Florida Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Florida Weather

#11981 Postby gatorcane » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:18 pm

It has finally warmed here in South Florida and now for the foreseeable future the weather is going to be near ideal with near 80 in the day and near 70 at night but without the unbearable summer-time humidity levels. This is the type of weather folks pay big bucks for. Glad that cold is over, too cold for me!
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#11982 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:19 pm

psyclone wrote:Considering the extent of the cold expected to invade the country...it's likely that some of it eventually makes it here. Look for the warm anomalies to retreat in the extended outlooks in the coming days. that trend has already begun. maybe it cools off around or just before new year's. Christmas looks warm though.

Right now it looks as if the NAO may go negative again towards the end of the month but so will the PNA which needs to be positive in order to make the colder air plunge south instead of just progressing eastward.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11983 Postby psyclone » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:26 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
psyclone wrote:Considering the extent of the cold expected to invade the country...it's likely that some of it eventually makes it here. Look for the warm anomalies to retreat in the extended outlooks in the coming days. that trend has already begun. maybe it cools off around or just before new year's. Christmas looks warm though.

Right now it looks as if the NAO may go negative again towards the end of the month but so will the PNA which needs to be positive in order to make the colder air plunge south instead of just progressing eastward.

yeah it might be just enough to take the edge off...maybe back close to or a shade above normal
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11984 Postby psyclone » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:30 pm

gatorcane wrote:It has finally warmed here in South Florida and now for the foreseeable future the weather is going to be near ideal with near 80 in the day and near 70 at night but without the unbearable summer-time humidity levels. This is the type of weather folks pay big bucks for. Glad that cold is over, too cold for me!

I agree. warm but not the freakish heat/humidity of the last 2 years. I see lots of 70's to near 80 here with 60's for lows which is divine for folks seeking a Winter respite. For vacationers, Florida at Christmas is a gamble...it could be nice but it could be miserable. This year is looking good.
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11985 Postby chaser1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:30 pm

WINTER SEASON CANCEL
(there, I said it :cheesy: )

Oh, no doubt we'll see at least some very progressive mid Jan. to mid Feb. Pacific air fronts come through. Maybe we'll get a couple nasty Gulf systems to tear through in Feb. I'm sure we'll get a couple more quick doses of "coldish" air during the upcoming 3 monthes. Just hope we dont keep a Ridge of Death pattern over Florida for the long haul
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11986 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:50 am

:uarrow: Not so fast my fellow Floridian neighbors about Winter cancel posts. You are kidding me right folks? Take a look at the latest GFS and EURO runs and they ate quite the eye openers!!

The latest 0Z GFS is showing a MASSIVE Arctic High (1058 mb) dropping out of Saskatchewan southeast into the CONUS Plains. during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day , going right into the remainder of the rest of the next 10 day period. The GFS, if correct, is showing a potential EPIC arctic outbreak to come upon much of the Central and Eastern CONUS next week. The 0Z EURO is showing 1060.mb next week.

A massive Arctic High like that would shove that Southeast Ridge well off to the south and east. The potential of very cold temps could impact all the way down to the Gulf Coast next week. So, pay close watch for future runs, as Old Man Winter may be starting this winter season with quite a big bang indeed.. More later...
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11987 Postby gatorcane » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:47 am

Wow look at the 00Z GFS temps for Florida Dec 28th. Gulp :cold:. Thankfully the 06Z shows something entirely different

0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#11988 Postby boca » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:05 am

That cold weather in Florida that the GFS has is like a cat 5 hitting Miami at 384 hour.
1 likes   

HURRICANELONNY
Category 5
Category 5

#11989 Postby HURRICANELONNY » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:52 am

Lol. Maybe it's a sign of cooler weather coming end of year. Lets see if the euro sniffs something out on later runs.
:roll:
0 likes   
hurricanelonny

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11990 Postby psyclone » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:53 pm

Let's hope those depictions don't come to pass. I have no problem with some cool weather but I'm vehemently anti freeze. it's miserable and causes economic chaos. fortunately they've been overdone in the past. Nevertheless eventually colder air squashes the southeast ridge we cool off after Christmas...just hopefully nothing excessive.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#11991 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:43 pm

boca wrote:That cold weather in Florida that the GFS has is like a cat 5 hitting Miami at 384 hour.

Good thing chances of that happening are pretty much slim to none. The GFS is garbage beyond 5 days in my opinion. The Euro isn’t too far behind especially in its 8-10 day range this year. By the way, the 12z Euro shows no signs of that extreme arctic air penetrating South and East as it shows a pretty decent ridge centered off the SE U.S. throughout its run.

I’m ok with that since I’ll be in The Bahamas December 27th-January 4th so here’s to hoping that any successful cold front passage holds off until January 4th or beyond.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#11992 Postby boca » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Cold air in Florida during a La Niña is rare especially very cold and I feel it will not happen and if it does it will be progressive and the SE ridge will win out just like the last 7 years.
0 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#11993 Postby MetroMike » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:43 pm

NWS Tampa Bay pm forecast disc. Calls for possible flirtations with record highs around X-mas.
Would be the 3rd year in a row for such high temps around Christmas.
I would not complain myself.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11994 Postby psyclone » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:38 pm

MetroMike wrote:NWS Tampa Bay pm forecast disc. Calls for possible flirtations with record highs around X-mas.
Would be the 3rd year in a row for such high temps around Christmas.
I would not complain myself.

Even the possibility is incredible to contemplate. Looks like my climo argument against another 80+ Christmas is about to blow up in my face. It's going to be interesting to see how things evolve.
1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11995 Postby chaser1 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:26 am

northjaxpro wrote::uarrow: Not so fast my fellow Floridian neighbors about Winter cancel posts. You are kidding me right folks? Take a look at the latest GFS and EURO runs and they ate quite the eye openers!!

The latest 0Z GFS is showing a MASSIVE Arctic High (1058 mb) dropping out of Saskatchewan southeast into the CONUS Plains. during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day , going right into the remainder of the rest of the next 10 day period. The GFS, if correct, is showing a potential EPIC arctic outbreak to come upon much of the Central and Eastern CONUS next week. The 0Z EURO is showing 1060.mb next week.

A massive Arctic High like that would shove that Southeast Ridge well off to the south and east. The potential of very cold temps could impact all the way down to the Gulf Coast next week. So, pay close watch for future runs, as Old Man Winter may be starting this winter season with quite a big bang indeed.. More later...

Well, a surface high that strong is rather impressive. I can see a pretty tight gradient here as a result. Problem is, I just dont think we'll see it from a NNW direction. You could be right about some cold breaching our 70's/80's temps closer toward the last couple days of this year, but until I see at least a couple of back to back model runs depicting troughing a bit further toward the E. Conus..... I'm just not thinking we're gonna see 30's for lows south of Gainesville. Maybe around New Years Eve but that's a bit far out to really speculate.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#11996 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:53 am

boca wrote:Cold air in Florida during a La Niña is rare especially very cold and I feel it will not happen and if it does it will be progressive and the SE ridge will win out just like the last 7 years.

The state of the ENSO really has nothing to do with our chances of seeing colder air down here in the Florida peninsula as December 2010 showed us it is possible even in a La Niña.
0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#11997 Postby boca » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:59 am

I think in 2010 we had a El Niño.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#11998 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:04 am

boca wrote:I think in 2010 we had a El Niño.

That was in early 2010, December 2010 was a La Niña.
0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#11999 Postby boca » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:01 am

Ok cool I wasn't sure which it was but I just want a few weeks of what we just had last week.
0 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#12000 Postby Patrick99 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:02 am

Doesn't, "in general," though, La Nina contribute to pumping up that subtropical SW Atlantic ridging? Sometimes that can be the difference. I seem to remember several occasions the last few years when central and north Florida got cold air, but for south Florida, this ridge ended up holding tight and didn't allow any more southward progression of cold air.
1 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”