Texas Spring 2024

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Spring 2024

#1081 Postby bubba hotep » Mon May 06, 2024 12:39 pm

ElectricStorm wrote:Starting to get some clearing here in Norman. Gonna be a long day

I think the southern half of the High is the area to really watch.
2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1082 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon May 06, 2024 2:23 pm

PDS Tornado Watch has been issued. Actually nudges into a small area of northwestern North Texas from Childress to Wichita Falls…

https://x.com/nickkrasz_wx/status/1787559603686736247

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1083 Postby rwfromkansas » Mon May 06, 2024 2:31 pm

My hometown is in the PDS watch....on the northern end of moderate. Hope this ends up being less than it could be. This has been the year of the tornado after some years that were rather meh.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1084 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon May 06, 2024 2:37 pm

“… Numerous tornadoes expected with a few intense tornadoes likely…”

——————

Tornado Watch Number 189
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
200 PM CDT Mon May 6 2024

The NWS Storm Prediction Center has issued a

* Tornado Watch for portions of
Southern Kansas
Western and Central Oklahoma
Western North Texas

* Effective this Monday afternoon and evening from 200 PM until
1100 PM CDT.

...THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION...

* Primary threats include...
Numerous tornadoes expected with a few intense tornadoes likely
Widespread large hail and scattered very large hail events to 4
inches in diameter likely
Scattered damaging winds and isolated significant gusts to 75
mph likely

SUMMARY...Explosive thunderstorm development is forecast this
afternoon along and east of a north to south oriented dryline.
Given a very favorable environment for severe thunderstorms, intense
supercells are expected to evolve. These storms are forecast to
move east across the Watch area this afternoon through the late
evening. The possibility exists for regenerative supercell
development over central Oklahoma this evening. Initially large to
giant hail is forecast with the initial supercell activity before
the tornado risk increases. Intense tornadoes are probable
especially as the atmosphere becomes very favorable for tornadoes
late this afternoon and continuing through the evening.

The tornado watch area is approximately along and 105 statute miles
east and west of a line from 25 miles north northwest of Hutchinson
KS to 50 miles south southeast of Fort Sill OK. For a complete
depiction of the watch see the associated watch outline update
(WOUS64 KWNS WOU9).

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

REMEMBER...A Tornado Watch means conditions are favorable for
tornadoes and severe thunderstorms in and close to the watch
area. Persons in these areas should be on the lookout for
threatening weather conditions and listen for later statements
and possible warnings.

&&

OTHER WATCH INFORMATION...CONTINUE...WW 187...WW 188...

AVIATION...Tornadoes and a few severe thunderstorms with hail
surface and aloft to 4 inches. Extreme turbulence and surface wind
gusts to 65 knots. A few cumulonimbi with maximum tops to 500. Mean
storm motion vector 24035.

...Smith
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1085 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon May 06, 2024 2:39 pm

Wording today is strong. Hopefully this greatly underperforms and doesn’t live up to its advanced billing from SPC and NWS…

https://x.com/nws/status/1787562374381072859

0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1086 Postby Cpv17 » Mon May 06, 2024 2:40 pm

And we now have takeoff. Supercells are starting to fire up now.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1087 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon May 06, 2024 2:43 pm

People in the Red River counties of North Texas (including me), pay attention this afternoon and evening…

——————

https://x.com/nwsfortworth/status/1787559057005666424

0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1088 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon May 06, 2024 3:42 pm

Most model guidance seems to be trending towards a less discrete storm mode across OK this afternoon/evening which in theory would limit the strong tornado threat. However NWS Norman has said earlier they don't think this will end up being linear. So interested to see how this plays out

I'm going with the NWS on this one
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

#1089 Postby txtwister78 » Mon May 06, 2024 3:52 pm

Another Tornado Watch further north. Multiple watches up now from Kansas into Nebraska and far western Iowa/Missouri.

https://x.com/NWStornado/status/1787585054753075550

0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1090 Postby Brent » Mon May 06, 2024 4:20 pm

ElectricStorm wrote:Most model guidance seems to be trending towards a less discrete storm mode across OK this afternoon/evening which in theory would limit the strong tornado threat. However NWS Norman has said earlier they don't think this will end up being linear. So interested to see how this plays out

I mean I guess anything is possible and it would be better than the alternative but the CAM's have also been horrible this year from what I've heard so I can see why the NWS is skeptical
1 likes   
#neversummer

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1091 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon May 06, 2024 4:22 pm

0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1092 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon May 06, 2024 4:34 pm

Brent wrote:
ElectricStorm wrote:Most model guidance seems to be trending towards a less discrete storm mode across OK this afternoon/evening which in theory would limit the strong tornado threat. However NWS Norman has said earlier they don't think this will end up being linear. So interested to see how this plays out

I mean I guess anything is possible and it would be better than the alternative but the CAM's have also been horrible this year from what I've heard so I can see why the NWS is skeptical

Oh yeah CAMs have been pretty questionable this year for sure
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1093 Postby bubba hotep » Mon May 06, 2024 6:01 pm

Looks like there will be a CI attempt out near Aspermont, TX.
0 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#1094 Postby cheezyWXguy » Mon May 06, 2024 6:10 pm

Uhhh that Canton, ok storm better go warned real fast…

Edit: think what I was was seeing was a side beam false positive. Coincided with a circular cc drop, but probably nothing on the ground yet since it disappeared. Clearly I’m on edge for this event.

Edit 2: cc drop matches a genuine velocity signature on the Putnam cell, but after my misfire above I’m hesitant to call it :lol:

Edit 3: Putnam cell warned, I’ll settle for 1 out of 2. Hope everyone in the risk area is prepared, tonight is going to be rough
1 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1095 Postby bubba hotep » Mon May 06, 2024 7:04 pm

bubba hotep wrote:Looks like there will be a CI attempt out near Aspermont, TX.

This one failed. Looks to be a more significant attempt out near Childress, TX.
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1096 Postby bubba hotep » Mon May 06, 2024 7:10 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:Uhhh that Canton, ok storm better go warned real fast…

Edit: think what I was was seeing was a side beam false positive. Coincided with a circular cc drop, but probably nothing on the ground yet since it disappeared. Clearly I’m on edge for this event.

Edit 2: cc drop matches a genuine velocity signature on the Putnam cell, but after my misfire above I’m hesitant to call it :lol:

Edit 3: Putnam cell warned, I’ll settle for 1 out of 2. Hope everyone in the risk area is prepared, tonight is going to be rough

So far, spacing on the Oklahoma storms appears to be crowded enough to keep things in check. That's not to say things are "over," but glad we haven't seen a runaway discrete storm so far this evening.
3 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1097 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon May 06, 2024 7:35 pm

bubba hotep wrote:

So far, spacing on the Oklahoma storms appears to be crowded enough to keep things in check. That's not to say things are "over," but glad we haven't seen a runaway discrete storm so far this evening.

And it seems the ones that have been able to get going a bit more have been struggling with either broad and/or multiple rotations. The Hennessey storm is looking dangerous though and we're still just now starting to get to better parameters until after midnight so still a long way to go.
1 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#1098 Postby cheezyWXguy » Mon May 06, 2024 7:42 pm

ElectricStorm wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

And it seems the ones that have been able to get going a bit more have been struggling with either broad and/or multiple rotations. The Hennessey storm is looking dangerous though and we're still just now starting to get to better parameters until after midnight so still a long way to go.

Yep it’s great that the crowdedness has kept things in check so far, but as you said, it’s still early. On that note, the Arapaho cell is the one that really has my attention since it’s the least impeded at the moment
1 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1099 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon May 06, 2024 7:58 pm

Tulsa metro now in the high risk. First one in that area since 2012...

Conditions continue to become more favorable if any cells can remain discrete.
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1100 Postby bubba hotep » Mon May 06, 2024 7:59 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:
ElectricStorm wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

Yep it’s great that the crowdedness has kept things in check so far, but as you said, it’s still early. On that note, the Arapaho cell is the one that really has my attention since it’s the least impeded at the moment

Currently, it being the southern most cell, it does seem to pose the greatest threat.

The Covington cell has been warned for a long time and has looked impressive on radar. However, given the number of chasers out today, seems like we would have seen pics of a tornado or damage by this point if it was on the ground.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”