Texas Spring 2024

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Anti-freeze
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: Texas Spring 2024

#661 Postby Anti-freeze » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:24 pm

bubba hotep wrote:Yesterday's event put DFW +4" for the year, and the 00z EPS says more rain is on the way.

https://m3o.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/epsens/2024042100/360/qpf_acc-mean-imp.us_sc.png

Yep, the day after the Byron Nelson golf tournament, which is the weekend it always rains in north Texas.
1 likes   

cstrunk
Category 1
Category 1

#662 Postby cstrunk » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:49 am

Had a nice 2.71" on Saturday.

This morning was also pretty chilly - 39F.
1 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#663 Postby CaptinCrunch » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:06 am

CaptinCrunch wrote:2.25" at the Casa so far.

Saturday ended with over 4" of rain at the house. The Firepit is a frog pond and the front has a mini lake in the center. A very good day for the water sheds, lakes and ponds across DFW with this round. :ggreen:
1 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#664 Postby rwfromkansas » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:45 am

The latest Larry Cosgrove update mentions June 1 as the start for the heat, though he expects it to start sooner further south into Mexico. But, it seems to be pushing back a bit like he did with the cold chances in later winter.
0 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#665 Postby rwfromkansas » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:55 pm

Well, this is a fun new product that makes us hate our life here: https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/heatrisk/
0 likes   

snownado
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#666 Postby snownado » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:18 pm

rwfromkansas wrote:The latest Larry Cosgrove update mentions June 1 as the start for the heat, though he expects it to start sooner further south into Mexico. But, it seems to be pushing back a bit like he did with the cold chances in later winter.

To clarify, he was referring to the country as a whole for the June 1st date.

For us in Texas and vicinity, he's been pretty steadfast with expecting a hotter pattern to settle in around May 15th.
1 likes   

Anti-freeze
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#667 Postby Anti-freeze » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:34 am

In "The Weather Channel where are they now?" category, remember hurricane hunter Nicole Mitchell?

Well she's now a MN state senator...and arrested for a 4:45 am burglary. Her backpack of loot got stuck in a window:

https://www.fox9.com/news/sen-nicole-mitchell-burglary-charges-i-know-i-did-something-bad
0 likes   

funster
Category 3
Category 3

#668 Postby funster » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:50 pm

rwfromkansas wrote:Well, this is a fun new product that makes us hate our life here: https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/heatrisk/

Stay away Magenta weather
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#669 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:57 pm

Well Brent, here comes your rain soon! Told ya it was coming.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#670 Postby Brent » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:12 pm

Cpv17 wrote:Well Brent, here comes your rain soon! Told ya it was coming.

Gonna be interesting. A TV station already has a "high" chance of severe weather Saturday too
0 likes   
#neversummer

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#671 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:38 pm

I'm still wondering if the cap will be breakable on Thursday or not, especially with how dry the EML source region has been lately. Most CAMs seem to fire at least a few storms but most of them don't really seem Day 3 enhanced worthy quite yet, although CAMs can be a little questionable at this range. I think the initial slight risk for Day 3 was just fine. Not sold yet on a major outbreak but anything that does end up breaking the cap it would probably be a strong tornado producer.

I think Saturday could end up being a pretty big event but there could be some morning convection issues so we'll see when we get closer how potent it ends up being.
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#672 Postby Brent » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:56 pm

ElectricStorm wrote:I'm still wondering if the cap will be breakable on Thursday or not, especially with how dry the EML source region has been lately. Most CAMs seem to fire at least a few storms but most of them don't really seem Day 3 enhanced worthy quite yet, although CAMs can be a little questionable at this range. I think the initial slight risk for Day 3 was just fine. Not sold yet on a major outbreak but anything that does end up breaking the cap it would probably be a strong tornado producer.

I think Saturday could end up being a pretty big event but there could be some morning convection issues so we'll see when we get closer how potent it ends up being.

Looking at Tulsa's graphic they seem to think flooding is a bigger concern than severe weather but I guess we'll see. I've definitely seen a lot of hype about Saturday otherwise
0 likes   
#neversummer

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#673 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:45 pm

Brent wrote:
ElectricStorm wrote:I'm still wondering if the cap will be breakable on Thursday or not, especially with how dry the EML source region has been lately. Most CAMs seem to fire at least a few storms but most of them don't really seem Day 3 enhanced worthy quite yet, although CAMs can be a little questionable at this range. I think the initial slight risk for Day 3 was just fine. Not sold yet on a major outbreak but anything that does end up breaking the cap it would probably be a strong tornado producer.

Looking at Tulsa's graphic they seem to think flooding is a bigger concern than severe weather but I guess we'll see. I've definitely seen a lot of hype about Saturday otherwise

Saturday really depends on how much early convection there is and whether or not the atmosphere can recover behind it. Other than that, the overall setup is pretty concerning although I do think areas further west would be more at risk than the Tulsa area
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#674 Postby Brent » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:12 pm

ElectricStorm wrote:
Brent wrote:

Saturday really depends on how much early convection there is and whether or not the atmosphere can recover behind it. Other than that, the overall setup is pretty concerning although I do think areas further west would be more at risk than the Tulsa area

Yeah Wichita mentioned violent tornadoes in the afd :eek: looks like the best threat might be northwest of here

I'm imagining a big line probably late at night over here
0 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#675 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:56 pm

Brent wrote:
ElectricStorm wrote:
Brent wrote:

Yeah Wichita mentioned violent tornadoes in the afd :eek: looks like the best threat might be northwest of here

I'm imagining a big line probably late at night over here

Usually Tulsa misses out on the tornadoes. It’s usually either west or east of there from what I’ve noticed.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#676 Postby Ntxw » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:12 pm

With April rounding out, the hottest temperature at DFW so far in 2024 was...94 back in February.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#677 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:37 am

While the main dryline action should stay to the west tomorrow, I'm feeling pretty confident about a strong/severe squall line late tomorrow night/early Friday morning. Could see a few QLCS spin ups as it moves through. 0z HRRR has it nearing OKC metro around 3am and Tulsa around 5am.

New Day 1 outlook tornado probs
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

snownado
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#678 Postby snownado » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:24 am

Ntxw wrote:With April rounding out, the hottest temperature at DFW so far in 2024 was...94 back in February.

DFW's average date for the first 90*F day is 4/26. So looking at it from that perspective, we're well ahead of the game.

In 1980 and last year (which both ended up being the hottest and 3rd hottest Summers on record), we only had 1 90*F+ day prior to 4/26. In 1998, the first 90*F+ day (which also happened to be the first 100*F+ day) wasn't observed until 5/6.
Last edited by snownado on Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#679 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:04 am

Enhanced risk expanded to OKC metro for the overnight line
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#680 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:10 am

Not very often you see the Euro EPS this juiced up :rain: :rain:

1 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”