Great Plains, Midwest, & Deep South Storm Season 2021

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Great Plains, Midwest, & Deep South Storm Season 2021

#141 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:38 pm

Brandon8181 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
Brandon8181 wrote:Good evening,

I'm just getting back in to Storm spotting after family and kids giving me a three year break. Could anyone share the best web sites for Severe weather storms as far as MODELS, RADAR, SATELLITE, ETC...everything I would need for Tornado season please. Thank you so much!

Models:

Radar:
https://www.news9.com/national-radar
(You can put in your own location & it will keep it for you.)

Satellite:
https://www.windy.com/
(To find the Satellite on Windy: Radar & Satellite :rarrow: Satellite)
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/
https://zoom.earth/ (NOTE: Can be up to 30 minutes behind, but very useful for close-up imagery)

(And either way, Welcome Back! :D )

I really like that Windy website!

Man, thank you so much. I am SO excited. I haven't went all out like this in a long time. I'm working on putting together my chase vehicle... you would like it! More to follow................. :)

Yeah, 2019 was AMPED with Tornadoes in Oklahoma, with 105 tornadoes in the Month of May alone! :eek:

I've never seen a tornado looking outside, but being in Oklahoma for several years, the odds of never seeing one is UNREAL! (Considering 2 very close calls in May 2010 & May 2016 . . .)

(And Your Welcome on the sites I gave you. :wink: )
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#142 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:49 pm

Brandon8181 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
Brandon8181 wrote:Good evening,

I'm just getting back in to Storm spotting after family and kids giving me a three year break. Could anyone share the best web sites for Severe weather storms as far as MODELS, RADAR, SATELLITE, ETC...everything I would need for Tornado season please. Thank you so much!

Models:

Radar:

Satellite:
https://zoom.earth/ (NOTE: Can be up to 30 minutes behind, but very useful for close-up imagery)

Man, thank you so much. I am SO excited. I haven't went all out like this in a long time. I'm working on putting together my chase vehicle... you would like it! More to follow................. :)

Man I haven't chased yet but I want to start hopefully in the next few years. Looking forward to it though whenever I do start. :D
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#143 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:56 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
Brandon8181 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
Models:

Radar:

Satellite:

Yeah, 2019 was AMPED with Tornadoes in Oklahoma, with 105 tornadoes in the Month of May alone! :eek:

I've never seen a tornado looking outside, but being in Oklahoma for several years, the odds of never seeing one is UNREAL! (Considering 2 very close calls in May 2010 & May 2016 . . .)

Yeah 2019 had some intense moments at my house. Had a near miss to the NW on 4/30, and had a tor warning on 5/20, 5/21, and then 5/22 was just absolute insanity with about 4 separate circulations passing very close/directly overhead. I thought we were going to get hit for sure. Definitely the most intense I've experienced so far. I have not seen a tornado in person yet but I came close on 3/30/2016, the funnel passed behind a curtain of rain shortly before it produced an EF2 in north Tulsa.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#144 Postby cheezyWXguy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:47 am

Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
Brandon8181 wrote:

Yeah 2019 had some intense moments at my house. Had a near miss to the NW on 4/30, and had a tor warning on 5/20, 5/21, and then 5/22 was just absolute insanity with about 4 separate circulations passing very close/directly overhead. I thought we were going to get hit for sure. Definitely the most intense I've experienced so far. I have not seen a tornado in person yet but I came close on 3/30/2016, the funnel passed behind a curtain of rain shortly before it produced an EF2 in north Tulsa.

My first tornado was the Dallas ef3 in Oct 2019 just a couple miles north of me. Watched the whole thing from the top of my parking garage. As it moved away 2 smaller tornadoes formed south of the original and there were actually three on the ground at the same time! Crazy first experience, I’ll never forget the unreal lightning show that night either.
1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#145 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:59 am

Marginal Risk in the Northern end of Dixie Alley Tomorrow

Threats are Quarter Sized Hail & 65 mph wind gusts . . .
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#146 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:49 am

I have seen two. Both were EF0. I have heard an Ef4 that blew through in 2011 in extreme northwest GA/Alabama/Tennessee border. I was up at my grandparents then.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#147 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:53 am

InfernoFlameCat wrote:I have seen two. Both were EF0. I have heard an Ef4 that blew through in 2011 in extreme northwest GA/Alabama/Tennessee border. I was up at my grandparents then.

My mother has seen the Shawnee EF4 in 2013 while on the way home from Tecumseh, but she is more "groovy" on seeing tornadoes . . . Her first one was a rope tornado in Missouri in 1990s (Exact date unknown)

(Also, I've never seen a tornado in my life, & I REALLY hope that stays like that, but it's very unlikely that it will keep going for a few more years living in the Tornado Captial of the World (Oklahoma) . . . )
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#148 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:00 am

cheezyWXguy wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

My first tornado was the Dallas ef3 in Oct 2019 just a couple miles north of me. Watched the whole thing from the top of my parking garage. As it moved away 2 smaller tornadoes formed south of the original and there were actually three on the ground at the same time! Crazy first experience, I’ll never forget the unreal lightning show that night either.

Yeah, on the "Tornadoes of 2019" video by Pecos Hank, he has seen only up to 2 on the ground at once in Dallas, you were extremely lucky to see 3 at once . . .

I JUST remembered a EXTREMELY CLOSE call from May 2015, a Supercell had the mesocyclone very low to the ground (nearly as low as the trees!) & passed to the east by just 1-2 miles away! It produced a Tornado when it was to the East & killed our power . . .
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#149 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:11 am

Iceresistance wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:Yeah 2019 had some intense moments at my house. Had a near miss to the NW on 4/30, and had a tor warning on 5/20, 5/21, and then 5/22 was just absolute insanity with about 4 separate circulations passing very close/directly overhead. I thought we were going to get hit for sure. Definitely the most intense I've experienced so far. I have not seen a tornado in person yet but I came close on 3/30/2016, the funnel passed behind a curtain of rain shortly before it produced an EF2 in north Tulsa.

Yeah, on the "Tornadoes of 2019" video by Pecos Hank, he has seen only up to 2 on the ground at once in Dallas, you were extremely lucky to see 3 at once . . .

I JUST remembered a EXTREMELY CLOSE call from May 2015, a Supercell had the mesocyclone very low to the ground (nearly as low as the trees!) & passed to the east by just 1-2 miles away! It produced a Tornado when it was to the East & killed our power . . .
I love watching pecos Hank. He makes great music and awesome storm footage. He is also rather fond of dung beetles for some reason.
2 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#150 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:13 am

I would like to see another tornado. I had three blow through my county last year. I didn't see them; they were at night.
0 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#151 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:18 am

Also, tornadoes look way better in person than on video. Like you can see idk, more. Even though they were Ef0, they looked neat. One was an undefined spinning translucent dirt column and the other was a rope tornado.
0 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#152 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:13 am

Our first proper severe system is soon to form
0 likes   

Brandon8181
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#153 Postby Brandon8181 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:21 pm

Does anyone know anything about Skyroam mobile internet? The reviews on it are mixed.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist. Any post from me should be taken as hobby or fun educational information, but not an accurate source for weather information. Please, refer to your local weather station or National Weather Service for the most up to date information. :flag:

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#154 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:50 pm

Convection is developing in SW Oklahoma & in Northern Texas from I-35 West to Abilene & north to the western edge of the OK/TX border at the Red River
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#155 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:25 pm

If the 18z GFS is to be believed, March 4 looks like a day to watch for the plains. Long range of course so it will likely change. 0z run starts soon so we'll see if it's still there.
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#156 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:54 am

March 4 with the dew points over 64 and moderate to strong wind shear. Looks like a potential outbreak(small scale)
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#157 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:21 am

InfernoFlameCat wrote:March 4 with the dew points over 64 and moderate to strong wind shear. Looks like a potential outbreak(small scale)

Where?
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#158 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:40 am

Severe Weather no longer expected today . . . too messy
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#159 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:33 am

Iceresistance wrote:
InfernoFlameCat wrote:March 4 with the dew points over 64 and moderate to strong wind shear. Looks like a potential outbreak(small scale)

Where?
Straight up the plains. Like from Austin TX to past OK City. Your area in fact.
0 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#160 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:35 am

The dew points diminish to near 60 around you. Still very high. That day may bring you trouble.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”