Texas Fall 2018

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Fall 2018

#1441 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:25 pm

What’s up with the warm bias on the GFS? Euro has me at 31 next Wednesday morning while the GFS has me at 40.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1442 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:35 pm

Ntxw wrote:Big issue the past few years has been the hadley cell and expanded ridging from the Pacific to the Baja/Southwest. Its no longer there and has been easy to trof. Evidence of our rains the past several months. Nino.

Qpf should increase once guidance captures the baja feature. If we can get the cold in a little faster and deeper it could get interesting for NTX

This is why i think a cool 1+2, cooler water off of mexico, and not much warmer than normal SST like we have had will help for winter storms.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

BrokenGlassRepublicn
Category 1
Category 1

#1443 Postby BrokenGlassRepublicn » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:42 pm

Cpv17 wrote:What’s up with the warm bias on the GFS? Euro has me at 31 next Wednesday morning while the GFS has me at 40.

If I remember clearly, this was a consistent problem with all of the models last winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
1 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1444 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:52 pm

Bob Rose had a blog post regarding El Nino. It appears, despite SSTs being in Niñoesque, the atmosphere hasn't quite coupled with the warm SSTs, putting the tropical Pacific in ENSO neutral territory. But they expect the ocean and atmosphere to couple at some point.

I assume this coupling would eventually help to solidify the Pacific moisture stream/subtropical jet into Texas to fuel whatever systems pop up. Anyway.

Thursday, November 8, 2018 1:44 PM

El Niño has not quite developed yet. That's the assessment from the National Weather Service's Climate Prediction Center in Thursday's monthly ENSO diagnostic discussion. The tropical Pacific remained in ENSO neutral territory during October, despite widespread above-average sea surface temperatures stretching across the equatorial Pacific. Sea surface temperatures have surpassed the threshold for the development of El Niño at most locations between the coast of South America and the International Date Line.

However, CPC forecasters note that atmospheric convection, or thunderstorm activity, remains slightly suppressed near the Date Line and over Indonesia. Low-level westerly wind anomalies were observed mainly over the eastern Pacific during October, while weak upper-level westerly wind anomalies were present over the far western Pacific. During El Niño, upper-level winds typically blow from east to west. The traditional and equatorial Southern Oscillation indices were both near zero during October. Both of these indices are typically negative during El Niño.

So despite the above-average ocean temperatures across the equatorial Pacific Ocean, it appears the atmosphere hasn't quite coupled or connected with the warm waters just yet. As a result, CPC forecasters state the overall coupled ocean-atmosphere system still reflects ENSO-neutral conditions.

The majority of long-range forecast models predict sea surface temperatures in the equatorial Pacific will remain above the threshold for the development of El Niño through the rest of the fall and winter, and even into spring.

The official forecast favors the formation of a weak El Niño, with the expectation that the atmospheric circulation will eventually couple with the anomalous equatorial Pacific warmth. In summary, El Niño is expected to form and continue through the Northern Hemisphere winter 2018-19 (~80% chance) and into spring (55-60% chance).

Bob

https://www.lcra.org/water/river-and-we ... ather.aspx
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1445 Postby Brent » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:55 pm

FWD on the Monday "threat"

Rain chances will increase Sunday afternoon/Sunday night as an
upper trough moves southeast out of the Central Rockies and
another cold front crosses the Red River. This system will bring
numerous showers and isolated thunderstorms to much of the region
with the best rain chances on Monday. There are some indications
in the models that a brief rain/snow mix will be possible across
the northwest zones on Monday, but this solution is not supported
by all the models and the more likely scenario is that the deep
cold air will lag behind the precipitation
. Even if there was a
brief rain/snow mix across the northwest zones, surface
temperatures would likely be above freezing (mid to upper 30s)
with no impacts.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Jarodm12
Category 1
Category 1

#1446 Postby Jarodm12 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:08 pm

I'll say this though the nam at 84 hrs has the system slowed down and a 1050mb high pressure
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1447 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:22 pm

18z GFS flipped back towards the Euro.
0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#1448 Postby starsfan65 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:27 pm

bubba hotep wrote:18z GFS flipped back towards the Euro.

How could it do this all of the sudden?
0 likes   

TXWeatherMan
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1449 Postby TXWeatherMan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:27 pm

Jarodm12 wrote:I'll say this though the nam at 84 hrs has the system slowed down and a 1050mb high pressure

That would be very strong for this time of year
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1450 Postby Ntxw » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:38 pm

starsfan65 wrote:

I wouldn't get too worked up over either solution. From the very beginning this was an outside chance of happening. It has been a novelty to model watch. It will get cold for November. Snow is icing if it happens at all.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#1451 Postby starsfan65 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Ntxw wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:

I wouldn't get too worked up over either solution. From the very beginning this was an outside chance of happening. It has been a novelty to model watch. It will get cold for November. Snow is icing if it happens at all.

so we have to accept it for what it is.
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1452 Postby Brent » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:42 pm

starsfan65 wrote:

because the Euro is the better model usually :lol:

That being said I echo what ntxw said... it's always been a longshot but its also not a done deal yet
1 likes   
#neversummer

SnowintheFalls
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1453 Postby SnowintheFalls » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:44 pm

starsfan65 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:How could it do this all of the sudden?

so we have to accept it for what it is.

Such is Texas weather. You have to learn to enjoy the journey and temper enthusiasm for the potential outcome. We haven't even started winter yet so there will be many journeys ahead! 8-)
1 likes   
There is no day like a snow day!

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#1454 Postby Cerlin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Ntxw wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:

That’s true—if it doesn’t snow, we’ve still got a long winter with plenty of chances!! :lol:
1 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1455 Postby Haris » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:14 pm

Cerlin wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

That’s true—if it doesn’t snow, we’ve still got a long winter with plenty of chances!! :lol:

But I don’t want to wait that long :grr: :cheesy:
3 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1456 Postby gboudx » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:14 pm

My youngest son has a soccer game in Plano at 8pm. I was hoping that if it was gonna rain, it would’ve started by now. But no. If it does rain, it’s gonna be wet and cold. Ugh.
0 likes   

SnowintheFalls
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1457 Postby SnowintheFalls » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:14 pm

It seems to have gotten quiet in here. I for one am looking forward to the colder weather! Looks like we should have our first freeze and potentially be in the 20's tomorrow night here in Wichita Falls. :cold:
1 likes   
There is no day like a snow day!

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1458 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:51 pm

Ntxw wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:

Yea, snow at DFW is really rare in November. I can only find 3 or 4 events in the record (depending on what data you look at) but the current setup does look similar to 11/2/51.
2 likes   

Captmorg70
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1459 Postby Captmorg70 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:58 pm

bubba hotep wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

Yea, snow at DFW is really rare in November. I can only find 3 or 4 events in the record (depending on what data you look at) but the current setup does look similar to 11/2/51.

Where do you find old storm data? I think that it snowed around my birthday, 11/15 about 20 years or so ago. But I’m not sure where to find old data like that. It was in Cooke county btw
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1460 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:09 pm

Captmorg70 wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

Where do you find old storm data? I think that it snowed around my birthday, 11/15 about 20 years or so ago. But I’m not sure where to find old data like that. It was in Cooke county btw

This is one of the more user friendly sites out there for viewing data https://xmacis.rcc-acis.org/
2 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”