Carolinas Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
FireRat
Category 2
Category 2

Carolinas Weather

#1 Postby FireRat » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi everyone, I figured this might be a great time to start a thread dedicated to the weather of South and North Carolina, especially now as we watch Hurricane Florence very closely! I'm in the central NC triangle region and looks like we're going to get tons of rain and wind from Florence if the current forecasts are correct. Those of you in the eastern Carolinas should be prepping now, this could be a big one!

Strange to see this coming and we just had the first cool weather day in a long time, the day was overcast and it's only 69 degrees at the moment in Chapel Hill. Going to be an extremely interesting weather week around these parts folks.
1 likes   
Lightning does strike Twice.

OiOya
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Carolinas Weather

#2 Postby OiOya » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:17 am

If nothing else, this storm may balance out the droughts we've had.
0 likes   

FireRat
Category 2
Category 2

#3 Postby FireRat » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:40 am

For real, we might witness one of the hugest rain events in the country's history, right up there with Harvey! Some models over in the hurricane threads for Florence call for 40+ inches of rain across many parts of the state, just unreal. After such a dry 2016 and 2017, we did have a drought especially Fall '16. This year's been quite wet and now might be the wettest ever if the Florence forecast pans out.
1 likes   

FireRat
Category 2
Category 2

#4 Postby FireRat » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Can you guys believe it, major hurricane now predicted to come ashore or near the NC coast and then parallel BOTH North and South Carolina coastlines as it moves southwest, so basically in reverse to the norm?!! This is madness! :double:
0 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 2
Category 2

#5 Postby CyclonicFury » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:58 pm

This warm pattern is getting old. I'm ready for some cooler weather once Florence is out of the picture!
1 likes   
NCSU meteorology student and weather blogger at www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

OiOya
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#6 Postby OiOya » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:37 pm

FireRat wrote:Can you guys believe it, major hurricane now predicted to come ashore or near the NC coast and then parallel BOTH North and South Carolina coastlines as it moves southwest, so basically in reverse to the norm?!! This is madness! :double:

I remember the prediction calling for that before, then smacking right into the entirety of the OBX. Now it's back to Wilmington/Myrtle Beach area, then it'll hang around my neck of the woods. I guess Florence wants to grab an honorary degree from FMU when she passes through. Bleh. :cry:
0 likes   

FireRat
Category 2
Category 2

#7 Postby FireRat » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:28 am

I'm ready for Fall too y'all :)

Looks like Flo really hit Wilmington and Myrtle Beach hard as forecast, and there are some incredible rainfall totals that continue adding up in nearby areas! Check out the rainfall totals as of Friday evening:

Hope you guys are faring OK during this event. Here in the Triangle we ended up getting a few heavy rainbands late Friday afternoon and evening with gusty winds. Gonna be a wet few days ahead!
0 likes   

FireRat
Category 2
Category 2

#8 Postby FireRat » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:03 am

Watching soon to be Hurricane Michael down in the Caribbean, he's forecast to strike the north gulf coast of Florida and potentially com this way as a weakening tropical storm...not good news at all after what many of us dealt with Florence! Looks like a stormy week coming up followed by much more Fall-like weather come around 10/13.

Michael is not to be underestimated, this storm will likely impact the Carolinas with wind and water around 10/10 to 10/12. Watch this storm closely fellow Carolineans.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”