as I've been since we started looking for snow. Lot's of small steps forward in the 12z models.
4 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#1892 Postby cheezyWXguy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:56 pm

bubba hotep wrote:I'm as encouraged about the 1st half of December as I've been since we started looking for snow. Lot's of small steps forward in the 12z models.

18z GFS holds out hope too. Day 10-11 shows a strong system moving though Texas with rain likely changing to snow on the back end.
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1893 Postby Brent » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:56 pm

bubba hotep wrote:I'm as encouraged about the 1st half of December as I've been since we started looking for snow. Lot's of small steps forward in the 12z models.

let's start the winter thread officially with a bang :lol:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1894 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:28 pm

When is this progressive pattern going to slow down?
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1895 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:01 pm

Did someone say, stepping down? Early December looks fun!
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1896 Postby orangeblood » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:14 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Did someone say, stepping down? Early December looks fun!

I'd say more like stepping up into the money phases of the MJO....which, btw, we should see a lot of this winter - amped up 8-1!!! :jacket:

2 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1897 Postby Ntxw » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:39 pm

Nothing has really changed. The Scandinavian ridge has made its way towards Greenland and will become a west based-eastern Canada blocking regime. The recent -SOI dive still is likely 7-14 days away from a strong southern stream moisture plume (WWB about to occur in the central Pacific). Whether or not we cash the last week of November was a long-shot but the storms are rolling. The stars are beginning to line up. The idea was that snowstorms would show up on the models sometime near or after TG for early December.

We likely won't see the coldest air (anomaly) with a +PNA but if there is a southwest low, then it will be good enough for snow. I would favor the east for the deepest cold in such a regime but for Texas is snow making pattern.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1898 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:44 pm

I’m sorry, but I don’t really see anything on the models right now that has me excited. Not trying to be a party pooper, but I just don’t see anything. I’m not sure what you guys are seeing. All of the cold and precipitation looks to be towards the southeast and into the northeast cuz of the +PNA.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1899 Postby Ntxw » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:46 pm

Cpv17 wrote:I’m sorry, but I don’t really see anything on the models right now that has me excited. Not trying to be a party pooper, but I just don’t see anything. I’m not sure what you guys are seeing. All of the cold and precipitation looks to be towards the southeast and into the northeast cuz of the +PNA.

We've all mentioned the various players throughout many posts about post Thanksgivings and early December. If you choose to take the models verbatim then that's the only conclusion you can have.
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1900 Postby Ntxw » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:55 pm

1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”