Texas Spring 2019

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Spring 2019

#21 Postby 1900hurricane » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:10 am

1 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby 1900hurricane » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:11 am

1 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby gpsnowman » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:24 am

This winter has truly dampened spirits around here, including mine at times. A season of perpetual teases and non events will do that. Take this next cold front for example. Cold of this magnitude, the coldest of winter, would normally create some serious buzz on these pages. Now March is here and without any of the frozen stuff the next system is just kind of ho hum. Carry on nothing to see here. My lonely sliver of hope remaining tells me wrap around flurries will be possible. My hardened sense of reality tells me to wait until next winter. Enjoy the cold Sunday and Monday winter lovers, next season will bring another round of hope.
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#24 Postby wxman57 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:49 am

We had a "Seattle winter" in Houston. Haven't seen the sun much since October. There were 20 rain days (and cold) in November and 18 last month. Rain and 30s-40s-50s all winter. More miserable than cold and sunny. One last gasp of winter tomorrow-Wed (just cold and dry for us all) then bring on spring and some sunshine! :sun:
2 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby Cpv17 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:52 am

wxman57 wrote:We had a "Seattle winter" in Houston. Haven't seen the sun much since October. There were 20 rain days (and cold) in November and 18 last month. Rain and 30s-40s-50s all winter. More miserable than cold and sunny. One last gasp of winter tomorrow-Wed (just cold and dry for us all) then bring on spring and some sunshine! :sun:

There’s another front after this one. Temps look to be below normal for the next couple weeks.
1 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby rwfromkansas » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:07 pm

I am mad seeing my parents having their first above normal snowfall winter in Kansas in years just a good 6 hours north (will probably end with 26-28 inches), yet we can't buy a flurry here. Honestly, I would be happy with flurries. But, not even enough moisture for that.

The way this is going, expect a crappy dry spring with no severe weather, then a hot dry summer, then lots of rain in fall to make up for it, but no severe weather. Then a dry winter. lol
Last edited by rwfromkansas on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:09 pm

Boo this thread!
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#28 Postby wxman57 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:13 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
wxman57 wrote:We had a "Seattle winter" in Houston. Haven't seen the sun much since October. There were 20 rain days (and cold) in November and 18 last month. Rain and 30s-40s-50s all winter. More miserable than cold and sunny. One last gasp of winter tomorrow-Wed (just cold and dry for us all) then bring on spring and some sunshine! :sun:

There’s another front after this one. Temps look to be below normal for the next couple weeks.

Next weekend looks nice and warm - for cycling.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#29 Postby Ntxw » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:33 pm

The past 2-3 days has been a good example of model reliance in forecasting is not always the best. That a forecaster's skills is also necessary. Modelology should not be in lieu of a forecaster's ability to use it as a tool and not as gospel. In a world now where maps and data is numerous and so readily available many forget the old ways. The winds at DFW shifted briefly ESE yesterday that climbed up to the mid 40s. It's since reverted back to the northerly component. We probably won't warm up much more before colder air filters in from the North with the stronger front. It likely won't be the drastic drop due to the fact the surface air is still relatively cold already but will fall at a steady pace.

There is an inherit problem with guidance sometimes disconnecting upper flow from dense surface shallow cold. This has been one of the more dramatic cases where the departure between the two was larger than usual. Didn't get snow out of it, may not but it is something to think about in future when making calls based solely on model runs.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:49 pm

Looking like Monday morning windchills could be 0 or into the negatives. :D :cold:
1 likes   
#neversummer

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby Haris » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:54 pm

Ntxw wrote:The past 2-3 days has been a good example of model reliance in forecasting is not always the best. That a forecaster's skills is also necessary. Modelology should not be in lieu of a forecaster's ability to use it as a tool and not as gospel. In a world now where maps and data is numerous and so readily available many forget the old ways. The winds at DFW shifted briefly ESE yesterday that climbed up to the mid 40s. It's since reverted back to the northerly component. We probably won't warm up much more before colder air filters in from the North with the stronger front. It likely won't be the drastic drop due to the fact the surface air is still relatively cold already but will fall at a steady pace.

There is an inherit problem with guidance sometimes disconnecting upper flow from dense surface shallow cold. This has been one of the more dramatic cases where the departure between the two was larger than usual. Didn't get snow out of it, may not but it is something to think about in future when making calls based solely on model runs.

Ntxw, why didnt the -SOI bring us any rain?
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#32 Postby Ntxw » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:09 pm

Haris wrote:
Ntxw wrote:The past 2-3 days has been a good example of model reliance in forecasting is not always the best. That a forecaster's skills is also necessary. Modelology should not be in lieu of a forecaster's ability to use it as a tool and not as gospel. In a world now where maps and data is numerous and so readily available many forget the old ways. The winds at DFW shifted briefly ESE yesterday that climbed up to the mid 40s. It's since reverted back to the northerly component. We probably won't warm up much more before colder air filters in from the North with the stronger front. It likely won't be the drastic drop due to the fact the surface air is still relatively cold already but will fall at a steady pace.

Ntxw, why didnt the -SOI bring us any rain?

The Tennessee Valley took the brunt of the STJ rains. Displaced to Arkansas, MS, TN, and AL. We got some over-performing events in coastal Texas by extension, but the rest of Texas largely got the persistent cloud cover instead. The 30 and 90 day SOI will continue to fall so perhaps we may still see some.

My guess would be that during the -SOI burst we saw several bouts of shallow, cold air intrusions limiting the true heavy rains. The second half of Feb was quite chilly down the plains.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby Brent » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:25 pm

rwfromkansas wrote:I am mad seeing my parents having their first above normal snowfall winter in Kansas in years just a good 6 hours north (will probably end with 26-28 inches), yet we can't buy a flurry here. Honestly, I would be happy with flurries. But, not even enough moisture for that.

The way this is going, expect a crappy dry spring with no severe weather, then a hot dry summer, then lots of rain in fall to make up for it, but no severe weather. Then a dry winter. lol

just a really annoying winter overall, why I am not sad to see it go, and this last cold snap is just such a final waste with zero precip to show for it
2 likes   
#neversummer

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby gboudx » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:27 pm

Major North-South road in Rockwall has been pre-treated. Surest sign that there will be no wintry precip.
4 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#35 Postby Ralph's Weather » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:32 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:Looking like Monday morning windchills could be 0 or into the negatives. :D :cold:

Even E TX will likely see sub 10 wind chills. It should easily be the coldest air of the year, but likely to rival last January's temps though wind chills will be similar.
1 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#36 Postby Ntxw » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:43 pm

rwfromkansas wrote:I am mad seeing my parents having their first above normal snowfall winter in Kansas in years just a good 6 hours north (will probably end with 26-28 inches), yet we can't buy a flurry here. Honestly, I would be happy with flurries. But, not even enough moisture for that.

Severe weather seasons after or during an ongoing Spring El Nino generally are not all that active. Plus decadal trends are on the decrease. Being in the So Plains naturally you will have some days but overall it should be below normal acitvity.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby Cpv17 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:55 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

Next weekend looks nice and warm - for cycling.

Next weekend looks kinda warm (mainly Saturday), but also could be wet.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#38 Postby Cpv17 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:39 pm

The Euro finally looks a lil bit more favorable for rainfall across Texas! About time! Now watch the next run lose it lol
0 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby Haris » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:19 pm

Cpv17 wrote:The Euro finally looks a lil bit more favorable for rainfall across Texas! About time! Now watch the next run lose it lol

The ensembles are trending much wetter too.

ECM showing severe weather threats too. One run but the signs are nice
2 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby aggiecutter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:46 pm

Ntxw wrote:

Severe weather seasons after or during an ongoing Spring El Nino generally are not all that active. Plus decadal trends are on the decrease. Being in the So Plains naturally you will have some days but overall it should be below normal acitvity.

Accuweather thinks it will be a very active severe weather season in the traditional areas known as Tornado Alley: Kansas, Texas and Oklahoma.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather- ... r/70007449

0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”