Texas Spring 2019

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Spring 2019

#61 Postby Ntxw » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:11 pm

Haris wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:Why is it that all this crazy weather is firing off north and east of Texas the past few weeks and hardly anything firing off over us?

While I really want a good thunderstorm and even a little severe weather, we def need to be grateful and careful as well when wishing for severe weather (myself esp) .

Over 10 people have passed away today. Very sad. Yet, people are still complaining about not having their fav show on air during coverage! Such heartless souls out there![url]https://i.ibb.co/MgkqB5W/Screen-Shot-2019-03-03-at-6-06-00-PM.png [/url]

Very disheartening but it is dixie alley season. I'd bet hedge funds that's where most of the action is this Spring.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#62 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:36 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Haris wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:Why is it that all this crazy weather is firing off north and east of Texas the past few weeks and hardly anything firing off over us?

While I really want a good thunderstorm and even a little severe weather, we def need to be grateful and careful as well when wishing for severe weather (myself esp) .

Over 10 people have passed away today. Very sad. Yet, people are still complaining about not having their fav show on air during coverage! Such heartless souls out there![url]https://i.ibb.co/MgkqB5W/Screen-Shot-2019-03-03-at-6-06-00-PM.png [/url]

Very disheartening but it is dixie alley season. I'd bet hedge funds that's where most of the action is this Spring.

Why is that though? What’s causing everything to go off over there and not further back west?
1 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#63 Postby bubba hotep » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:40 pm

DFW already down to 30F
0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#64 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:43 pm

Wash, rinse, repeat. Same areas that have seen all the action will continue.

0 likes   

spencer817
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#65 Postby spencer817 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:03 pm

Really odd to me that Accuweather would say tornado alley is the hotspot this year, its been a long while since we've seen a busier year than Dixie. Saturday looking interesting though...
0 likes   
I'm going to go to school for this stuff :P

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#66 Postby Brent » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:08 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
Haris wrote:

Why is that though? What’s causing everything to go off over there and not further back west?

Their season peaks earlier than ours

Not that i wont deny last few years it never really shifted west

Horrible day east of us though if this is a sign its gonna be a busy spring
0 likes   
#neversummer

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#67 Postby 1900hurricane » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:14 pm

An El Nino pattern would actually favor tornado activity centered back to the west a bit. La Ninas are often the ones that go crazy to the east. The last notable El Nino year was 2015, which was rather active in the southern plains (although individual storms were rather grungy that year). El Ninos often get bad reps from storm chasers, but not all of it is founded. Sure, numbers may be a little depressed compared to La Ninas, but the tradeoff can be storms in the more chaser friendly high plans versus the forest laden southeast.
6 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#68 Postby Haris » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:26 pm

1900hurricane wrote:An El Nino pattern would actually favor tornado activity centered back to the west a bit. La Ninas are often the ones that go crazy to the east. The last notable El Nino year was 2015, which was rather active in the southern plains (although individual storms were rather grungy that year). El Ninos often get bad reps from storm chasers, but not all of it is founded. Sure, numbers may be a little depressed compared to La Ninas, but the tradeoff can be storms in the more chaser friendly high plans versus the forest laden southeast.

Agree
1 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#69 Postby Ntxw » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:33 pm

1900hurricane wrote:An El Nino pattern would actually favor tornado activity centered back to the west a bit. La Ninas are often the ones that go crazy to the east. The last notable El Nino year was 2015, which was rather active in the southern plains (although individual storms were rather grungy that year). El Ninos often get bad reps from storm chasers, but not all of it is founded. Sure, numbers may be a little depressed compared to La Ninas, but the tradeoff can be storms in the more chaser friendly high plans versus the forest laden southeast.

I see El Ninos (like 2015) as quantity over quality. There are notable out of season outbreaks (winter) that was flashy during El Ninos but it's the Ninas that offer some of the great chasing days (in particular moderate to strong Ninas). In Texas the Nino often can muddy conditions with a STJ. In addition the big -PNA jet streak Springs are more likely to occur with a La Nina as well as sufficient warming early Spring. If we were looking for a signature Spring event, we'd see a lot of warmth the next month or two.

Can we really name a significant risk day in Texas of late that produced something memorable?
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#70 Postby Cerlin » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:42 pm

Ntxw wrote:

I see El Ninos (like 2015) as quantity over quality. There are notable out of season outbreaks (winter) that was flashy during El Ninos but it's the Ninas that offer some of the great chasing days (in particular moderate to strong Ninas). In Texas the Nino often can muddy conditions with a STJ. In addition the big -PNA jet streak Springs are more likely to occur with a La Nina as well as sufficient warming early Spring. If we were looking for a signature Spring event, we'd see a lot of warmth the next month or two.

Can we really name a significant risk day in Texas of late that produced something memorable?

Last I can really think of that affected the DFW area was that Christmas of 2015 but I’m new to the severe weather scene.
0 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#71 Postby 1900hurricane » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:52 pm

Ntxw wrote:

I'd say the Canton area tornadoes from April 29th, 2017 personally, although my perception of the risk beforehand might be inflated because I was out chasing the event that day. It's been a hot minute though.

2 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#72 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:33 pm

The windchill here is 5. :cold:
2 likes   
#neversummer

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#73 Postby Brent » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:04 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:The windchill here is 5. :cold:

If its gonna be this cold it needs to snow :froze:
2 likes   
#neversummer

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#74 Postby bubba hotep » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:17 pm

DFW is down to 28F, record is 20F?? Record low high for tomorrow is 35F. Can we break the record low and record low high?
0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

hamburgerman7070
Category 1
Category 1

#75 Postby hamburgerman7070 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:50 pm

Brent wrote:

Brent, winter is over buddy. The weak niño wasnt setup to produce cold and snow for us. Tropical forcing wasnt setup properly for us.
0 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#76 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:11 pm

Brent wrote:

I enjoy the really cold temps just as much as snow. Fortunately winter up here was pretty decent this year. 2 icing events and 2 snows, one a dusting and one 2-3”. I’d be an ass if I complained any about it especially with other areas getting the shaft again for another year.
1 likes   
#neversummer

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#77 Postby Brent » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:15 pm

We really suck at snow this year

Flurries are being reported in Alabama now :roll:

hamburgerman7070 wrote:
Brent wrote:

Brent, winter is over buddy. The weak niño wasnt setup to produce cold and snow for us. Tropical forcing wasnt setup properly for us.

honestly I thought winter was over weeks ago but this cold annoys me when there's nothing to show for it
1 likes   
#neversummer

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#78 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:21 am

Windchill now at 0.
Edit - Windchill at -5 at 6:15 AM. 3/4/19
Last edited by Yukon Cornelius on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 likes   
#neversummer

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#79 Postby Haris » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:50 am

Im 30F now. Windchill 19F. Most models had 36-37 right now.
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#80 Postby Cpv17 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:56 am

Haris wrote:Im 30F now. Windchill 19F. Most models had 36-37 right now.

The cold has had a really hard time getting into southeast Texas. I’m about 2 and a half hours SE of you and we’re only at 42 here. Normally, you’re only about 5 degrees colder than me.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”