Texas Summer 2020

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Summer 2020

#321 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:52 pm

Seeing lightning in distance. Rumbles of thunder.west and north of my location. (I'm in Little Elm.)
2 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#322 Postby Brent » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:29 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:Seeing lightning in distance. Rumbles of thunder.west and north of my location. (I'm in Little Elm.)

Pretty decent line moving in

edit watching Isaias shockingly blow up and now I have a lot of thunder and lightning :lol:
0 likes   
#neversummer

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#323 Postby weatherdude1108 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:49 pm

Brent wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:Seeing lightning in distance. Rumbles of thunder.west and north of my location. (I'm in Little Elm.)

Pretty decent line moving in

edit watching Isaias shockingly blow up and now I have a lot of thunder and lightning :lol:

We got a lot of lightning and loud crashes of thunder a few times. Shook our rental.lol. Our dog whimpered and got scared. Nice heavy downpours.

The rumbles lasted a while! The storms felt different in that sense from what I'm used to in Austin, with the rumbles.lol
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#324 Postby Haris » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:05 pm

Big time storms moving through Austin. Flooding and power outages due to the lightning. Over 2” in many areas. :double: :D
3 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#325 Postby weatherdude1108 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:08 pm

Haris wrote:Big time storms moving through Austin. Flooding and power outages due to the lightning. Over 2” in many areas. :double: :D

I was checking the RING at my place, and streets look dry(??). Contrary to what radar showed. Maybe virga? Ugh.
0 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#326 Postby Haris » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:39 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
Haris wrote:Big time storms moving through Austin. Flooding and power outages due to the lightning. Over 2” in many areas. :double: :D

I was checking the RING at my place, and streets look dry(??). Contrary to what radar showed. Maybe virga? Ugh.

Sorry to hear. It was move focused in the central and southern portions of the metro so that is probably why.
2 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#327 Postby bubba hotep » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:03 pm

Of course, seasonal in August for Texas is hot but not a strong signal for heatwaves :notworthy:

2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#328 Postby Brent » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:19 am

bubba hotep wrote:Of course, seasonal in August for Texas is hot but not a strong signal for heatwaves :notworthy:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EeTJzemU8AEQTy9?format=png&name=small

not bad for the start of the final month of met summer... :D
1 likes   
#neversummer

cstrunk
Category 1
Category 1

#329 Postby cstrunk » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:45 am

Storms with the cold front brought about 1.05" in about 30 minutes to my yard in Longview yesterday. Some good thunder and lightning too.

Glad we got it, forecast looks drier for a while.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#330 Postby Ntxw » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:23 pm

We do need some rain. All in all to start August 90s isn't too bad. Easily well over 100 most years.

July came to a close with about normal in the northern half of the state. It was hotter than normal in Central and S Texas.

1 more meteorological summer month to go and we're done! Next month, September, brings hope.
5 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#331 Postby JDawg512 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:49 pm

Haris wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:

Sorry to hear. It was move focused in the central and southern portions of the metro so that is probably why.

It sure was. We had a lightning strike hit a tree around the corner from the rain cave. AFD blocked the street while they worked on clearing the street. The trunk was splintered. July ended with 2.12 inches here at the cave, less than half an inch of that was from Hanna.
2 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#332 Postby South Texas Storms » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:14 am

My least favorite month of the year is here. Hoping for the most bearable weather we can reasonably expect in August, which isn't much :lol: .
2 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#333 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:02 am

South Texas Storms wrote:My least favorite month of the year is here. Hoping for the most bearable weather we can reasonably expect in August, which isn't much :lol: .

Boring weather pattern looks to be coming up over the next couple weeks, if not longer than that.
0 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#334 Postby JDawg512 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:11 pm

Some storms have developed over Austin this afternoon. Getting some cloud to ground strikes similar to day before yesterday, although not as intense as it was Friday. Good downpour. Will take as much as we can.
1 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#335 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:45 pm

JDawg512 wrote:Some storms have developed over Austin this afternoon. Getting some cloud to ground strikes similar to day before yesterday, although not as intense as it was Friday. Good downpour. Will take as much as we can.

I had a couple of thundershowers this morning. Didn't expect anything. 10% chance. Very nice! I got about 0.2".

I hand watered dry areas early this morning. So a good supplement. ;)
1 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#336 Postby Portastorm » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:29 am

weatherdude1108 wrote:
JDawg512 wrote:Some storms have developed over Austin this afternoon. Getting some cloud to ground strikes similar to day before yesterday, although not as intense as it was Friday. Good downpour. Will take as much as we can.

I had a couple of thundershowers this morning. Didn't expect anything. 10% chance. Very nice! I got about 0.2".

I hand watered dry areas early this morning. So a good supplement. ;)

I have been fortunate in my location in picking up about 1.3" on Friday and than another .2" yesterday. Concur with JDawg ... will take it whenever we can get it. :D
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#337 Postby dhweather » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:23 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
South Texas Storms wrote:My least favorite month of the year is here. Hoping for the most bearable weather we can reasonably expect in August, which isn't much :lol: .

Boring weather pattern looks to be coming up over the next couple weeks, if not longer than that.

Just wait for a CAT 5 IN THE GULF !!!! That will get things going. :lol: :lol: :lol:
2 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#338 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:13 pm

Buckle up folks, hot weather returns next wekend and beyond. Just in time for the peak of summer averages. It's supposed to be very hot anyway so I'm not concerned. Rain will return and temps will fall in a few weeks. Fall is near!!
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#339 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:01 pm

101 earlier today. Now pouring. I love it! :D :rain: :lightning: :rain:
1 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#340 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:22 pm

I guess Mother Nature figures I have had enough rain over the weekend because only getting a light amount with the majority moving in dissipated. Of course more storms forming in Bastrop. Well I guess I'll be going into hibernation for the foreseeable future tomorrow...
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”