Texas Summer 2019

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
lukem
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Texas Summer 2019

#161 Postby lukem » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:15 am

Forecasted high in Midland today is 67. That has to be a record!
4 likes   

WacoWx
Category 2
Category 2

#162 Postby WacoWx » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:57 am

It looked like a bomb went off in Dallas yesterday. At Mockingbird and Skillman, we had probably 25 limbs down, including the neighbors pecan tree on our fence (which also snapped the power lines and in still entangled). I went up to the neighborhood where we are moving at Royal and Abrams, and it is much worse there. Massive trees snapped in half (~2') covering all east/west streets in this neighborhood. Every one I tried was impassible. Multiple house lost all north facing windows.

We have been told 8p tonight for power, but I think that is very optimistic. Searching for gas yesterday, along with everyone else after the storm in the affected areas, was a battle. A lot of vary impatient people losing their cool. It was a scene.
0 likes   

ColdFusion
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#163 Postby ColdFusion » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:16 am

In the 10+ years I've lived in North Dallas, this is easily the most damage I've seen in my area.

WacoWx wrote:It looked like a bomb went off in Dallas yesterday. At Mockingbird and Skillman, we had probably 25 limbs down, including the neighbors pecan tree on our fence (which also snapped the power lines and in still entangled). I went up to the neighborhood where we are moving at Royal and Abrams, and it is much worse there. Massive trees snapped in half (~2') covering all east/west streets in this neighborhood. Every one I tried was impassible. Multiple house lost all north facing windows.

We have been told 8p tonight for power, but I think that is very optimistic. Searching for gas yesterday, along with everyone else after the storm in the affected areas, was a battle. A lot of vary impatient people losing their cool. It was a scene.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#164 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:38 am

ColdFusion wrote:In the 10+ years I've lived in North Dallas, this is easily the most damage I've seen in my area.

WacoWx wrote:It looked like a bomb went off in Dallas yesterday. At Mockingbird and Skillman, we had probably 25 limbs down, including the neighbors pecan tree on our fence (which also snapped the power lines and in still entangled). I went up to the neighborhood where we are moving at Royal and Abrams, and it is much worse there. Massive trees snapped in half (~2') covering all east/west streets in this neighborhood. Every one I tried was impassible. Multiple house lost all north facing windows.

I think the record rainy period since last Fall (6-10 month period) really set up this event especially with the foliage. Can you remember going into a June with such extensive green foliage? This kind of tree damage occurs in the heavily wooded areas of the northeast and east coast when wind storms like what occured passes by. In North Texas it is usually not this kind of widespread, despite 40-70mph wind storms not that unusual.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

WacoWx
Category 2
Category 2

#165 Postby WacoWx » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:10 am

Good point. One of our trees which is basically just the trunk now, was fruiting pretty heavily.
0 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#166 Postby rwfromkansas » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:25 am

Sounds more like 85 mph winds than 70.

We had a roll cloud come through my neighborhood as a kid and brought wind gusts over 80. It was stunning to see.

Side note: driving up there still were bluebonnets going strong. I think they usually wilt by now.
0 likes   

WeatherNewbie
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#167 Postby WeatherNewbie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:26 am

Ntxw wrote:
ColdFusion wrote:In the 10+ years I've lived in North Dallas, this is easily the most damage I've seen in my area.

I think the record rainy period since last Fall (6-10 month period) really set up this event especially with the foliage. Can you remember going into a June with such extensive green foliage? This kind of tree damage occurs in the heavily wooded areas of the northeast and east coast when wind storms like what occured passes by. In North Texas it is usually not this kind of widespread, despite 40-70mph wind storms not that unusual.

Is it possible we got hit with a microburst, or was it just straight-line winds? The storm seemed to pass through Plano with minimal damage, but everything south of Arapaho got walloped.
0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

WacoWx
Category 2
Category 2

#168 Postby WacoWx » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:54 am

Definitely straight-line winds.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#169 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:28 pm

WeatherNewbie wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

Is it possible we got hit with a microburst, or was it just straight-line winds? The storm seemed to pass through Plano with minimal damage, but everything south of Arapaho got walloped.

Or combination of both maybe. The outflow was really starting to be defined once it hit the northern counties and peaked ahead in Dallas county. Also didn't help the area effected is some of the most densely populated.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#170 Postby Haris » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:38 pm

Confirmed tornado in Liberty Hill, Texas in Williamson County. 1” of rain here officially. June total well past 3”.

Shelf and lightning pics
4 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#171 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Monday, June 10, 2019 and the air conditioner has not clicked on once on this normally hot summer day. Clouds are scarce, humidity hardly felt. Winds from the north make the day feel pleasant, like a late September evening. Barely a bead of perspiration has formed on the normally sweaty skin on this anomalous cool afternoon. Most Texans would consider all this a bunch of impossible and fictional nonsense but it is the truth I tell you!!!!! What a beautiful day in North Texas. Enjoy today and tomorrow folks, I know I will.
4 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#172 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:10 pm

Ntxw wrote:
WeatherNewbie wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

Or combination of both maybe. The outflow was really starting to be defined once it hit the northern counties and peaked ahead in Dallas county. Also didn't help the area effected is some of the most densely populated.

Looks like a micoburst.

http://wapo.st/2rICZ9Y?tid=ss_fb&utm_term=.0179e444e755

Just found out this was from 2017. Tried to delete it. Got tagged in a FB post about it with DFWs storms Sunday. Ah well.
Last edited by weatherdude1108 on Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#173 Postby Brent » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:25 pm

Ntxw wrote:
WeatherNewbie wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

Yeah in the radar loop the structure definitely changes as it approaches Love Field theres like a split and a weaker portion goes towards DFW airport and the segment moving into downtown really looks more intense

Oh and this weather is amazing. It didn't even feel warm just now like it usually does
2 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#174 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:05 am

Euro shows another trough swinging through next week. More chances for rain and cooler temperatures after the weekend.
3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#175 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:59 am

It's June 11th in the Houston Metro Area.... and it feels like Fall.

My heart almost stopped from pure joy this morning.
3 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

lukem
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#176 Postby lukem » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:21 am

ThunderSleetDreams wrote:It's June 11th in the Houston Metro Area.... and it feels like Fall.

I had to wear a light jacket in Midland yesterday. Didn't get out of the 60's. I was actually cold on my way to work!
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#177 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:36 am

ThunderSleetDreams wrote:It's June 11th in the Houston Metro Area.... and it feels like Fall.

I didn’t notice that much of a difference this morning where I am. It was about 73 at 7am in Wharton..2 hours south of you.
0 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#178 Postby Ralph's Weather » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:39 am

It was 64 at my house this morning, Tomorrow morning could touch the upper 50s.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#179 Postby wxman57 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:53 pm

Who's responsible for this horribly cold June weather? ;-)
0 likes   

Nederlander
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#180 Postby Nederlander » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:33 pm

wxman57 wrote:Who's responsible for this horribly cold June weather? ;-)

Your wall has been breached my friend! :thermo:
1 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”