Florida Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Florida Weather

#16541 Postby psyclone » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:40 pm

After another weekend of cold/breezy weather it looks like we're finally going to have some nicer weather by mid next week. Let's hope. it's been a cloudy, chilly and frequently miserable month and half around here..
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16542 Postby psyclone » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:27 pm

For those looking for nicer weather (where nice = sun and warmth) the extended outlooks all tilt warm and dry...so maybe the 2nd half will be better. Despite all the cool weather, we haven't had a threat of freezing temps this winter and that streak looks to remain intact..
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16543 Postby gatorcane » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:29 pm

The GFS is back to putting much of the state into the freezer after several runs of it staying bottled up north :cold: :double:

The models are definitely trying to figure out what to do with the arctic airmass in the long-range and it bears watching here in Florida given the persistent below normal pattern this winter so far.

Watch it descend: :eek:

0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16544 Postby psyclone » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:44 pm

Too many long range fake outs from the GFS to give it much credence but this is a little closer in at the right time of the year. My gut says no meaningful freeze threat this year...but we still have time. In the near term...a nice sunny warm up is on tap after this weekend's chilly temps.
0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#16545 Postby boca » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:21 pm

We have a better shot at a hurricane forming in January and hitting Miami than getting an arctic front here in South Florida it’s not going to happen because of the blocking taking place off Greenland that NDG brought up a couple of days ago.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16546 Postby NDG » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:29 am

gatorcane wrote:The GFS is back to putting much of the state into the freezer after several runs of it staying bottled up north :cold: :double:

The models are definitely trying to figure out what to do with the arctic airmass in the long-range and it bears watching here in Florida given the persistent below normal pattern this winter so far.

https://i.postimg.cc/C149jBYD/gfs-T2m-seus-49.png

Watch it descend: :eek:

https://i.postimg.cc/8c4JQHG5/gfs-T2ma-us-fh192-288.gif

Come on gatorcane, if you are going to post such an extreme GFS run on its long range at least wait for some consistency, not just from one run, along with some support from its ensembles :wink:

There could be an Arctic intrussion into the US but the GEFS sypnotic set up does not support its core to dive south into FL.

1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16547 Postby NDG » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:53 am

Fairly cool weather pattern this Meteorological Winter so far across the Gulf Coast and FL but not one record low here in FL from the I-4 corridor down to S FL, unlike December 2010.
The same blocking up in Canada that has kept a very active cool pattern across the south has kept the Arctic air from coming across Canada into the US.

0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#16548 Postby boca » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:31 pm

It looks like the cool weather is about to end and be replaced by warm and dry. Someone wake me up when we get another pattern change this is absolutely dull. I guess I’ll live on the Texas thread hoping for exciting weather for them.The NAO looks like it will be positive in the next few weeks.
0 likes   

HURRICANELONNY
Category 5
Category 5

#16549 Postby HURRICANELONNY » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:52 pm

I love this winter so far. Cool nights and warm days. Don't remember wearing my hoodie so much this winter in long time. NAO/AO been pretty negative this year then past years. Keeping us pretty cool. Haven't seen 80 in awhile. PNA going negative probably keep the impending artic air farther west. So I guess enjoy the cool/warm weather. Cause thats all we got. 8-)
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... /pna.shtml
0 likes   
hurricanelonny

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16550 Postby NDG » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:53 am

:uarrow: Yeah, the upcoming -PNA pattern will keep the core of the cold air well to the north and west of us, it will also bring much needed rains to California.
0 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#16551 Postby Patrick99 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:10 pm

boca wrote:It looks like the cool weather is about to end and be replaced by warm and dry. Someone wake me up when we get another pattern change this is absolutely dull. I guess I’ll live on the Texas thread hoping for exciting weather for them.The NAO looks like it will be positive in the next few weeks.

It's amazing how "normal" it has been. Hasn't been cooler than normal, hasn't been warmer than normal.

Got to expect the SW Atlantic/Caribbean ridge to start flexing its muscle near or over us at some point soon. Especially with a +NAO.
0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#16552 Postby boca » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:45 pm

I enjoyed the cool weather for the last 3 weeks.The pattern is ending and the southeast ridge will be back and keep us in the low to mid 80s and low 70s at night and the ac will have to go back on. Let’s also hope we get rain soon as well.
0 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#16553 Postby Patrick99 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:45 pm

GFS isn't showing much rain for us. Next Thursday-Friday-Sat looks cool-ish but nothing crazy. Beginning to strongly suspect that South Florida makes it through another winter without any freezes, much less any significant ones. Climatologically, we've basically got until Feb. 9-10, Valentine's Day at the latest, but if it didn't happen in January with a -NAO, that's probably it for this winter.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16554 Postby psyclone » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:06 pm

:uarrow: I think you're right WRT freeze potential. we've skated through the most dangerous time of year. Now that we're a month post solstice the longer days will work their magic. It's kind of impressive that we had a good bit of temps normal to somewhat below normal but not a single meaningful freeze threat through early and mid winter. Just like hurricane season we thread the needle quite a bit...thank goodness. This upcoming sunny and warm weather is going to be divine
3 likes   

HURRICANELONNY
Category 5
Category 5

#16555 Postby HURRICANELONNY » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:20 pm

Long way out. But maybe some more cold in about 10 days according to NWS:
A day or two outside of the long term period
gets spicy as a deep, amplifying trough and low pressure system
crosses the eastern CONUS and pushes a strong cold front through
South Florida. Since this is outside the 7 day forecast period,
uncertainty exists, though models suggest a much cooler
continental airmass advects into the region.
0 likes   
hurricanelonny

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16556 Postby NDG » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:41 am

HURRICANELONNY wrote:Long way out. But maybe some more cold in about 10 days according to NWS:

I am really surprised how the Miami NWS office sticks its head past the 7 day range, especially in this case when is only the GFS that has been showing a strong back door cold front passing through next weekend, which don't amount to too much in colder temps down there.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16557 Postby NDG » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:53 am

Nothing but a typical La Nina pattern setting in across FL over the next couple of weeks, time to turn on the A/C & sprinklers, lots of flowering plants & trees will be blooming.

0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#16558 Postby boca » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:25 pm

NDG wrote:
HURRICANELONNY wrote:Long way out. But maybe some more cold in about 10 days according to NWS:

I am really surprised how the Miami NWS office sticks its head past the 7 day range, especially in this case when is only the GFS that has been showing a strong back door cold front passing through next weekend, which don't amount to too much in colder temps down there.[/quote

Key West NWS does that too once in awhile but I read Tampa and Melbourne just to get consistency, but Miami will stick its neck out just to be wrong in a few days from now. I just looked at NWS Miami and the dropped the strong cold front idea( what a shocker NOT!!!). My ac is ready to go again.
1 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#16559 Postby Patrick99 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:33 pm

boca wrote:
NDG wrote:

I am really surprised how the Miami NWS office sticks its head past the 7 day range, especially in this case when is only the GFS that has been showing a strong back door cold front passing through next weekend, which don't amount to too much in colder temps down there.[/quote

Key West NWS does that too once in awhile but I read Tampa and Melbourne just to get consistency, but Miami will stick its neck out just to be wrong in a few days from now. I just looked at NWS Miami and the dropped the strong cold front idea( what a shocker NOT!!!). My ac is ready to go again.

Yeah, I am not sure what they were looking at. One GFS run? I must have missed that one. It does look cooler in that timeframe, but hardly noteworthy for now.
0 likes   

HURRICANELONNY
Category 5
Category 5

#16560 Postby HURRICANELONNY » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:33 am

I don't remember the scientists name and I gotta get ready for work but he studies the polar vortex. It is hard to figure where the artic air will end up. Europe for sure but the US is hard to pinpoint timing and vector. They keep talking about warming in the stratophere and its effect on how much cold will come in the US. I guess its hard to figure out. By the way the front is back for us in a week. Don't know what models shows it. It's in the MIami Discussion 1/22.
Present indications are that more substantial
surface cyclogenesis will occur off the Carolinas Coast on Thursday
in response to strong upper-level forcing. This will lead to the
development of a trailing cold front (potentially robust) across
the eastern Gulf of Mexico -- which should move toward South
Florida late in the week. Model guidance is fairly consistent
with a strong cold front moving through the area, though
differences in timing of the frontal passage remain evident. :roll:
0 likes   
hurricanelonny

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”