Texas Fall 2023

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Fall 2023

#21 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:02 pm

Pow Ponder is now agreeing with what I was thinking about October.
0 likes   

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:36 pm

Cpv17 wrote:Pow Ponder is now agreeing with what I was thinking about October.

Gotta get through September first.
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:45 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:

Yeah, it’s gonna be miserable and the drought is most likely going to get even worse. I could be looking at a D4 drought here soon, which I haven’t seen here since 2011.
0 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#24 Postby IcyTundra » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:09 am

Wonderful I am in a D4 drought now.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:24 am

IcyTundra wrote:Wonderful I am in a D4 drought now.

So is Houston :(
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby gpsnowman » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:49 am

:spam:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:

Late September is usually when we get a front dropping lows in the upper 50s give or take. Might have to wait a bit longer for that unfortunately.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#27 Postby Ntxw » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:23 am

All jokes aside, there is hints of heights reversal for us as we move deeper into Fall. Remember El Nino has greater influence into the Fall and winter than does summer.
5 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:31 am

Ntxw wrote:All jokes aside, there is hints of heights reversal for us as we move deeper into Fall. Remember El Nino has greater influence into the Fall and winter than does summer.

When our long range guy says this, I listen. :)
4 likes   

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby TropicalTundra » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:02 pm

Tireman4 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:All jokes aside, there is hints of heights reversal for us as we move deeper into Fall. Remember El Nino has greater influence into the Fall and winter than does summer.

When our long range guy says this, I listen. :)

I honestly listen to anyone that sounds credible I have 0 experience in long-range type weather :?:
0 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:08 pm

Ice, post Pow Ponders latest fall forecast he put out yesterday. It’s a good watch.
2 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:31 pm

Cpv17 wrote:Ice, post Pow Ponders latest fall forecast he put out yesterday. It’s a good watch.

Link: https://youtu.be/0qNkFIczNVU
3 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:57 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:Ice, post Pow Ponders latest fall forecast he put out yesterday. It’s a good watch.

https://youtu.be/0qNkFIczNVU

Encouraging (like what happened in 2011)! I pray he's on the money, for all our landscapes' and water sources' sake.
4 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby rwfromkansas » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:15 pm

I pray that's true. We need it!
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#34 Postby Ntxw » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:49 pm

The flip will happen, it's a strong El Nino. I'd be more nervous if it was a weak event (we know how those can fail.) But waiting for it can be brutal, especially when years like 1963 and 2009 (a couple of possible analogs) have some intense Fall heat.

In fact I'd probably look for some kind of freak cold snap like Halloween of 1991. Maybe...
5 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#35 Postby gpsnowman » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:03 pm

Ntxw wrote:The flip will happen, it's a strong El Nino. I'd be more nervous if it was a weak event (we know how those can fail.) But waiting for it can be brutal, especially when years like 1963 and 2009 (a couple of possible analogs) have some intense Fall heat.

In fact I'd probably look for some kind of freak cold snap like Halloween of 1991. Maybe...

IIRC late Octobers of 91,92, and 93 were quite chilly with 93 having some light frozen stuff just before Halloween. I remember stading outside with my friends thinking what the hell when some wet snow and sleet started falling. Didn't last long and is the only October frozen precip I've ever seen. Thirty years ago, damn.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:09 pm

gpsnowman wrote:
Ntxw wrote:The flip will happen, it's a strong El Nino. I'd be more nervous if it was a weak event (we know how those can fail.) But waiting for it can be brutal, especially when years like 1963 and 2009 (a couple of possible analogs) have some intense Fall heat.

IIRC late Octobers of 91,92, and 93 were quite chilly with 93 having some light frozen stuff just before Halloween. I remember stading outside with my friends thinking what the hell when some wet snow and sleet started falling. Didn't last long and is the only October frozen precip I've ever seen. Thirty years ago, damn.

Yeah, I think Hurricanes Idilia and Franklin sucked up most of the moisture, exacerbating the feedback loop even more and extending the Ridge O' Misery to October across the central and southern US.

I'm guessing had the storms not hit or been as strong (leaving more available atmospheric moisture), we probably would have looked forward to a Mid-September flip. Maybe...
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#37 Postby Ntxw » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:14 pm

gpsnowman wrote:

Halloween 2019 (the last El Nino of recent, at the time) was pretty chilly 51/30F at DFW. The winter then sucked because it was too weak and Nina like forcing overpowered the Nino. That was a cold November too like some of the Nino's of old.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#38 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:20 pm

I was convinced we would see the flip in late summer based on some of the long range indicators in early summer, but that left egg on my face. However, I agree with the stong Nino thinking but am a bit worried about the unknown associated with the HTH eruption. Here is a strong Nino map:

2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#39 Postby Ntxw » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:26 pm

bubba hotep wrote:

I was convinced we would see the flip in late summer based on some of the long range indicators in early summer, but that left egg on my face. However, I agree with the stong Nino thinking but am a bit worried about the unknown associated with the HTH eruption. Here is a strong Nino map:

https://i.ibb.co/7GbCDYn/F43-PO2-NXUAEdwc.png

It's very unlikely the STJ will allow for it to stay hot in our region. However when I say anomalies I mean below normal relative to everywhere else. These days it's hard to predict cold. Summer sucks, it's hard to forecast because it's so dependent on rain and moisture, I've been egged to several times since Spring! At least in the cooler season the 500mb pattern can somewhat be more helpful.
2 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:24 pm

Ntxw wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

https://i.ibb.co/7GbCDYn/F43-PO2-NXUAEdwc.png

It's very unlikely the STJ will allow for it to stay hot in our region. However when I say anomalies I mean below normal relative to everywhere else. These days it's hard to predict cold. Summer sucks, it's hard to forecast because it's so dependent on rain and moisture, I've been egged to several times since Spring! At least in the cooler season the 500mb pattern can somewhat be more helpful.

I also think there is a rather high chance of an active spring. The correlation is very strong between +ENSO and precip especially in the spring. Also, there is a strong correlation with cooler temps too.
2 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”