Texas Spring 2019

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
missygirl810
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Texas Spring 2019

#461 Postby missygirl810 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:34 pm

Hailing pretty good now in Celeste.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#462 Postby Brent » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:17 am

storms now moving into most of DFW :lol: big storms around the airport

Tornado Warning near Sulphur Springs
1 likes   
#neversummer

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#463 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:43 am

Brent wrote:storms now moving into most of DFW :lol: big storms around the airport

Tornado Warning near Sulphur Springs

Was about go hit the hay then it started pouring. Some pea size hail started coming down but thank God it quickly went away.
2 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#464 Postby 1900hurricane » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:32 am

0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#465 Postby CaptinCrunch » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:55 am

All I got here (I-20/287) area was a little thunder in the distance and some lite rain around 11pm, lasted maybe 10 min.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#466 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:09 am

Sprinkling here at work this morning. Cars all wet. Kind of a surprise.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#467 Postby Portastorm » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:50 am

A very depressing 10-day forecast for south central Texas. We get drier by the moment and even the drought monitor for the state is showing increasing drought levels in south Texas. So much for these "wet" spring forecasts some of you have shared. :roll:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#468 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:10 am

Portastorm wrote:A very depressing 10-day forecast for south central Texas. We get drier by the moment and even the drought monitor for the state is showing increasing drought levels in south Texas. So much for these "wet" spring forecasts some of you have shared. :roll:

Very frustrating around here lately Porta. Arctic Thunder and I have realized that a ridge over the Gulf is preventing us from entering into a wetter pattern (this is due to warmer than normal water here). We still think the pattern will become wetter in April, but confidence is definitely decreasing. We really need to break out of this dry rut quick or else it won't be pretty...
1 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#469 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:18 am

South Texas Storms wrote:
Portastorm wrote:A very depressing 10-day forecast for south central Texas. We get drier by the moment and even the drought monitor for the state is showing increasing drought levels in south Texas. So much for these "wet" spring forecasts some of you have shared. :roll:

Very frustrating around here lately Porta. Arctic Thunder and I have realized that a ridge over the Gulf is preventing us from entering into a wetter pattern (this is due to warmer than normal water here). We still think the pattern will become wetter in April, but confidence is definitely decreasing. We really need to break out of this dry rut quick or else it won't be pretty...

When was the last time we had a decent, beneficial rain around here? January I'm thinking (?). February and a lot of March had foggy/misty mornings, but nothing much rain-wise. I had an inkling (noticing it hadn't rained much) that it would eventually catch up with us. I think most of us (me included) had this sense of security that it was drizzling/misting/foggy, therefore we are okay moisture-wise. But, yard has gone from mud to cracks in the last month. :roll: I'm going to need to turn back on my sprinkler system which has been off since October, just to manage the cracks, since mother nature doesn't seem to be helping at the moment.

This pattern would be excellent for cloud seeding over the lakes and aquifers. We could also get one of those machines that condenses moisture out of the air (like the military used in the middle east for the troops for drinking water), and use it on our yards/homes. :P
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

hriverajr
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#470 Postby hriverajr » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:46 am

Whats new? The dry pattern has been in place for the most part in SW Texas.. it's simply starting to spread east. Models and teleconnections were terrible in their verification for the winter and continue to be so here into the spring. The only good thing is less severe storms means less chance of solar, roof and weather station damage.. at least for us. The weather is is just getting weird hehe
2 likes   
Anything I post is my personal opinion and should not used for any type of planning or lifesaving reasons. Please refer to National Weather Service forecasts.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#471 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:08 pm

12z Euro & EPS are threatening another freeze at DFW ...
4 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#472 Postby Brent » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:30 pm

bubba hotep wrote:12z Euro & EPS are threatening another freeze at DFW ...

:roflmao:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#473 Postby Haris » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:32 pm

Per my research, for Austin at least, past dry March months tell me that it does not always mean a dry april or may.

Like 1916 esp
3 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#474 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:28 pm

Looks like yesterday's hail storm in Collin County may be 300-500m expense. These 500m-1b dollar hail storms/events are increasingly becoming an annual thing across the DFW metroplex. It seems like every year somewhere will get some giant stones annually...of course we all pay for it even though individual claims don't increase insurance, however for the region as a whole all of us gets the slightly higher premiums than other places to recover those losses! OKC and DFW is probably clear favorites as expensive Hail Capital metros :lol:.
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#475 Postby Brent » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:31 am

the GFS has Dallas around 40 with some 30s away from the metro with a cold rain at mid afternoon on April Fools Day

The coldest high ever in April is 40 and for April 1st is a whopping 53

now the Euro so far as mentioned earlier would be a really cold morning(near freezing) but a sunny afternoon and not nearly as anomalous cold
3 likes   
#neversummer

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#476 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:24 am

Ntxw wrote:Looks like yesterday's hail storm in Collin County may be 300-500m expense. These 500m-1b dollar hail storms/events are increasingly becoming an annual thing across the DFW metroplex. It seems like every year somewhere will get some giant stones annually...of course we all pay for it even though individual claims don't increase insurance, however for the region as a whole all of us gets the slightly higher premiums than other places to recover those losses! OKC and DFW is probably clear favorites as expensive Hail Capital metros :lol:.

I think part of that is the population explosion in these areas that used to be way out in the country, and the subsequent weather reporting of these events more often, especially with how everyone is connected via smart devices. The big hail events have always been there, but now there are a lot more people per square mile that have more personal property that can get damaged and documented real-time, versus hailing way out in the country where some trees get damaged and wildlife gets bruised, that you may or may not ever see or hear about.
2 likes   

lukem
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#477 Postby lukem » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:40 am

The 6Z GFS is showing crazy rain for much of Texas on April 4th-April 11th (especially east Texas). I'm not getting my hopes up since we have seen many of these systems dry up as they get closer to fruition, but at least we have something to watch again.
3 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#478 Postby CaptinCrunch » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:27 am

My homeowners insurance has gone up each of the last 4 yrs by $60-$80, which leads to a increase in my mortgage. :grr:

I saw video on YouTube of the hail in Frisco and McKinney, just crazy stuff.
0 likes   

Lagreeneyes03
Category 1
Category 1

#479 Postby Lagreeneyes03 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:54 am

Brent wrote:the GFS has Dallas around 40 with some 30s away from the metro with a cold rain at mid afternoon on April Fools Day

The coldest high ever in April is 40 and for April 1st is a whopping 53

now the Euro so far as mentioned earlier would be a really cold morning(near freezing) but a sunny afternoon and not nearly as anomalous cold

If that foolery should happen, I expect an 80 degree Christmas season as retaliation.
0 likes   
I'm a Princess, not a forecaster.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#480 Postby Ntxw » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:54 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Looks like yesterday's hail storm in Collin County may be 300-500m expense. These 500m-1b dollar hail storms/events are increasingly becoming an annual thing across the DFW metroplex. It seems like every year somewhere will get some giant stones annually...of course we all pay for it even though individual claims don't increase insurance, however for the region as a whole all of us gets the slightly higher premiums than other places to recover those losses! OKC and DFW is probably clear favorites as expensive Hail Capital metros :lol:.

I think part of that is the population explosion in these areas that used to be way out in the country, and the subsequent weather reporting of these events more often, especially with how everyone is connected via smart devices. The big hail events have always been there, but now there are a lot more people per square mile that have more personal property that can get damaged and documented real-time, versus hailing way out in the country where some trees get damaged and wildlife gets bruised, that you may or may not ever see or hear about.

This is part of the equation. But also even in the central core (Dallas/Tarrant) counties have always been densely populated. Aside from the boom and cost, the frequency of greater than 2" hail seems to be increasing. So the larger stones hitting the core areas are occuring at a more frequent rate it seems. Some of the largest hail stones in region have been recorded within the past decade.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”