Texas Fall 2023

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
tajmahal
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Texas Fall 2023

#1561 Postby tajmahal » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:38 am

ElectricStorm wrote:
tajmahal wrote:
Brent wrote:
Mike Collier

Another one has predicted snow in December but didn't have a date

Chris Nunley has a Ph.D. in meteorology. The others don't.

And that matters how?

You don't have to have a PhD to be a good met

It's obvious why that matters.
0 likes   

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1562 Postby Edwards Limestone » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:38 am

gpsnowman wrote:
Edwards Limestone wrote:I put taj on ignore and my board experience has been much more pleasant thus far. No room for trolls here.

Never knew that was an option. And I've been on here over a decade. Thanks.

I honestly just stumbled on it by chance. Click on your username in the upper right, then click User Control Panel >> Friends and Foes and add whomever you want to ignore to the foes list.
3 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1563 Postby Ntxw » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:41 am

Last day for the Fall thread!

Onward to the winter thread! Bread and butter for most of us! Pretty soon wxman57 will be active crushing our hopes and dreams but we battle on!

If you need link is below to the winter thread.

Texas Winter Thread 2023-2024
5 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1564 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:41 am

Brighter news from our region

Pat Cavlin
@pcavlin
·
3m
⚠️#BREAKING -

The Storm Prediction Center (SPC) has DOWNGRADED the area from a level 3 to level 2 risk. As mentioned in previous discussions... the potential for severe weather today is VERY conditional.

Still a chance for severe storms but lower than initially thought
2 likes   

dpep4
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1565 Postby dpep4 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:45 am

Did not expect an Enhance Risk of turbulence on the board today. This too shall pass.

Keep posting Taj, I like your contributions. Even if I don't always agree (or maybe mostly don't agree, I dunno) I appreciate different viewpoints. I have never seen it as trolling, just a different perspective.

Those that don't agree on something can speak out, debate, call out, or even choose to put someone on ignore, but I am not a fan of censorship.
2 likes   

tajmahal
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1566 Postby tajmahal » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:47 am

HockeyTx82 wrote:
tajmahal wrote:
Brent wrote:
Mike Collier

Another one has predicted snow in December but didn't have a date

Not sure if your trolling here or just making a comment but like others said, what does it matter? What metric do you gauge intelligence on to allow someone to have an opinion on something?

What certifications or degrees do you have for weather?

I'm sure this post will get moderated and removed, but your negatively and somewhat perceived arrogance is very tiring. This is a fun board where we as amateurs and some certified professionals (perhaps not good enough for some if they don't have a PhD) come together to talk about the weather. Not to measure or question someone's intelligence.

The Dunning–Kruger effect.......

https://youtu.be/RAlI0pbMQiM?feature=shared

I have a Ph.D. I have been involved with and studied the atmosphere since I was a teenager. That's 50 years. You?
Last edited by tajmahal on Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1567 Postby gpsnowman » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:48 am

Edwards Limestone wrote:
gpsnowman wrote:
Edwards Limestone wrote:I put taj on ignore and my board experience has been much more pleasant thus far. No room for trolls here.

Never knew that was an option. And I've been on here over a decade. Thanks.

I honestly just stumbled on it by chance. Click on your username in the upper right, then click User Control Panel >> Friends and Foes and add whomever you want to ignore to the foes list.

Done. Never needed this until now but here we are.
5 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1568 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:50 am

tajmahal wrote:
ElectricStorm wrote:
tajmahal wrote:

And that matters how?

You don't have to have a PhD to be a good met

It's obvious why that matters.

It literally doesn't matter, there are amazing mets out there that don't have PhD, you would see that if you would have read other recent posts in this thread. Having a PhD doesn't automatically make someone better than someone else.

This whole "correcting" people thing is really getting old and I think the entire board would appreciate it if you stop
4 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1569 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:53 am

Activity is starting to pick up south of Houston....

A special weather statement has been issued for El Campo TX, Ganado TX and Louise TX until 9:15 AM CST
1 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1570 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:58 am

Marginal risk up here now 8-) Just the second one of the month. Won't be anything crazy but maybe we can get a nice storm.

Enhanced risk has been dropped which doesn't surprise me, was surprised they added it on the Day 2 honestly. Could have a few tornadoes but it looks like cloud cover might help to limit that. Definitely needs to be watched though
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1571 Postby HockeyTx82 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:07 pm

tajmahal wrote:
HockeyTx82 wrote:
tajmahal wrote:

Not sure if your trolling here or just making a comment but like others said, what does it matter? What metric do you gauge intelligence on to allow someone to have an opinion on something?

What certifications or degrees do you have for weather?

I'm sure this post will get moderated and removed, but your negatively and somewhat perceived arrogance is very tiring. This is a fun board where we as amateurs and some certified professionals (perhaps not good enough for some if they don't have a PhD) come together to talk about the weather. Not to measure or question someone's intelligence.

The Dunning–Kruger effect.......

https://youtu.be/RAlI0pbMQiM?feature=shared

I have a Ph.D. I have been involved with and studied the atmosphere since I was a teenager. That's 50 years. You?

Ahh yes, the Piled higher and Deeper degree.

Was humility and compassion not on your GRE list of study vocabulary?

I have just a bachelor's degree in basket weaving from a 4 year public University. I'll put my tail between my legs and go home.

You win. :notworthy:
4 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#1572 Postby jasons2k » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:17 pm

***I hope I don’t have to start babysitting this thread but I will if needed.

Tread carefully. I will have no tolerance for “trolling” here.***

Some breaks are forming in the clouds out over the Gulf. Agreed the placement has shifted south but the threat is still there.

I think the folks near Galveston Bay need to keep a very close watch as we move into the afternoon. If I were Reed Timmer I’d be having lunch in Angleton.
5 likes   

cstrunk
Category 1
Category 1

#1573 Postby cstrunk » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:18 pm

I was never fully convinced of the Enhanced risk for SETX given the clouds/precip forecast down there. But now the QPF bullseye signals are also migrating away from ETX... towards SW AR and far SETX. Looks like less than 1" for most locations in ETX, with locally higher amounts. At least we're getting something.
1 likes   

tajmahal
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1574 Postby tajmahal » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:34 pm

The GFS endsemble mean is showing that the 500 mb high over the Aleutians during mid–December will be undercut by fast flow and shoved into the Arctic without causing downstream long wave troughing.
0 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1575 Postby rwfromkansas » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:48 pm

Thanks for the info on the ignore list. Done. I sometimes appreciate a contrary perspective (Wxman is great at this but doing so in a nice way), but it seems like the entire purpose is to snobbily correct people....
4 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#1576 Postby cheezyWXguy » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:49 pm

cstrunk wrote:I was never fully convinced of the Enhanced risk for SETX given the clouds/precip forecast down there. But now the QPF bullseye signals are also migrating away from ETX... towards SW AR and far SETX. Looks like less than 1" for most locations in ETX, with locally higher amounts. At least we're getting something.

I don’t think the enhanced was a bad call, as the kinematics are pretty impressive, and any clearing might have been enough to realize the highly conditional threat. Since that hasn’t happened, fully agree with them taking it away.

Convective Chronicles had a forecast discussion on YouTube yesterday where he mentioned that the northward extent of moisture return was lagging behind what some of the cams were showing, this is probably what caused the threat area to shift south and ultimately kept things below the required threshold imo
1 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1577 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:55 pm

Pat Cavlin
@pcavlin
·
1h
⚠️ UPDATED TIMING -

While the potential for severe weather has lowered a bit - the timing and thinking remains the same

⏰ Peak timing is from now through mid-afternoon
⚡️ Still a very conditional threat
Isolated tornadoes remain the primary concern

@KHOU
#khou11 #Houston
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#1578 Postby jasons2k » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:58 pm

First signs of rotation in Brazoria County cell.
Off we go…
1 likes   

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1579 Postby HockeyTx82 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:59 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:
cstrunk wrote:I was never fully convinced of the Enhanced risk for SETX given the clouds/precip forecast down there. But now the QPF bullseye signals are also migrating away from ETX... towards SW AR and far SETX. Looks like less than 1" for most locations in ETX, with locally higher amounts. At least we're getting something.

I don’t think the enhanced was a bad call, as the kinematics are pretty impressive, and any clearing might have been enough to realize the highly conditional threat. Since that hasn’t happened, fully agree with them taking it away.

Convective Chronicles had a forecast discussion on YouTube yesterday where he mentioned that the northward extent of moisture return was lagging behind what some of the cams were showing, this is probably what caused the threat area to shift south and ultimately kept things below the required threshold imo

My guess is the forecaster who made the initial call for Enhanced did not have a PhD. The Government will take anyone these days for work.....

:spam:
Last edited by HockeyTx82 on Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1580 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:15 pm

TORNADO WATCH POSSIBLE -

The SPC has highlighted areas along and south of Houston for the potential of a tornado watch later this afternoon

Storms have started to develop across these areas and if trends continue a watch may be needed

@KHOU
#khou11 #Houston #TXwx
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”