Texas Spring 2024

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Spring 2024

#601 Postby Edwards Limestone » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:17 am

Can already see the bust coming for SC TX- while NTX/OK/AR gets torrential rainfall.
It's been an underwhelming spring rainfall wise down here. Always so localized, hit or miss. Never widespread enough, never in the right places. Too far east and north.

Most areas on the western/southern Edwards Plateau are still under significant drought conditions and have been for 2+ years now.
Canyon Lake is in deep trouble.

We sure do get a lot of drizzle/fog though :roll:
0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#602 Postby South Texas Storms » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:57 am

Edwards Limestone wrote:Can already see the bust coming for SC TX- while NTX/OK/AR gets torrential rainfall.
It's been an underwhelming spring rainfall wise down here. Always so localized, hit or miss. Never widespread enough, never in the right places. Too far east and north.

Most areas on the western/southern Edwards Plateau are still under significant drought conditions and have been for 2+ years now.

Most of the guidance is indicating rainfall totals will likely reach around 0.50-1.00 inch by Sunday across south central TX. Sure the bust potential is there as always, but I'm optimistic right now. Would be nice to see the bullseye across the Hill Country and Edwards Plateau with this event.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#603 Postby Ntxw » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:02 am

There are hints that May will be western trough and eastern ridge. This would bring better rainfall odds for drier part of the state. It would also increase the severe weather activity in the Plains compared to April's eastern trough and western ridge.

The 500mb pattern has been too amplified for severe outbreaks.
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

snownado
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#604 Postby snownado » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:09 pm

Ntxw wrote:There are hints that May will be western trough and eastern ridge. This would bring better rainfall odds for drier part of the state. It would also increase the severe weather activity in the Plains compared to April's eastern trough and western ridge.

The 500mb pattern has been too amplified for severe outbreaks.

That's definitely the drum Larry Cosgrove's been beating.
0 likes   

snownado
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#605 Postby snownado » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:12 pm

Edwards Limestone wrote:Can already see the bust coming for SC TX- while NTX/OK/AR gets torrential rainfall.

I wouldn't get too hung up on model QPF output verbatim, especially since the locations of the more intense convection (thus heavier rainfall) will be heavily outflow driven.

More to the point, it's very much plausible the zone of heavier rainfall will set up further SE than what's currently projected.
1 likes   

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#606 Postby HockeyTx82 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:51 pm

HRRR is looking more like a DFW and SE event. Not seeing anything NW of the metro.
0 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#607 Postby Ntxw » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:59 pm

Surface front approaching DFW now. Largely quiet passage with NW winds and lower humidity behind it. 850mb front will be where activity will increase the next several days. Cooler temps.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#608 Postby Brent » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:19 pm

Well we had fropa here but no real rain unfortunately again... Trying to remember the last time it really rained here and Saturday looks like it may be south of us :spam:.

I dunno I'm still waiting for this great active pattern with summer getting closer and closer. It has not happened here
0 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#609 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:22 pm

Brent wrote:Well we had fropa here but no real rain unfortunately again... Trying to remember the last time it really rained here and Saturday looks like it may be south of us :spam:.

I dunno I'm still waiting for this great active pattern with summer getting closer and closer. It has not happened here

Rain is coming for you later this month man. Hang in there.
0 likes   

Anti-freeze
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#610 Postby Anti-freeze » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:31 pm

Tor warn in Lometa.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#611 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:45 pm

Anti-freeze wrote:Tor warn in Lometa.

Interesting movement for a tor warned storm.
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#612 Postby CaptinCrunch » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:12 am

Yesterday's 60% coverage forecast busted like a Ballon, so I'm not going to expect anything different for Saturday.

I don't blame the forecasters, poor models and just bad data is all you got to go off of.
1 likes   

Gotwood
Category 1
Category 1

#613 Postby Gotwood » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:19 am

CaptinCrunch wrote:Yesterday's 60% coverage forecast busted like a Ballon, so I'm not going to expect anything different for Saturday.

I don't blame the forecasters, poor models and just bad data is all you got to go off of.

We need some big rain hopefully tomorrow delivers.
0 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#614 Postby gpsnowman » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:03 am

CaptinCrunch wrote:Yesterday's 60% coverage forecast busted like a Ballon, so I'm not going to expect anything different for Saturday.

Steve McCauley didn't even mention yesterday in any of his FB posts. Last post was 3 days ago. He's a great source for severe locally. Honestly I had a hunch yesterday would bust anyway but what do I know. Hopefully Saturday will provide some rain but it will be comfy cool nonetheless.
1 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#615 Postby jasons2k » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:10 pm

Update earlier this AM from Jeff Lindner:

Heavy rain possible Saturday evening into early Sunday across the northern portions of SE TX.

Weak frontal boundary currently just north of Austin is sliding southward this morning with a warm and moist air mass in place across all of SE TX ahead of this feature. High resolution guidance continues the southward track of this boundary today to roughly along a line from Columbus to Tomball to Cleveland which is much further south than the global models have been suggesting. A weak disturbance is also approaching SE TX from the southwest currently similar to yesterday at this time, but the radar is mostly clear. Convection allowing models (CAMs) show some development near the frontal boundary late this afternoon and early evening from roughly Sealy to Tomball to Conroe. This may be some enhancement of the frontal boundary with an inland moving seabreeze. Anything that does develop looks to weaken and dissipate by 8-9pm.

Saturday:
Weak frontal boundary will attempt to lift northward early Saturday, but how much northward progress is questionable…effectively the boundary will be stalled/meandering somewhere between Houston and College Station during the day. CAMs show a robust disturbance moving out of MX tonight with a well defined thunderstorm complex developing over the Rio Grande plains, but this activity weakens as it moves eastward across SC TX. Can’t rule out a few showers Saturday morning with the front in the area and this disturbance approaching from the southwest.

Renewed influx of tropical air mass into the region will occur by early Saturday afternoon with PWS of 1.8-2.0 inches or near maximum levels for mid April moving into the area from the western Gulf of Mexico. Surface heating across the area when combined with the approach of a stronger upper level disturbance is setting the stage for thunderstorm development by mid to late afternoon. Short range guidance is not in great agreement on how activity will play out Saturday afternoon into the overnight period with several scenarios on the table. One scenario suggests storms begin to fire in the 3-5pm time frame from Austin County through NW Harris to Montgomery County and then slowly develop/move ENE. Another scenario is that a thunderstorm complex develops over central TX and moves into the region later in the evening. One or a combination of both of these potentials is plausible.

Heavy Rainfall:
Nearly all factors are in place for heavy rainfall late Saturday with copious moisture, a feed of tropical moisture off the Gulf, a slow moving low level boundary, and diffluent upper air winds aloft. The threat for cell training is certainly in place and this is where things could add up fast given the environment in play. Hard part of the forecast is where is the best potential for cell training and where is the southern cut-off of the heavy rainfall. There looks to be a strong rainfall gradient across the area with totals near the coast less than .50 of an inch and totals in the College Station to Livingston area of 1-3 inches. Higher isolated totals are almost certain and would not be surprised to see some locally 4-6 inches in places where storms anchor and training persists.

For the metro area think 1-2 inches north of I-10 is most likely, but will need to keep an eye on the southward extent of the potential heavy rains to the north and any trends that would suggest a slightly more southern extent to the heavy rainfall.

Hydro:
Heaviest rains on Saturday into early Sunday are expected north of HWY 105 which will impact the Trinity, east and west Forks of the San Jacinto River, Navasota, and middle Brazos basins. Currently, not expecting any significant flooding on any of these systems, but will at least need to keep an eye on the more flashy San Jacinto and Navasota basins and where any sustained corridor of heavy rainfall occurs.

Forecasted Rainfall (Today-Sunday):

Jeff Lindner
Director Hydrologic Operations Division/Meteorologist
Harris County Flood Control District
9900 Northwest Freeway | Houston, Texas 77092
346-286-4000 (main) | 346-286-4165 (direct) | 281-924-2091 (cell)
jeff.lindner@hcfcd.org | Twitter: @jefflindner1
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#616 Postby Brent » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:22 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
Brent wrote:Well we had fropa here but no real rain unfortunately again... Trying to remember the last time it really rained here and Saturday looks like it may be south of us :spam:.

Eh I hope it goes better than all the snow predictions did :lol:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#617 Postby Ntxw » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:52 pm

Brent wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

Eh I hope it goes better than all the snow predictions did :lol:

Plus we have climo on our side. When you discount all the other factors, naturally every year as the temperature gradient shifts northward so does the overall QPF. NTX and Oklahoma is April->May while areas south of us is March into April. Red River north is May in particular.

It's like clockwork the Beaumont area is 50+ inches every year and is always rainy early.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#618 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:47 pm

Euro is still showing a VERY WET signal

https://s12.gifyu.com/images/SZjuo.png
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#619 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:01 pm

Broyles back at it again with a Day 7 15% :D

Good looking dryline but temps aloft look warm, if models verified (which they won't) it would probably be a cap bust. Not worried about it for now
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#620 Postby rwfromkansas » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:41 pm

Iceresistance wrote:Euro is still showing a VERY WET signal

Appears to be shifting SE again. So much for the very heavy rain west of DFW they need.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”