Texas Fall 2018

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Fall 2018

#1761 Postby Ntxw » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:28 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:You know, late this weekend it's going to end up a little colder than what the models showed a week ago. I wonder if this is going to be the trend this year. Sunday in NTX is likely to be falling throughout the day from the upper 40s to the lower 40s.

Yep. Another thing I’ve noticed too is the models having an east bias in the medium to long range with the cold air only to shift back west in the short.

Yeah and it's not hard to see why. The 500mb ridge is not centered in the west but rather off the North American coast where the SSTa's are warmest in the GOA. Think 2013-2014 in that aspect. Second you can see that the 500mb mean trough actually extends to the west and southwest. Sometimes going by seasonal trends is better.

However this is about to change as the 500mb mean trough will shift and go from the southwest, through Texas, and the southeast. Some serious polar blocking on the way.

3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1762 Postby Ntxw » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Plots for some of the most notable snowy months at the airport.

2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

hamburgerman7070
Category 1
Category 1

#1763 Postby hamburgerman7070 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:08 pm

Ntxw, i have heard about possibilities of a ssw of some type and this scandinavian ridge. Are these the precursor of possible analogs you posted here? If anything is different, what is it.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1764 Postby Ntxw » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:17 pm

hamburgerman7070 wrote:Ntxw, i have heard about possibilities of a ssw of some type and this scandinavian ridge. Are these the precursor of possible analogs you posted here? If anything is different, what is it.

Everything is mostly troposphere driven. I don't think the "warm December" climo of Nino will apply this year. The Scandinavian ridge, and Pacific is forcing the displacement in the stratosphere. If I had to make a guess it's likely weak-mod Nino effect. For whatever reason blocking there just likes to happen in the Goldilocks of El Nino.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

hamburgerman7070
Category 1
Category 1

#1765 Postby hamburgerman7070 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:34 pm

Ntxw wrote:
hamburgerman7070 wrote:Ntxw, i have heard about possibilities of a ssw of some type and this scandinavian ridge. Are these the precursor of possible analogs you posted here? If anything is different, what is it.

Everything is mostly troposphere driven. I don't think the "warm December" climo of Nino will apply this year. The Scandinavian ridge, and Pacific is forcing the displacement in the stratosphere. If I had to make a guess it's likely weak-mod Nino effect. For whatever reason blocking there just likes to happen in the Goldilocks of El Nino.

Ntxw, do you believe if this pattern actually materializes, will it be one to support colder and winter wx opportunities for us? I heard that the atmosphere hasnt coupled to ocean yet either with this niño. All these possibilities are over my head for sure.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1766 Postby Ntxw » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:56 pm

hamburgerman7070 wrote:Ntxw, do you believe if this pattern actually materializes, will it be one to support colder and winter wx opportunities for us? I heard that the atmosphere hasnt coupled to ocean yet either with this niño. All these possibilities are over my head for sure.

I would be surprised if we did not see an event or several events in the pattern. You really can't paint it much better for snow all things equal. Assuming it does come to fruition. Of course anything beyond 3-5 days is subject to complete folly. However we are going in the right direction.
3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

hamburgerman7070
Category 1
Category 1

#1767 Postby hamburgerman7070 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:04 am

Ntxw wrote:
hamburgerman7070 wrote:Ntxw, do you believe if this pattern actually materializes, will it be one to support colder and winter wx opportunities for us? I heard that the atmosphere hasnt coupled to ocean yet either with this niño. All these possibilities are over my head for sure.

I would be surprised if we did not see an event or several events in the pattern. You really can't paint it much better for snow all things equal. Assuming it does come to fruition. Of course anything beyond 3-5 days is subject to complete folly. However we are going in the right direction.

Ntxw, to me it seems with that ne pacific warm pool, it kinda reminds me of 13-14 winter. I know this winter wont be like that, but some similarities other than the weak to moderate niño we have this year.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1768 Postby Brent » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:18 am

one thing for sure... everywhere I've read and checked, the hype for this winter is off the charts. :double: Like I've never seen before. I still have a lot of people I talk to back east and they've been buzzing about it too.

Like if this winter isn't big on snow around here I'm going to seriously question things... the patterns that are modeled do seem to look similar to big snow producers also.

this cold outbreak/early season snowfall however minor it was has really gotten the ball rolling too
5 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1769 Postby Ntxw » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:22 am

4th freeze at DFW today. This past Monday barely missed 5th as it got down to 33.
3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1770 Postby Ntxw » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:37 am

Brent wrote:one thing for sure... everywhere I've read and checked, the hype for this winter is off the charts. :double: Like I've never seen before. I still have a lot of people I talk to back east and they've been buzzing about it too.

Like if this winter isn't big on snow around here I'm going to seriously question things... the patterns that are modeled do seem to look similar to big snow producers also.

this cold outbreak/early season snowfall however minor it was has really gotten the ball rolling too

Usually there is always a "but" factor. It may get cold but "Nina" or but "Atlantic is bad" or "but Canada is warm". There isn't really an excuse right now so it better deliver and I think it will. We've finally seen below normal months back to back to back! The Euro seasonal drives that legendary 500mb posted above of the snow years through Feb and the CFSv2 has reversed course to show a colder December.
5 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1771 Postby Ralph's Weather » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:58 am

Down to 24 here.

The upcoming pattern looks truly epic for a series of winter storms all winter long. With Arctic blocking and a storm path from the SW through the SE and up the E coast. Hard to find a reason to curb the enthusiasm. Even these upcoming warm couple days will not exceed normals by more than a degree or two before we head right back down.
2 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

davidiowx
Category 1
Category 1

#1772 Postby davidiowx » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:42 am

Another key factor to keep in mind is wxman57 (a.k.a. The heat miser) has been awfully quiet...
:cold: :froze:
4 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1773 Postby Ntxw » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:48 am

Clear skies and light winds took DFW down to 29 this morning. Beat the forecast of 34.
3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1774 Postby gboudx » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:15 am

davidiowx wrote:Another key factor to keep in mind is wxman57 (a.k.a. The heat miser) has been awfully quiet...
:cold: :froze:

Oh, he posted earlier this week demanding a return to hot weather. But no gloating, no evil predictions of warmth or using his powers to take control of the global thermostat.
3 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1775 Postby Portastorm » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:22 am

I suspect this means good things for us as well with the blocking in play.

3 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1776 Postby Portastorm » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:39 am

And yet more "fun" viewing on Twitter this morning ...

2 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1777 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:03 pm

All of the 12z model runs for today sucked if you want cold and snow. Lots of rain for southeast Texas though.
0 likes   

TXWeatherMan
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1778 Postby TXWeatherMan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Cpv17 wrote:All of the 12z model runs for today sucked if you want cold and snow. Lots of rain for southeast Texas though.

The models are all over the place that far out. I wouldn’t pay much attention to it.
2 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1779 Postby Haris » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Let's all take a moment to look at the incredible frontogenesis across the N.E !? :D :double: :froze:
2 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1780 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:12 pm

From mid 20s with a heavy frost to 69 degrees this afternoon. “Make Texas Cold Again”
1 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”