Texas Spring 2024

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Spring 2024

#1101 Postby txtwister78 » Mon May 06, 2024 8:10 pm

bubba hotep wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:Uhhh that Canton, ok storm better go warned real fast…

Edit: think what I was was seeing was a side beam false positive. Coincided with a circular cc drop, but probably nothing on the ground yet since it disappeared. Clearly I’m on edge for this event.

Edit 2: cc drop matches a genuine velocity signature on the Putnam cell, but after my misfire above I’m hesitant to call it :lol:

Edit 3: Putnam cell warned, I’ll settle for 1 out of 2. Hope everyone in the risk area is prepared, tonight is going to be rough

So far, spacing on the Oklahoma storms appears to be crowded enough to keep things in check. That's not to say things are "over," but glad we haven't seen a runaway discrete storm so far this evening.

Agreed. Hopefully that remains the case as most hi-res models have done fairly well depicting this event thus far. If these can stay more linear then hopefully, they can fight each other off to prevent any significant tornado development. Might see more high-end straight-line wind damage or some embedded QLCS spin ups but just another reminder that storm modes still matter even on high end parameter days like this.

Despite all that, all it takes is one and nobody cares about those distinctions I mentioned above if their town/city gets hit by one.
0 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1102 Postby rwfromkansas » Mon May 06, 2024 8:51 pm

Much of central KS stayed dry, so a bit of a bust up there rainfall wise since the line didn't go very far east. My hometown only got .10 but a few miles west got an inch.

But, some nasty storms are out there.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1103 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon May 06, 2024 8:59 pm

Discrete cell NW of Tulsa looks like the most concerning are for me, as well as the tail end Charlie west of OKC. Probably the best tornado potential are gonna be from those for now
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1104 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon May 06, 2024 9:28 pm

PDS warning heading towards Barnsdall, which had an EF1 during the 4/1 event. Probably the strongest tornado I've seen that close to my hometown (a little east of the tor) since I've been tracking storms
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#1105 Postby cheezyWXguy » Mon May 06, 2024 10:28 pm

That was a monster, I can’t imagine what those people just went through. A tornado like that followed by a squall line with severe wind, hail, and flooding rains
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1106 Postby Brent » Mon May 06, 2024 10:28 pm

Really bad reports from Barnsdall
0 likes   
#neversummer

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#1107 Postby cheezyWXguy » Mon May 06, 2024 10:29 pm

Severe warned storm moving toward okc metro and into a maximally conducive parameter space. This is not good.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1108 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon May 06, 2024 10:31 pm

New supercell moving towards OKC, not a fan

Reports of 2 fatalities in Bartlesville so far, and news 9 just said a nursing home in Barnsdall was hit and now doing a search and rescue. By far the worst tornado I've seen in NE OK since I've been into tracking weather :(
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#1109 Postby cheezyWXguy » Mon May 06, 2024 10:36 pm

ElectricStorm wrote:New supercell moving towards OKC, not a fan

Reports of 2 fatalities in Bartlesville so far, and news 9 just said a nursing home in Barnsdall was hit and now doing a search and rescue. By far the worst tornado I've seen in NE OK since I've been into tracking weather :(

What’s the source on those fatalities?
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1110 Postby Brent » Mon May 06, 2024 10:39 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:

I've seen some scanner reports on X but that's why I didn't say anything for sure
0 likes   
#neversummer

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1111 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon May 06, 2024 10:43 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:

I just saw it here maybe not the best source but this account usually seems pretty reliable
 https://twitter.com/OKTornadoDB/status/1787688138309054530

Some other accounts were reporting it too
1 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

Anti-freeze
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1112 Postby Anti-freeze » Mon May 06, 2024 10:49 pm

Brandon Copic's feed passed by the Barnsdall nursing home (W. Chestnut @ 4th) on 3 sides and the walls were still in place (one story, I couldn't tell the roof's condition, but the building looked mostly ok, it's the one with the white picket fence). 9:54 pm on his feed he pulls up. The house across the street was still standing, but it looks like trailer homes on either side are gone, based on comparing to Google Streetview from 1.5 years ago. I don't know if that is from this storm or if they were damaged and removed after the tornado last month.

Edit: Looks like the trailer home on the east side was blown, flipped, and landed on the roofs of 2 houses to the southeast.
Last edited by Anti-freeze on Mon May 06, 2024 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#1113 Postby cheezyWXguy » Mon May 06, 2024 10:57 pm

ElectricStorm wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:

I just saw it here maybe not the best source but this account usually seems pretty reliable
https://twitter.com/OKTornadoDB/status/1787688138309054530?t=_2mh99ltdYAFRznYALOIjg&s=19

Some other accounts were reporting it too

Ah yeah I’ve seen him. Not exactly a primary source but posts are always in good faith. If it turns out not to be true it’s most likely a mistake instead of a clickbait
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1114 Postby Brent » Mon May 06, 2024 11:18 pm

Aaron Rigsby confirming fatalities on X. :( unfortunately he knows his stuff

Supposedly help from Tulsa going its so bad
0 likes   
#neversummer

txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

#1115 Postby txtwister78 » Mon May 06, 2024 11:23 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:Severe warned storm moving toward okc metro and into a maximally conducive parameter space. This is not good.

Garden variety storms for the most part so far thankfully. Nothing to get terribly excited about however seeing some straight-line winds now gusting out just west of Norman/Moore. Good news is storm is booking it east pretty quickly and so threat for OKC metro should be over within the hour.

You've also got a gust front pushing south from the north as well with that complex north of OKC and so once that moves through and winds shift to the north it will really be over for areas north of that. Got to watch areas along or just south of that for a quick spin up.
2 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#1116 Postby cheezyWXguy » Mon May 06, 2024 11:31 pm

txtwister78 wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:Severe warned storm moving toward okc metro and into a maximally conducive parameter space. This is not good.

Garden variety storms for the most part so far thankfully. Nothing to get terribly excited about however seeing some straight-line winds now gusting out just west of Norman/Moore. Good news is storm is booking it east pretty quickly and so threat for OKC metro should be over within the hour.

You've also got a gust front pushing south from the north as well with that complex north of OKC and so once that moves through and winds shift to the north it will really be over for areas north of that. Got to watch areas along or just south of that for a quick spin up.

Yeah the storm pretty quickly went outflow dominant and hasn’t been able to change that, which is fortunate and honestly surprising to me. Not sure if I’d call it garden variety with 80mph winds, but it’s pretty far from a worst case scenario
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1117 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon May 06, 2024 11:32 pm

Destructive tag for 80mph winds about to get here
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#1118 Postby cheezyWXguy » Mon May 06, 2024 11:42 pm

Winds over 100mph showing up on okc radar only about 1000 feet up
0 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#1119 Postby cheezyWXguy » Mon May 06, 2024 11:45 pm

Tornado warning okc now. Good thing it looks like a qlcs-style spinup, but could do some damage
0 likes   

txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

#1120 Postby txtwister78 » Mon May 06, 2024 11:46 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:
txtwister78 wrote:

Yeah the storm pretty quickly went outflow dominant and hasn’t been able to change that, which is fortunate and honestly surprising to me. Not sure if I’d call it garden variety with 80mph winds, but it’s pretty far from a worst case scenario

Definitely blew up fast right over OKC metro. Now Tornado warned. Circulation southwest of Midwest City.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”