Not looking good for snow lovers in South MS

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
timNms
Category 5
Category 5

Not looking good for snow lovers in South MS

#1 Postby timNms » Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:10 am

NWS out of Jackson now only calling for snow flurries late Thursday night for us :( Maybe things will change for the better, but as of now, it's not looking too good.

Katdaddy posted some links to the MRF for 8-10 days out...hope that one doesn't turn out like the last few lol. I say if it ain't gonna snow, bring on the 90's!
0 likes   

HoumaLa
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2 Postby HoumaLa » Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:18 am

tim what part of ms are you from
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

Bastardi mentions major cold next week

#3 Postby timNms » Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:20 am

Hope it's ok to post his quote on here.

"Please do not get me wrong on what happens before that warmer signal can fight back. I have great worries about the severity of the cold in the deep south late next week. The aformentioned system that comes into the west coast early next week, if it has enough spacing between it any other system behind, may be what can drive the coldest air mass in over a decade into Texas. I cant pull the trigger on that yet, but the gun is cocked and the bullet cold. Do not underestimate how nasty this cold can be at its full potential. "
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

For Houma

#4 Postby timNms » Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:24 am

I'm about 20 miles north of Hattiesburg, MS.
0 likes   

wrkh99

#5 Postby wrkh99 » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:24 pm

i'm still going with North AL geting 2 to 4 inches the low should track to around Bham AL tomorrow night with Heavy snow NE of where the low goes.
0 likes   

Super Cell
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#6 Postby Super Cell » Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:38 pm

first of all before you can right off a snow event in south mississippi you have to look at a few factors..one we are about to go through some of the coldest temps since around 95..so we have cold air you have to have cold air before any chance of snow..two moisture...now that is the big problem in south mississippi usally when it is cold enough this means a large high pressure is in charge..how do you get the moisture you ask?? from the WEST..not the north..usally in a snow event you have over running moisture from the west..I say to all that read this start looking a little more closly to what is going on in the weather..not tomorrow but 10-14 days out..i believe you are going to see moisture under cut the ridge in the west and send a few impulse this way..This will be coupled with the coldest air of the year..Moisture+cold air=an ice event..Now i ask not to listen to me but go look at the gfs it is already starting to hint of what is to occur..if you have time go to accu weather and click the long range joe kinda lays it out..not saying joe is GOD by far but he is darn good..now all we can do is look wish and wait..is this not fun.....
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

Hey Super Cell

#7 Postby timNms » Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:07 pm

A friend of mine sent me a link to that model...does look interesting for us. My friend says it looks like areas around Hattiesburg/Laurel could see 2 to 5 inches of snow if the model verifies. Of course, it's a few days out and we all know how they change. I'm with you, the waiting is terrible.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”