Texas Fall 2021

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Texas Fall 2021

#601 Postby TheProfessor » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:11 pm

starsfan65 wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:I'm late to the discussion, but one thing about teleconnections (and I've mentioned this before iirc) is that how they trend is just as important as where it is on the graph. In the midterm the PNA is expected to trend positive, but then that trend becomes more neutral or even slightly negative, which would favor us. A low amplitude negative trend isn't a bad deal for us as long as the AO, EPO, and NAO aren't going in the wrong direction too. It does seem like we could see what Ntxw was mentioning with the cold air sliding east at first and then retrograding westward with time.
how long is the PNA is going to be positive?

PNA is actually negative now and doesn't start trending positive until this week (with this front). From there it just kind of flattens out or trends slightly negative, but that forecast is uncertain.
2 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#602 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:47 pm

Ntx highlighting the block in Greenland, thats a solid one too. We need to that. Looks like it would hang around for a while.

As a result of the block, everything has to move south. I know its 12 days out, but you can see what the GFS wants to produce, as a result of the block. Monster storm rolling through the plains. Dont be surprised if it start showing this system fro early Dec dipping into Texas.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#603 Postby TheProfessor » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:20 pm

The setup showing up at day 10 screams ice storm to me. You get a cutoff low in the Southwest with shallow cold air and a Gulf that for the most part is still above average and that's a recipe for disaster. I have no idea where the wintry precip would be, but if that setup does indeed occur with some cold air to work with I think someone will be dealing with ice. I could get lucky here being further north and get snow (or be unlucky and too far north), but I do think overall this is more of an ice setup.

Models tend to be to progressive with these cutoff lows, it wouldn't surprise me if we see this get pushed back some (in fact that's already happened on the GFS) and the progression of the cutoff low is slowed. As always when dealing with shallow cold air, it will likely arrive much faster than anticipated, so you usually need to shift the winter precip modes a county or two south of what the models are showing once you get to that 1 to 3 day range (with the exception of the CAMs which have gotten much better in modeling the speed of the cold air.).
2 likes   

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#604 Postby starsfan65 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:27 pm

TheProfessor wrote:The setup showing up at day 10 screams ice storm to me. You get a cutoff low in the Southwest with shallow cold air and a Gulf that for the most part is still above average and that's a recipe for disaster. I have no idea where the wintry precip would be, but if that setup does indeed occur with some cold air to work with I think someone will be dealing with ice. I could get lucky here being further north and get snow (or be unlucky and too far north), but I do think overall this is more of an ice setup.

Models tend to be to progressive with these cutoff lows, it wouldn't surprise me if we see this get pushed back some (in fact that's already happened on the GFS) and the progression of the cutoff low is slowed. As always when dealing with shallow cold air, it will likely arrive much faster than anticipated, so you usually need to shift the winter precip modes a county or two south of what the models are showing once you get to that 1 to 3 day range (with the exception of the CAMs which have gotten much better in modeling the speed of the cold air.).
Ice Storm?
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#605 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:29 pm

starsfan65 wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:The setup showing up at day 10 screams ice storm to me. You get a cutoff low in the Southwest with shallow cold air and a Gulf that for the most part is still above average and that's a recipe for disaster. I have no idea where the wintry precip would be, but if that setup does indeed occur with some cold air to work with I think someone will be dealing with ice. I could get lucky here being further north and get snow (or be unlucky and too far north), but I do think overall this is more of an ice setup.

Ice Storm?

It’s still really far out. Don’t worry about it yet.
0 likes   

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#606 Postby starsfan65 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:35 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:

Ice Storm?

It’s still really far out. Don’t worry about it yet.
I'm Not. I am hoping for a cool Thanksgiving.
0 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#607 Postby TheProfessor » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:37 pm

starsfan65 wrote:

Ice Storm?

If this setup were to occur it would most likely be an ice storm as opposed to a snow event. But as Cpv said it's 10 days out and we'll likely see it change a ton until we get into the medium range.
1 likes   

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#608 Postby starsfan65 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:38 pm

TheProfessor wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:

Ice Storm?

If this setup were to occur it would most likely be an ice storm as opposed to a snow event. But as Cpv said it's 10 days out and we'll likely see it change a ton until we get into the medium range.
That is the Day after Thanksgiving. It is expected to be in the 50's on Thanksgiving here.
0 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#609 Postby TheProfessor » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:46 pm

starsfan65 wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:Ice Storm?

That is the Day after Thanksgiving. It is expected to be in the 50's on Thanksgiving here.

For now, yes, but things can change quickly. At 10 days out you could get a forecast error in temperatures by 20+ degrees in either direction pretty easily, especially at this time of year. Right now it's just something to watch and if I had lean a direction I'd say it's something for those of us in Kansas and Oklahoma to pay attention to right now, but I've seen these systems trend south way too often.
1 likes   

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#610 Postby starsfan65 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:49 pm

TheProfessor wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:

For now, yes, but things can change quickly. At 10 days out you could get a forecast error in temperatures by 20+ degrees in either direction pretty easily, especially at this time of year. Right now it's just something to watch and if I had lean a direction I'd say it's something for those of us in Kansas and Oklahoma to pay attention to right now, but I've seen these systems trend south way too often.
I hope it ain't 20 degrees warmer.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#611 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:06 pm

The 12z Euro has a Major Winter Storm Developing across Oklahoma & Northern Texas 10 Days out, it's unlikely it will happen, but if the Euro is jumping on board for this. we really need to keep an eye on this if the Euro is wanting a Southern Plains Winter Storm by Thanksgiving Week.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#612 Postby starsfan65 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:12 pm

Iceresistance wrote:The 12z Euro has a Major Winter Storm Developing across Oklahoma & Northern Texas 10 Days out, it's unlikely it will happen, but if the Euro is jumping on board for this. we really need to keep an eye on this if the Euro is wanting a Southern Plains Winter Storm by Thanksgiving Week.
If I want a Winter Storm, I want a snow storm.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#613 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:17 pm

starsfan65 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:The 12z Euro has a Major Winter Storm Developing across Oklahoma & Northern Texas 10 Days out, it's unlikely it will happen, but if the Euro is jumping on board for this. we really need to keep an eye on this if the Euro is wanting a Southern Plains Winter Storm by Thanksgiving Week.

Look at this! It's a shame when the fun begins at the end of the model run.

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/prateptype_cat_ecmwf.us_sc.png
2 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#614 Postby starsfan65 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:32 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:

The 0z Euro run is out in over 2 hours.
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#615 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:17 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:

That looks about like what the GFS was showing a few runs back.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#616 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:13 am

The NAO is about as Negative as it can get!

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/gfs-ens_z500a_namer_32.png
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#617 Postby Cerlin » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:33 am

TheProfessor wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:

Ice Storm?

Canadian model agrees with you so far! 2 runs in a row with a pretty substantial ice storm across the Southern Plains.
1 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#618 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:42 am

Cerlin wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:Ice Storm?

Canadian model agrees with you so far! 2 runs in a row with a pretty substantial ice storm across the Southern Plains.

It's trended further east as well.
2 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#619 Postby starsfan65 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:01 am

Iceresistance wrote:
Cerlin wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:

It's trended further east as well.
On the Euro, There is a system coming through Thanksgiving Morning.
1 likes   

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#620 Postby TropicalTundra » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:04 am

I know not many people use the GDPS but the end of the run shows sleet/ice around east of I-35. The signal is there and if it continues signaling we could be looking at some wintry fun. If the blocking continues and cold pushes farther south we could maybe see some ice or snow events during thanksgiving week. We just need the Greenland block to do it’s wonder and everything will be set for some wintry mischief.
1 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”