Florida Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Florida Weather

#12921 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:18 pm

:uarrow: Well mlfreeman hindsight always is 20/20. I posted that back on Thursday prior to Florence making landfall. Obviously everyone in North Florida since Friday has been feeling the very hot temps from the subsidence typically seen on the back side of tropical cyclones. I definitely knew and anticipated the heat and sinking air was coming in for sure for Northeast Florida area.

Oh well, you get my point right since you are being technical about the matter.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12922 Postby psyclone » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:25 am

we have endured a uniquely hideous week in the bay area WRT to excessive heat/humidity. A few days back Tampa registered a record high of 95 after a morning low of 81. that's got to be one of the highest averages of the summer. Not to be outdone it looks like this mornings low was 84. combined with upper 70's dewpoints the lowest heat index I could find overnight was 94. It is like putting your head in the dishwasher. And here we are at noon at Tampa the temp is already 91 with a 78 degree dewpoint which yields a heat index of 106. I can not remember heat and humidity this persistently obnoxious this late in the season. it is really incredible. I must say it is amazing pool and beach weather. I'm headed to the beach later this afternoon to make the most of it..
1 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#12923 Postby MetroMike » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:53 am

psyclone wrote:we have endured a uniquely hideous week in the bay area WRT to excessive heat/humidity. A few days back Tampa registered a record high of 95 after a morning low of 81. that's got to be one of the highest averages of the summer. Not to be outdone it looks like this mornings low was 84. combined with upper 70's dewpoints the lowest heat index I could find overnight was 94. It is like putting your head in the dishwasher. And here we are at noon at Tampa the temp is already 91 with a 78 degree dewpoint which yields a heat index of 106. I can not remember heat and humidity this persistently obnoxious this late in the season. it is really incredible. I must say it is amazing pool and beach weather. I'm headed to the beach later this afternoon to make the most of it..

Good luck at the beach. Scattered red tide here and there.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12924 Postby psyclone » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:58 am

:uarrow: I was at honeymoon yesterday and there were a few dead fish but not bad. nothing like 2005 which featured huge fishkills for months on end
1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#12925 Postby LarryWx » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:05 pm

At Gainesville yesterday, the high was 97 and the low 79. The 97 ties with 6/24 for the hottest high of the season and the 79 is THE warmest low of the season to date! Ah, the glories (or lack thereof lol) of being on the dry and subsident SW side of Flo!

Meanwhile, today’s preliminary low was way up at 81! If they don’t get rain today, they might not get back below 79-81 by midnight thus giving them at least as warm a low today as the 79 of yesterday.

Aside: Atlanta has highs of 95 the last 2 days, which are the hottest of the year to date!
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

mlfreeman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12926 Postby mlfreeman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:51 pm

northjaxpro wrote::uarrow: Well mlfreeman hindsight always is 20/20. I posted that back on Thursday prior to Florence making landfall. Obviously everyone in North Florida since Friday has been feeling the very hot temps from the subsidence typically seen on the back side of tropical cyclones. I definitely knew and anticipated the heat and sinking air was coming in for sure for Northeast Florida area.

Oh well, you get my point right since you are being technical about the matter.

Yeah, I do.
I was just venting about it being so hot.
I think it was hotter than any projection I saw.

On the flip side, the brief dry-out doesn't hurt (for my neighborhood anyway - the retention pond has been running at a high level all summer long).
0 likes   

canes92
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#12927 Postby canes92 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:58 am

September is the worst month weather wise in FL.
0 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#12928 Postby Patrick99 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:32 am

psyclone wrote:we have endured a uniquely hideous week in the bay area WRT to excessive heat/humidity. A few days back Tampa registered a record high of 95 after a morning low of 81. that's got to be one of the highest averages of the summer. Not to be outdone it looks like this mornings low was 84. combined with upper 70's dewpoints the lowest heat index I could find overnight was 94. It is like putting your head in the dishwasher. And here we are at noon at Tampa the temp is already 91 with a 78 degree dewpoint which yields a heat index of 106. I can not remember heat and humidity this persistently obnoxious this late in the season. it is really incredible. I must say it is amazing pool and beach weather. I'm headed to the beach later this afternoon to make the most of it..

I've spent plenty of days in Tampa during the summer, and to me it always feels even hotter than Miami. All that Gulf humidity combined with my feeling that the west coast sea breeze typically just isn't as strong as the east coast sea breeze, so it never seems to have a lot of cooling power, at least not to me.
0 likes   

Taffy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12929 Postby Taffy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:40 am

So funny. I came in to whine. Where are the cool fronts? The ones that drop the oppressive heat. I knew why we heated up when it was just starting to get comfortable ish before Florence. Still going to whine. When will the weather drop back into the upper 80s without the oppressive humidity we have on top of us now. I am a native. I know that it ebbs and flows until the first front in October. However, I can usually feel the slightest change in September. I felt it before Florence. She needs to leave and take her nonsense with her. I want this anvil off my state. Whine over.
0 likes   
Taffy-SW Florida

mlfreeman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12930 Postby mlfreeman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:57 pm

Still in the middle of a rather strong storm down here in Mandarin.
2.7 inches so far since 7 PM and counting.

Hail too...found some of the pieces of ice on the garage floor (garage door was cracked open for kitty to hide from the weather).

Flat and maybe dime sized but they melted too quickly for me to get back into the house and get a coin / phone to measure and record.

It seemed to form basically overhead and doesn't want to move, though at one point it was clear to the NE and raining to the SE...then the clouds filled back in.
2 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12931 Postby chaser1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:01 pm

psyclone wrote::uarrow: I was at honeymoon yesterday and there were a few dead fish but not bad. nothing like 2005 which featured huge fishkills for months on end

Just curious because I've never been to the island. Are there typically a lot of shells or sharks teeth there?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12932 Postby chaser1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:12 pm

Couldn't agree more with the rest of you. Just miserably hot and humid. Mid to late October couldn't get here fast enough! Just watch. With our luck, we'll have another tropical cyclone "close approach" from the Southeast and then suddenly re-curve while tracking north..... just to torture the state with a bit more westerly flow for a few days in Oct?!
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#12933 Postby Patrick99 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:28 am

Why is it still so dry right now in Miami (in terms of rainfall, not humidity)? I haven't seen a drop of anything measurable in almost 2 weeks.
0 likes   

Taffy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12934 Postby Taffy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:01 am

Post by Patrick99 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:28 pm

Why is it still so dry right now in Miami (in terms of rainfall, not humidity)? I haven't seen a drop of anything measurable in almost 2 weeks.

That is an awful long time without rain!
0 likes   
Taffy-SW Florida

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12935 Postby psyclone » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:10 am

chaser1 wrote:
psyclone wrote::uarrow: I was at honeymoon yesterday and there were a few dead fish but not bad. nothing like 2005 which featured huge fishkills for months on end

Just curious because I've never been to the island. Are there typically a lot of shells or sharks teeth there?

Lots of shells and sand dollars. there's alot of fill rock (remains of 1960's development aspirations) which is a pain but overall it's pretty nice considering the otherwise heavily built up/urban setting of the area.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12936 Postby psyclone » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:16 am

We finally had a big thunderstorm last night which broke the heat and helped us end the streak of 80+ degree lows. KTPA did register a high of 96 yesterday which broke the record for the date and tied the September all time high. We're in the running for the warmest September. If reached it would join February as an all time warmest month in 2018. I can't help but notice the CPC 8-14 day outlook has been depicting a big cool down across the east with cool anomalies slowly bleeding south and eastward in subsequent outlooks. If that trend remains intact Fall could be here rather quickly as we turn the calendar into October.
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#12937 Postby Shell Mound » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:29 am

Patrick99 wrote:Why is it still so dry right now in Miami (in terms of rainfall, not humidity)? I haven't seen a drop of anything measurable in almost 2 weeks.

Strong, persistent easterly flow has confined convection to the west coast of the peninsula, owing to the relative weakness of the west-coast sea breeze.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#12938 Postby boca » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:27 pm

Here in Boca Raton we been very dry no afternoon storms.We only had two rain events Alberto in May and Gordon on Labor Day. No rain to speak of between,zero tropical waves. If it does rain it just dirties up the windshield because it lasts 10 seconds.Another disappointment as far as rain goes down here.
1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12939 Postby chaser1 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:15 pm

I'm getting SO heat punch-drunk that I'm strongly considering whatever the cheapest and fastest excursion out of here just to get a brief taste of more fall-like evening 60's and daytime max in the 70's for a day or two! So far it looks like an 8 hour trip (each way) and $255 in gas will get me to the mountains of N. Georgia, but add lodging and food for a couple days..... and I suppose i'll stay put and endure :wink:
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#12940 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:08 am

Until the ongoing +NAO period ends this could be delayed into November. Still with the oncoming expected El Niño we are expected to have at least a normal to slightly cooler than average winter according to the CPC.

https://twitter.com/glennglazer/status/1044164258974568448

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”