Texas Fall 2018

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Fall 2018

#301 Postby gboudx » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:38 pm

WFAA’s Colleen Coyle showed highs in the mid 70s next Thursday and Friday in the 6pm newscast. Please let her be right.
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#302 Postby Brent » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:40 pm

gboudx wrote:WFAA’s Colleen Coyle showed highs in the mid 70s next Thursday and Friday in the 6pm newscast. Please let her be right.

This is the best forecast ive seen in awhile too, please verify

1 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#303 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:45 pm

The Crazy Canadian tonight is crazy wet for ETX :double:
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#304 Postby Brent » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:18 am

0z Euro has 4 inches of rain for DFW(the weekend is basically a washout) and next Friday has a high in the... 60s... :cold:.
2 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#305 Postby Ntxw » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:45 am

Becoming real despite still some ways off. Today likely is the hottest day of the next 10 then we slowly stair step down. Next week will be gorgeous Fall weather.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#306 Postby Ntxw » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:13 am

Also of note the rainfall chances this coming weekend is likely going to be enhanced by 94E in the Eastern Pacific currently over the Baja. It will fuse with some kind of front.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#307 Postby Haris » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:38 am

Wow
3 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#308 Postby Brent » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:59 pm

53 at DFW next Friday morning on the Euro :cold:
1 likes   
#neversummer

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#309 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:31 pm

Jim Spencer, the local weathercaster in Austin mentioned yesterday that the high was 95 at Camp Mabry ( I think 95?). He mentioned in passing that there's no reason for it to be 95 degrees after the inches of rain we received, and how it shows the effects of warming coming within a degree of the record, or something like that. Can't remember exactly what he said.

I was a little skeptical of what he mentioned, just because it seemed like he jumped to a conclusion based on the main-stream media bias towards warming. Not to say background warming isn't happening to an extent, but I was thinking in my head that Camp Mabry is surrounded by concrete in the area, especially the expanded Mopac thoroughfare, and if the wind blows right, that hotter air could hit the sensors and skew them towards a higher reading.

But playing the other side, I know Bergstrom was about the same temperature, and they tend to be cooler.

It could have been an odd day atmospherically(?). Not denying or playing alarmist, just thought it was an interesting blurb he decided to throw in there. So hard to figure out what's real and what's hyped anymore.

All I know is I'm looking forward to more rain! :)
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#310 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:36 pm

FXUS64 KEWX 192003
AFDEWX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Austin/San Antonio TX
303 PM CDT Wed Sep 19 2018

.SHORT TERM (Tonight through Thursday Night)...
The current mid to upper level pattern is characterized by broad
troughing across the western CONUS with a smaller shortwave trough in
the vicinity of Baja California with strong ridging across the
central CONUS. Today`s forecast is on track, with highs expected to
top out in the upper 80s to low 90s this afternoon. Moisture is on
the increase across the region, with source locations being both the
eastern Pacific as well as the Gulf of Mexico. Moistening across the
Rio Grande region tonight will yield a slight chance for showers and
thunderstorms. Otherwise, tonight will be mild with clouds on the
increase, moderating overnight lows.

PoPs will be on the increase for tomorrow as precipitable water
values increase further and weak upper level forcing from the
approaching troughs generates scattered showers and thunderstorms.
Models suggest the most favorable location for the possibility of
locally heavy rainfall will be along the Rio Grande and into the
southern Edwards Plateau region tomorrow afternoon and continuing
into the evening and overnight hours. High temperatures tomorrow
likely wont get out of the 80s with the cloud cover, increased
moisture, and the residual wet soils from the past two weeks of heavy
rain.

&&

.LONG TERM (Friday through Wednesday)...
Scattered to widespread showers and thunderstorms will continue for
Friday and Saturday, and these chances will spread north and eastward
to include all of South Central Texas. Given the very high
precipitable water values, tall and skinny CAPE profiles, and high
wet bulb zero values, locally heavy rainfall will be possible as
these showers/storms could be very efficient rain producers. With
the heavy rainfall that has impacted the region in the month of
September, there could be a localized flash flooding threat.

Rain chances will still exist for Sunday through Tuesday, but chances
will be lower than Friday and Saturday and the focus will shift more
toward the eastern half of the region. The locally heavy rainfall
threat will also diminish during this time period.

Models diverge a bit as we head into the end of the forecast period.
The GFS brings a strong cold front completely through the region
late Wednesday night into Thursday morning while the ECMWF shows the
front not coming through the region until late Thursday into Friday
morning. However, both models depict showers and thunderstorms along
and ahead of the frontal passage.

High temperatures for Friday through next Wednesday will be below
seasonal normals with not much diurnal range due to warmer overnight
temperatures due to persistent cloud cover and rain chances.
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#311 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:38 pm

3 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#312 Postby bubba hotep » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:15 pm

12z Euro shows some crazy rain totals up along the Red River into S. Ok. What kind of an event would we be looking at if those 20"+ totals shifted south and verified in DFW?
2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#313 Postby Brent » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:29 pm

bubba hotep wrote:12z Euro shows some crazy rain totals up along the Red River into S. Ok. What kind of an event would we be looking at if those 20"+ totals shifted south and verified in DFW?

I noticed that too :eek:

I wouldn't be at all surprised by flooding this weekend with the EPAC involved thats for sure, the models always struggle with heavy rain placement
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#314 Postby Ntxw » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:39 pm

Yeah don't be surprised if things shift around. Some crazy totals with now depression 19E.

Coverage will be widespread given it is front+tropical system. Where front is dictates how much where.
2 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#315 Postby starsfan65 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:03 pm

bubba hotep wrote:12z Euro shows some crazy rain totals up along the Red River into S. Ok. What kind of an event would we be looking at if those 20"+ totals shifted south and verified in DFW?
5 inches of rain is enough!! Thank you!!
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#316 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:50 pm

18z GFS is way drier across Texas compared to previous runs. Probably doesn’t change anything though.

Last edited by Cpv17 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#317 Postby starsfan65 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Cpv17 wrote:18z GFS is way drier across Texas compared to previous runs. Probably doesn’t change anything though.

The cold front could be sweeping through than stalling.
0 likes   

utpmg
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#318 Postby utpmg » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:09 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:Jim Spencer, the local weathercaster in Austin mentioned yesterday that the high was 95 at Camp Mabry ( I think 95?). He mentioned in passing that there's no reason for it to be 95 degrees after the inches of rain we received, and how it shows the effects of warming coming within a degree of the record, or something like that. Can't remember exactly what he said.

I was a little skeptical of what he mentioned, just because it seemed like he jumped to a conclusion based on the main-stream media bias towards warming. Not to say background warming isn't happening to an extent, but I was thinking in my head that Camp Mabry is surrounded by concrete in the area, especially the expanded Mopac thoroughfare, and if the wind blows right, that hotter air could hit the sensors and skew them towards a higher reading.

But playing the other side, I know Bergstrom was about the same temperature, and they tend to be cooler.

It could have been an odd day atmospherically(?). Not denying or playing alarmist, just thought it was an interesting blurb he decided to throw in there. So hard to figure out what's real and what's hyped anymore.

Surely the amount of pavement at Bergstrom dwarfs that near Mabry; also isn't the temperature station in the middle? Mabry is a pretty green area, like a big park. Bergstrom is surrounded by pavement.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#319 Postby Ntxw » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:13 pm

Risks from the CPC

1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#320 Postby Ntxw » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:21 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:Jim Spencer, the local weathercaster in Austin mentioned yesterday that the high was 95 at Camp Mabry ( I think 95?). He mentioned in passing that there's no reason for it to be 95 degrees after the inches of rain we received, and how it shows the effects of warming coming within a degree of the record, or something like that. Can't remember exactly what he said.

It's likely a combination of all the things you mentioned. Nothing is really isolated from one another. Background warming, urban sprawl, subsidence from Florence all conjoined. DFW for instance is seeing warmer overnight lows. The summer low this year was 86 which tied 2011 and it wasn't even nearly as hot a summer as that one. To get into the mid 80s in the past would take some incredible heat waves (such as 1980, 2011 etc) but now can happen any summer on just a regular heat wave. The warmest lows for DFW May-June-July-August have all occured since 2000. Most happening since 2010.
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”