Texas Fall 2021

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Fall 2021

#361 Postby Brent » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:19 pm

TropicalTundra wrote:New GFS and CMC runs have freezing temps in Texas panhandle and the GFS has 3 (yes, 3) snowstorms across the entire panhandle from Amarillo to Lubbock. Some very nice looking eye candy. :wink:

https://i.imgur.com/lD4Iyqv.jpg

:eek: :double: :eek: :double: :spam:

2 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#362 Postby Ntxw » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:58 pm

bubba hotep wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Imagine this in deep winter from a cold source.

https://i.imgur.com/H2ksFzz.png

https://i.imgur.com/VP0YrMH.png

Ensembles are in good agreement that we will see a period of below normal temps across Texas. However, as you pointed out above, if our source region was currently below normal then this would be a rather significant early season cold snap. One thing to watch, is this transition period setting the stage for a winter with repeating blocking episodes in the NAO region or is it going to be transitory? IMHO, there are reasons to believe that we will see some sustained -NAO periods resulting in a rather chilly Nov & Dec.

I think so too on the blocking. Blocking and non-blocking years tends to come back to back/bunches together. The big difference will be the PDO.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#363 Postby Haris » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:57 pm

EURO now showing highs in the 40s too with snow in OK
2 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#364 Postby Brent » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:07 pm

Haris wrote:EURO now showing highs in the 40s too with snow in OK

:double: :eek: :cold: :spam:

3 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#365 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:05 pm

The CPC isn’t really sold on any big cool down. At least not yet.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#366 Postby Brent » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:42 pm

Low 60s for highs at the end of the forecast here that would be below normal and of course the Euro would be colder
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#367 Postby Ntxw » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:45 pm

Cpv17 wrote:The CPC isn’t really sold on any big cool down. At least not yet.

I think that's a decent approach. There really isn't any major cold air masses, it's barely freezing in a lot of Canada. It's just the broad pattern is going to change so no more persistent returning heat.

Snow in the higher ground of the Panhandles isn't unusual with big upper low features this time of year but not always associated with a major cold snap.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#368 Postby Ntxw » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:46 pm

Some more evidence a shift is coming. Pacific jet retraction pulls back the GOA low to the Aleutians (more El Nino-y) position. So there is support for the PNA or EPO ridge to appear.

Relative to the base state that's a pretty drastic drop in the SOI over a week's time.
5 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

lukem
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#369 Postby lukem » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:01 pm

Ntxw wrote:Some more evidence a shift is coming. Pacific jet retraction pulls back the GOA low to the Aleutians (more El Nino-y) position. So there is support for the PNA or EPO ridge to appear.

Relative to the base state that's a pretty drastic drop in the SOI over a week's time.
https://i.imgur.com/dWUAkr3.png

12Z GFS showing major rain in Texas for the first part of November.
3 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#370 Postby Haris » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:56 pm

Snow near DFW on euro
3 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#371 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:08 pm

Haris wrote:Snow near DFW on euro

Was just coming to post that :double:

The old Euro had a cold bias in the column and would produce unrealistic snow maps, esp. in the 7-10 day range with surface temps above freezing. Now to see if that carried over to this update version or if this is a real winter wx threat.
0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#372 Postby Brent » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:11 pm

bubba hotep wrote:

The old Euro had a cold bias in the column and would produce unrealistic snow maps, esp. in the 7-10 day range with surface temps above freezing. Now to see if that carried over to this update version or if this is a real winter wx threat.

:double: :froze: one thing for sure there is a signal for some kind of storm(not necessarily wintry) or at least a big front in that timeframe

I will say this front is no slouch here... The airport is still at 58 at 3pm! I remember last week when they thought we might push 90 today

2 likes   
#neversummer

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#373 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:17 pm

Svr Wx Day on Tap for Tomorrow across the Region

0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#374 Postby HockeyTx82 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:48 pm

Brent wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

:double: :froze: one thing for sure there is a signal for some kind of storm(not necessarily wintry) or at least a big front in that timeframe

I will say this front is no slouch here... The airport is still at 58 at 3pm! I remember last week when they thought we might push 90 today

https://i.ibb.co/LzvT8cM/sn10-acc-us-sc.png

Lock it in. That's crazy if that were to verify that early in the season. I remember last Winter we all doubted the models and we got hammered with once and a lifetime cold snap.

I remember reading something about this Winter being the second shot of cold because we are just in that pattern. Anyone buying that with all the cold we had last year?
4 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#375 Postby cheezyWXguy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:27 am

HockeyTx82 wrote:
Brent wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

https://i.ibb.co/LzvT8cM/sn10-acc-us-sc.png

Lock it in. That's crazy if that were to verify that early in the season. I remember last Winter we all doubted the models and we got hammered with once and a lifetime cold snap.

I remember reading something about this Winter being the second shot of cold because we are just in that pattern. Anyone buying that with all the cold we had last year?

It’s possible, but social media is definitely overstocking the hype train. I’ve seen several instances and even heard from relatives that they’re worried because “it’s going to happen again this winter”. The projected certainty I hear and see from these people can frustrating, considering how rare of an event that was.

Granted, there seems to be basis for consideration, and it sounds like some of the large scale pattern indicators will be there. TheProfessor has a good post going into detail on this in the winter weather thread.

It does make me a little on edge, because the current vulnerability of our power infrastructure means we may not need an event as severe as last winter’s to cause problems. A classic Texas ice/sleet storm like December 2013 could do the trick. My personal opinion is we should keep an eye out and be prepared for a situation like this, but we’re not even close to sounding the alarm bells.
3 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#376 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:03 am

:double:

3 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#377 Postby TheProfessor » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:00 pm

The 0z Canadian would be insane. 3" of snow for Wichita in the first week of November. Lock it in!
6 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#378 Postby gpsnowman » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:18 pm

TheProfessor wrote:The 0z Canadian would be insane. 3" of snow for Wichita in the first week of November. Lock it in!

Yeah the middle of next week is looking a little cooler down here with perhaps a couple days in the 60's. We shall see but the fall weather could be here to stay.

In the meantime get ready for a good line of storms overnight.
3 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#379 Postby Brent » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:40 pm

:cold: :double: :cold: :froze: GFS drops the winter hammer next week

4 likes   
#neversummer

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#380 Postby gpsnowman » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:44 pm

Brent wrote::cold: :double: :cold: :froze: GFS drops the winter hammer next week

https://i.ibb.co/2PNWSK6/gfs-T2ma-scus-38.png

Wow!! The 60's next week might need to be adjusted!! And that is not that far out. Yes please.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”